D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jules Wilkins
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 154
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:12 pm

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Jules Wilkins » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:09 am

MikeTaylor wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:30 am
Hello all,

I just wanted to make a small introduction. I have just discovered and joined this site. I realize I am very late in the game to be joining the lessons at this point but I wanted to get a start. I have tinkered with classical guitar for a number of years and for two different periods of time I have had instructors. Despite my efforts I have never really progressed past what I would describe as an advanced beginner, I am hoping to change that this go round. I doubt that I will be able to advance far enough through level one to challenge the exam however my real goal is to join either level two or three after working through the summer. I will post the previously lessons as I am able to complete them and I hope that I have something useful to add to the conversations. My first submissions will likely be audio only since I am already set up to record and I hope to incorporate video in a short time.

Thank you all in advance and I look forward to getting to know you,

Mike
Welcome to the group Mike.
It will of course be best if you can post videos. You don't need proper technique to play these first lessons so they sound OK, but getting the right positions is hugely important, and that is where feedback from our fellow students is so helpful.
"We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve." — Bill Gates
"The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement." — unknown

MikeTaylor
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:28 am
Location: Charleston, SC

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by MikeTaylor » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:03 am

[/quote]

Welcome to the group Mike.
It will of course be best if you can post videos. You don't need proper technique to play these first lessons so they sound OK, but getting the right positions is hugely important, and that is where feedback from our fellow students is so helpful.
[/quote]


Thank for your feedback,

Mike
“Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to"
"I don't much care where–"
"Then it doesn't matter which way you go”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

User avatar
Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:59 pm
Location: Marthasville, Missouri

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Christopher Langley » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:30 pm

MikeTaylor wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:30 am
Hello all,

I just wanted to make a small introduction. I have just discovered and joined this site. I realize I am very late in the game to be joining the lessons at this point but I wanted to get a start. I have tinkered with classical guitar for a number of years and for two different periods of time I have had instructors. Despite my efforts I have never really progressed past what I would describe as an advanced beginner, I am hoping to change that this go round. I doubt that I will be able to advance far enough through level one to challenge the exam however my real goal is to join either level two or three after working through the summer. I will post the previously lessons as I am able to complete them and I hope that I have something useful to add to the conversations. My first submissions will likely be audio only since I am already set up to record and I hope to incorporate video in a short time.

Thank you all in advance and I look forward to getting to know you,

Mike
Welcome to the lessons Mike.
I'm a returning student still stuck on lesson 2.. So no worries. You are in good company buddy.

The recordings sound good. Just keep at it!
How strange it is to be anything at all.
Cordoba CP110 - Hard Strings
Working On: D01-2 La Tete Bizarde

User avatar
Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:59 pm
Location: Marthasville, Missouri

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Christopher Langley » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:41 am

I put down the nylon guitar for a while.. I kept playing, but in different styles. Trying to make another go at classical. I re-recorded the songs from this first lesson as a kind of re-entry.







How strange it is to be anything at all.
Cordoba CP110 - Hard Strings
Working On: D01-2 La Tete Bizarde

Ed Butler
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 304
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:46 am
Location: Plymouth, MA, USA

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Ed Butler » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:37 pm

Hi Christopher - well done. I liked your finger alternation on the right hand, it seems a natural movement for you which will really help in the lessons going forward. Be careful with the left thumb on the left hand it looks like it is coming over the neck, which is actually useful in rock guitar, but it will make it difficult for some of the finger reaches in classical guitar.

Ed

User avatar
Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:59 pm
Location: Marthasville, Missouri

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Christopher Langley » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:20 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:37 pm
Hi Christopher - well done. I liked your finger alternation on the right hand, it seems a natural movement for you which will really help in the lessons going forward. Be careful with the left thumb on the left hand it looks like it is coming over the neck, which is actually useful in rock guitar, but it will make it difficult for some of the finger reaches in classical guitar.

Ed
Hey Ed! Thanks for watching and for the positive feedback. I wasn't sure if anyone would see it at all. I'm getting ready to record some d01 lesson 2 stuff!

The finger alternation is something I have actually had to work on a lot, I used to play with my first finger only, so I really very much appreciate you noticing my alternation!

I'm a little concerned about my tendency to stick out my pinky.. but I don't know how worried about it I should really be, it isn't causing me any discomfort, just doesn't look "loose" to me. If I think about loosening the pinky it will cooperate, so it might just be something that I need to focus on for a while and then hopefully it will learn to stay loose.

These recordings are so very useful for noticing little things like this.

It's funny that you mention my left hand thumb, people do tend to notice that on here, I guess a high thumb placement it isn't very commonly seen in classical guitar. I play a lot of blues, so my thumb has maybe learned some unorthodox habits from that. As long as it doesn't hold me back I'm not gonna worry about it too much. My thumb knows very well how to move down as I move from thinner to thicker strings to allow me to reach. :D
How strange it is to be anything at all.
Cordoba CP110 - Hard Strings
Working On: D01-2 La Tete Bizarde

andrethompson
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:22 am

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by andrethompson » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:05 pm

Hi Christopher

Well done!
As Ed said, watch out for the thumb.

- Andre

andrethompson
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:22 am

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by andrethompson » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:06 pm

Hi Christopher

Well done!
As Ed said, watch out for the thumb.
Nice of you to start practising again.

- Andre

User avatar
Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:59 pm
Location: Marthasville, Missouri

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Christopher Langley » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:35 pm

Thanks for the feedback Andre!

I've gotten up to the Irish Jig now.. I've got the notes memorized.

Hey, are we supposed to be always sight reading whilst we play? Or is it okay to memorize pieces?

I tend to internalize the pieces and then play them from memory instead of relying on the sheet music. If I start looking at the sheet music while I play I find I start becoming reliant on it, and that I then cannot recall the piece from memory without the sheet. Also, reading while playing just feels pretty awkward to me at times. I struggle if the notes jump multiple spaces/lines, I can't read stuff like that in tempo and play, it slows me down to a halt.

I do think my reading is getting a little faster though.. I'm probably just like the beginner who says his fingers are too short/fat/whatever. I think I'll get the hang of it eventually.. I should maybe set aside time to just practice reading.
How strange it is to be anything at all.
Cordoba CP110 - Hard Strings
Working On: D01-2 La Tete Bizarde

Ed Butler
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 304
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:46 am
Location: Plymouth, MA, USA

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Ed Butler » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:15 pm

Christopher - the more you can memorize correctly the better, especially as the pieces get more complicated. For me it is tough, because of my age but I still try to memorize the more difficult passages.

Ed

User avatar
Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:59 pm
Location: Marthasville, Missouri

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Christopher Langley » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:47 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:15 pm
Christopher - the more you can memorize correctly the better, especially as the pieces get more complicated. For me it is tough, because of my age but I still try to memorize the more difficult passages.

Ed
Thanks Ed, this is quite reassuring to me.

I am getting better at reading. I found it helps to write the notes down on the sheet paper.. Whatever works, right? I can see the use of having the piece written out now that I can read it a little easier. I think I will eventually be able to lose the training wheels of needing to write down the notes.
How strange it is to be anything at all.
Cordoba CP110 - Hard Strings
Working On: D01-2 La Tete Bizarde

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”