Both Classical and Electric Guitar?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
spanishguitarmusic

Re: Both Classical and Electric Guitar?

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:28 am

This is a great post! I started playing electric guitar and later on I also had a classical guitar at the same time. I was younger, so I basically just enjoyed and played electric guitar. Although, the classical guitar was always in the background. Then as I got older, I sold my electric guitar and just concentrated on cg. Now, there are some days where I am starting to miss the electric guitar and I just feel like rocking out, especially since I have a small Marshall practice amp still in the house. I have been actually thinking about getting an electric guitar one day and starting to learn things on it. Doesn't help that some times I watch electric guitar playing videos on YouTube. Anyway, I love classical guitar and I don't think I would be able to put it aside in favor for electric guitar. :merci:

2handband

Post by 2handband » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:52 am

Ok, a couple people seem to want to work on their strumming. Since I am too lazy to separate out just the relevant stuff and put it in a separate document I'll just post a link to my entire Level 1A rock rhythm guitar PDF and refer you to the relevant pages. My methodology for teaching open chords and strumming is that we focus almost entirely on the left hand chord shapes at first, and while we learn those we work on keeping a nice steady pulse with quarter note downstrokes. If you look at page 5 of the PDF (your reader will probably call it page 6 as it counts the title page) I have a bunch of charts for chords that you probably already know, and then a bunch of progressions. I have midi jam tracks for each of those progressions which you guys probably don't need but I suppose I can upload them if anyone wants. Once again they are practiced, for starters, with quarter note downstrums only.

On Page 6 there are a couple more chords and another progression, and then a basic explanation of time and specifically eighth notes... strumming is basically all about 8th notes. There's a little exercise where you mute the strings and practice the basic motion... downstums on the downbeat, upstrums on the upbeat.

The real meat starts on page 7. It's very simple: for each of the tables, strum where there is an X, skip where there is not. It starts with the simplest way to create patterns which is leaving out upbeats. At first I recommend just sitting on one chord, preferably a six string chord like E or G so we don't have to worry about accuracy. Or you can just mute the strings if you want. Ideally the student will practice with a metronome and ALWAYS tap a foot. Then you can graduate to playing each pattern with the progressions on the previous two pages or your own if you prefer. remember that when you are NOT playing an upstrum on a given upbeat your picking hand still performs an upward stumming motion... you just miss the strings. I provide five, and leave space to create four of your own.

On page 8 we introduce patterns in which downbeats are not strummed. This is harder but you'll get a lot of mileage out of it, especially patterns that leave out the downbeat of three. There are some create your own examples, with the caveat that the first beat should (for now at least) always be strummed. Once again start out practicing each pattern on one chord or with muted strings, then graduate to progressions. The metronome is your friend.

Page nine is where we leave out both some downstrokes AND upstrokes. I give one example and the rest are create your own. Same rules apply as before.

This PDF is obviously not for self-instruction. If anyone is curious to know what the hell I'm doing with any of the other stuff in here don't hesitate to ask...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6W7z ... Wxwd2xFa1U

1abRT

Post by 1abRT » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:53 pm

Did anyone try trimming the nails very short to alternate more easily ?

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:39 pm

Godin Multiac electric nylon-strung classical guitar with a processor like a Zoom or Digitech pedal is another way to get the blues-rock sound without having to switch guitars or deal with different neck widths. Since I got my Multiac Nylon 7-string, I have rarely touched my steel-strung electrics, but I am Music Director for a singer who likes to occasionally rock out, so the multi with a processor and/or Roland guitar synth provides all the sounds I need. The major difference is that bending nylon strings will only give you a half-step, whereas skinny metal strings will allow you to bend as much as a 3rd or 4th. The 7th string allows for bass line playing, great for Bossa-novas or swing jazz, and the RMC pickup system gets a very good "classical" sound for outdoor wedding gigs or playing with a group while still having a classical/flamenco sound.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Todd Tipton
Teacher

Post by Todd Tipton » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:08 pm

Hey,

I wanted to chime in, but didn't read every post. My sincere apologies if I repeat what someone has already said; call me on it! ...lol

Like many are suggesting, go for it! A couple of things to maybe consider that work for me:

1. The nails. An old trick from when I used to play baroque guitar and vihuela: I file my nails in such a way that they are perfect for the classical guitar, but also allow for only flesh playing with an outward tilt similar to the way lutenists play. This is something I've carried over into the electric playing. This may or may not work for you depending on exactly what your right hand is doing on the electric, but I figured it was worth mentioning.

2. Don't make assumptions about various techniques. What I mean is, there are some people that will sometimes assume that classical technique is always superior. Nothing could be further from the truth. If you examine the best players in various genres you will see some very different techniques. And they are almost always for a very good reason. As two examples off the top of my head, there is a reason why blues players wrap their hand around the neck. There is a reason why metal players have a particular right hand stance with inactive fingers fully extended. When approaching something new, don't assume your classical technique will give the most efficient results. On the other hand, that careful attention to detail you've developed from the classical will serve you well on electric as you explore different techniques.

Happy Practicing!
Dr. Todd Tipton, Noda Guitar Studio
Charlotte, NC, USA (available via Skype)

CarbonElitist

Post by CarbonElitist » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:48 pm

Les Backshall wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:49 pm
Here's a clip of a much younger John Williams playing fingerstyle electric in his group Sky.
Search Youtube for "SKY - Cannonball (live)"

And another of kevin Peek, also fingerstyle, while JW plays his fabulous Ovation - on BBC's Top of the Pops :roll:
Search Youtube for "Sky - Toccata"

In a TV interview in his Sky days, Williams was asked the difference between playing classical and electric. He said it was the left hand - he really admired the way electric players zoomed all over the fretboard seemingly effortlessly. Then, when he played one, he discovered the action was so low, it actually was effortless - so he was less impressed.

Les
That's hilarious. Do you have a link to this interview?
"If at first you don't succeed, don't go skydiving."
"When I want expert advice, I look at the comment sections on DIY videos."

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”