What's the translation between Delcamp lessons and RCM?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Jason Kulas

What's the translation between Delcamp lessons and RCM?

Post by Jason Kulas » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:16 pm

I've seen a lot of sheet music being summarized as being at a certain RCM level. I don't know the RCM lessons, so I don't know what the grades mean. I am working with the online Delcamp lessons (+ other methods). Can any translation made between RCM and the Delcamp lessons? Like is RCM 1 equivalent to...halfway through Delcamp D01? All the way through D02? etc. And so on for each RCM level.
Beginner. Yamaha G-50A. Connecticut, USA

Larry McDonald
Teacher

Re: What's the translation between Delcamp lessons and RCM?

Post by Larry McDonald » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:54 pm

Hi,
We're not ignoring you, I just don't think anyone has done this yet. I never did the comparison, anyway. Good question. I have a list of the different items mostly derived from the RCM series. It has technique/musicianship skills that need to be acquired for each level. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=125100&p=1332386#p1332386. (Note that the forum software has combine a few lines.)
You can do the comparisons with this as a basis.
All the best,
Lare
Dr. Lawrence A. McDonald, D.M.A., Art Kaplan Fellow
Author of The Conservatory Tutor for Guitar
2018 Michael Thames "Ancient Dragon" Cd/Ir
2008 Michael Thames Cd/Br
Royal Conservatory Advanced Guitar and Theory Instructor

Jason Kulas

Post by Jason Kulas » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:38 pm

Larry McDonald wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:54 pm
We're not ignoring you, I just don't think anyone has done this yet.
Heh, I just figured the forum can't always quickly answer all questions...not everyone visits all the time.

It would be good to know, because then I would know at what point in time I should be buying which music (since I see lots that's equated to RCM level).

Looking at your linked post, there's a lot of terms I don't know what they mean...that's a lot of Googling...or I'm going to have to find a good glossary. I don't want to wait until I just naturally "know" all terms of a given level...I might learn a concept without the same name, and not realize I know some things of a certain RCM level.

BTW, I bought your first method book, looking forward to checking it out.

Larry McDonald
Teacher

Post by Larry McDonald » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:23 am

Hi Jason,
It always surprises me how many practitioners of guitar don't know the names of the skills that they need to practice. But you are absolutely correct when you say...

"Looking at your linked post, there's a lot of terms I don't know what they mean...that's a lot of Googling...or I'm going to have to find a good glossary. I don't want to wait until I just naturally "know" all terms of a given level...I might learn a concept without the same name, and not realize I know some things of a certain RCM level.".

Thanks for buying my book; I saw to it that it shipped this morning. Don't hesitate to email me if you have any questions.

-Lare

Jason Kulas

Post by Jason Kulas » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:39 am

Larry McDonald wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:23 am
It always surprises me how many practitioners of guitar don't know the names of the skills that they need to practice.
Well I'm pretty new, so maybe it won't be an issue. But I'm not in formal music education, nor studying music theory, and I don't know if some of the method books I'm using will lead me to learn how to do something, without giving me the [current?] formal terms for it. I guess we'll see. Your book will do it all for me, right? :wink:

Larry McDonald
Teacher

Post by Larry McDonald » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:15 am

Hi,
Wow, I totally came off as a pompous ass in the above quote. I was completely unclear. Just to be clear, I wasn't referring to you (or students in general) in the quote above. I was referring to performers, "teachers", master-class instructors, and a few posters on this forum who have on occasion given really terrible advice.

Please accept my apologies.

By design, my books are woefully lacking in pedagogical theory. I didn't want to burden the student with too much fussy nomenclature. So they can't help you there. I do have a teacher's edition in a dusty 10 inch pile next to my desk, somewhere around here anyway, that delves into the kind of detail that an instructor would need. I've had zero interest from outside my studio to get it ready for publication, so don't look for this book anytime soon.

Nevertheless, feel free to ask about any of the topics on my list and I will do my best to explain them. If we use a new thread each time we might entice a few others to help us out, which is truly important because I can be a bit "unclear" at times.

All the best,
Lare

Jason Kulas

Post by Jason Kulas » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:02 pm

Larry McDonald wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:15 am
Please accept my apologies.
LOL, no problem! :wink:

>By design, my books are woefully lacking in pedagogical theory.

Yeah, I'm sort of expecting that kind of depth may be lacking in many method books. But while I've skimmed later material out of curiosity, I won't be studying it until the appropriate time, so I don't actually now. And it's fine by me anyway...I'm not currently looking for theory. I just want to play beautiful things. And the early Noad exercises and "Spanish Study" already qualify as that for me...although I'm eager for when I can handle longer and more complex pieces.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”