Interest in an Analysis Forum?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Rick-in-Annapolis

Re: Interest in an Analysis Forum?

Post by Rick-in-Annapolis » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:19 pm

Count me in too. I have a LOT to learn in this area. It sounds like a great way to get started.

Tonyyyyy

Post by Tonyyyyy » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:55 am

:discussion: yes :bravo:

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:21 am

So, do we get one?

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:36 am

RobMacKillop wrote:So, do we get one?
Maybe there's a petition we can sign? Mods, what do we do!? :delcamp_ cool:
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)
Simon Ambridge 'Hauser' (2018)

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:40 am

Well no one has actually asked us for it yet :wink: . As there is evidently some support here, I'll discuss details with the other moderators and make a suggestion to M. Delcamp, but you may need to be patient, as he is usually only able to access the forum sporadically during August and so even if the idea is accepted, no changes are likely to be made until September.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Polifemo de Oro

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:22 pm

Great idea!

alfonso

Post by alfonso » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:45 pm

Excellent idea.

stevel

Post by stevel » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:29 am

I agree. A forum would be nice. However, those who are interested why not post a piece to analyze?

If you want to learn analysis, especially of classical era pieces (which is usually the focus of university level theory instruction) it's great to start with many of the simple little pieces one starts with in learning to play.

I have gone through a complete movement of a Haydn keyboard sonata on another forum and I don't mind taking the time to do it on a forum like this. I'll be happy to lend whatever knowledge I can (I have taught theory at the university level and have a master's in music composition).

I want to throw out a caution here:

Many people think "analyze" means, "name the chords". That's part of it, but there's much more to it than that. I posted on another forum today, "here are the chords:"

Gm7 - C7 - F7 - Bb - Gm - Bb - Eb

That's the opening to Bohemian Rhapsody. Now, how much does that analysis tell you about Bohemian Rhapsody?

Obviously, for some, just understanding what the chords are is a big step, but IMHO it's as important to learn about the form, how the chords fit in the key, functional progression, modulation, cadence structure, etc.

Also, many people think that there is a "universal" music theory and you can analyze anything with it. Not true. Each style needs its own set of standards. This is a difficult concept for some to grasp because Palestrina and Jazz both use notes and chords, but neither of them are strictly Tonal music and thus involve a different set of analysis tools with different goals in mind.

For example, the Milan Pavans are Modal, and not Tonal. They do however use recognizable chords. So for those needing to learn to identify chords, they make nice examples because in many cases the chords are neatly stacked. However, using Tonal terminology and concepts may not be as informative as one would like and a Modal analysis would be more appropriate (and informative). Same is true with Jazz - of course you can take some notes and work out what chords they are, but talking about "Sonata Form" may be of little use for most pieces.

So if someone picks a piece to analyze, be forewarned that it may be "unanalyzable" with regard to standard Common Practice Period terms and concepts and one has to accept that and learn what makes Modal music different from Tonality, and what's different about Atonality, and so on.

But if you start with CPP Tonality, that's where the bulk of university level study is focused, and where the most consistent information can be obtained and disseminated.

Steve

AO

Post by AO » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:17 am

Yes we need that, I tried to do something like that today and it failed, wasn't able to attach a jpeg.

Cheers,AO.

EricKatz

Post by EricKatz » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:42 am

stevel wrote: For example, the Milan Pavans are Modal, and not Tonal. They do however use recognizable chords. So for those needing to learn to identify chords, they make nice examples because in many cases the chords are neatly stacked. However, using Tonal terminology and concepts may not be as informative as one would like and a Modal analysis would be more appropriate (and informative).
Hi Steve,

Reading this, maybe you could shine your light on my question in another topic. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=97430&p=1036424#p1036380
Thanks!

Eric

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:40 am

Here is an excellent analysis of Manuel de Falla's "Homenaje de Claude Debussy" by Prof. Allan Neave:

https://vimeo.com/29037137
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Steve Kutzer

Post by Steve Kutzer » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:26 pm

Jack Dawkins wrote:I would be very interested in that, although whether I have anything to contribute is another matter...
+1
See my technology (and guitar!) site CIO Dojo

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:04 pm

Great idea. From time to time many members, including myself, have posted analyses. Might as well formalize it.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Brynmor

Post by Brynmor » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:46 pm

Count me in

Simon Volmer

Post by Simon Volmer » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:05 pm

Yes please! I would love to contribute what i know and learn what i don't know yet :)

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”