D02 Classical guitar lesson 06

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Ken Kim
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by Ken Kim » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:13 am

Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:18 pm
I used this recording to help me get past the drab nature of Pavane (I pictured this piece being played in some cold, dark castle somewhere ).

https://

youtu.be/h01MgfrVGvE

It's slow but it provided a musical context for me anyway.
Thank you for looking out for us, Tom. I'll also look into it. :merci:
Ken

♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥

Robert England Hauser / Amalio Burguet Especial
Cordoba C12SP, Torres & Rodriguez
Yamaha Silent SLG200NW / Ryoji Matsuoka M60

Linda Kimbrel

Post by Linda Kimbrel » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:18 pm

Ken Kim wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:52 pm
Linda Kimbrel wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:04 am
Hopefully here are my submissions for Lesson 6. (And it’s not even next month yet!). I finally figured out a simpler process for getting these posted.
Congratulation, Linda! You finally caught us. :discussion:
Well played both Sauteuse and Andantino. :bravo:
Same as previous comment on lesson 05.
Try to keep your pace slow. I also get faster and faster along with anxiety attack as the piece goes too long. haha
I tried iphone to record playing. You definitely need A MICROPHONE for it. Result was pretty bad because it sound so light and scratchy.
One more thing, you posted a wrong submission D minor scale instead of Slurs excercise #19.
Great job! :bye:
Thanks for catching my incorrect submission. I’ll get the right one up right away. I really do have an issue with anxiety as I near the end of a piece, I’m not surprised that this shows in my submissions. Some day I’ll have enough confidence to stay relaxed all the way through a piece. I hope.

I assume the iPhone mikes you talk about are actual physical instruments, not simply a “mike app” I can download to replicate a microphone? (Someone needs to develop an app like that!)
Thanks again
Linda

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:26 pm

Linda Kimbrel wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:18 pm
I assume the iPhone mikes you talk about are actual physical instruments, not simply a “mike app” I can download to replicate a microphone? (Someone needs to develop an app like that!)
Thanks again
Linda
Yes, I meant a physical mic not an app. I never had a chance to play Yamaha NTX700C. I just found out Its bracing patterns are similar to J.Ramirez. It might be warm and sweet also like Ramirez with better mic.
Ken

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:32 pm

Hi, all.
Pavane, last puzzle piece of 6th lesson. I was a bit confused to play this before Tom's suggestion. It is also a choral music. Any comments are welcome.
Ken

Linda Kimbrel

Post by Linda Kimbrel » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:42 pm

Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:18 pm
Linda Kimbrel wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:49 pm

For the record, “Pavane” to my mind must be the dreariest, dullest piece we have been assigned to date. It holds zero appeal for me, and I generally discipline myself to at least play through everything we are tasked with.

Linda Kimbrel
(Still pondering on a fitting signature)
Hi Linda,

I used this recording to help me get past the drab nature of Pavane (I pictured this piece being played in some cold, dark castle somewhere ).

https://

youtu.be/h01MgfrVGvE

It's slow but it provided a musical context for me anyway.
Tom: you pictured a dark castle. I imagined a somber, overlong religious service. In Latin. In a dimly lit, chilly, musty venue. Pretty dreary either vision. Thank you for the link. I wasn’t inspired by it, but I did give thought to why I’m here and what I hope to gain. Ken’s opinion is that each score and exercise for a lesson has an intent, a specific reason why it is included, and I agree. Each one is another brick in the wall (or foundation), so to speak. I’m trying to build a solid foundation of music theory and technique, and it won’t be as broad and sturdy as it could be if I just grab the bricks I like and leave the rest on the shelves.

I am going to give Pavane a try. I figure the bricks I’m tempted to ignore are the ones I need the most - being self-taught, I tended to learn what I liked and wanted to play. Key of C, simple arrangements, uncomplicated meters. Anything beyond that took more time and effort simply to decipher than I had available . I was trying to read without knowing the alphabet past “E”. Missing bricks.

Thanks for the encouragement. I include Robert in my gratitude, for reminding me that nobody always likes everything, but you do it anyway, because. In my case, because I need every brick I can get my hands if I want a decent foundation. :) :merci:

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:47 pm

Ken Kim wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:32 pm
Hi, all.
Pavane, last puzzle piece of 6th lesson. I was a bit confused to play this before Tom's suggestion. It is also a choral music. Any comments are welcome.
Hi Ken, Nice job! That was a tough one for me to play without hitting wrong notes. You nailed it for sure, and by the way, that's a great a sounding guitar. :bravo:
1989 Takamine C132S, Aquila 19C strings

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:08 pm

Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:47 pm
Hi Ken, Nice job! That was a tough one for me to play without hitting wrong notes. You nailed it for sure, and by the way, that's a great a sounding guitar. :bravo:
Thank you, Tom. It is still tough one to get rid of horrible squeak from 4th string instead of 3rd, which I used to shift LH fast. Your Pavane was butter smooth with precise shifting without squeak. :merci: :bye:
Ken

Mike Cook

Post by Mike Cook » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:12 pm

Thanks Ken. I didn’t realize I had options for mikes for iPhone. That’s good information. And practicing is not a problem for me, there’s never a day I don’t want to play. I should spend more time on scales and that’s sort of thing though, instead of just playing music because I like to playing. ☺️
[/quote]

The Shure MV88 is an excellent stereo mic specifically for the iPhone.It does a good job recording guitar. I started with this mic on my iPhone, but switched to a Rode Video mic when I bought a digital camera.

Mike
2019 Elias Bonet Monne Traditional Cedar/Green Ebony
2017 Cordoba 20th Anniversary Guitar
1993 Jose Ramirez R2
2008 Fender Strat, Eric Johnson Signature Model
1966 Gibson Melodymaker
2013 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe EC Studio

Mike Cook

Post by Mike Cook » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:15 pm

Recorded Sauteuse last night. I had to do several takes. Don't know why, but its harder for me when a camera is pointed at you!

Sauteuse

Mike
1993 Jose Ramirez R2
1966 Gibson Melodymaker

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:37 pm

Mike Cook wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:15 pm
Recorded Sauteuse last night. I had to do several takes. Don't know why, but its harder for me when a camera is pointed at you!
Sauteuse
Mike
Beautifully done, Mike. Anxiety, lol. It is stuck with us.
I don't have much to say since you played well with your interpretation.
Keep it in mind that you need to be able to play in-tempo first before interpretation added. It would be much beneficial to add better interpretation. Andantino didn't have the reference of speed, but Sauteuse has Quarter note=116, which is quite fast. :bravo:
Ken

Mike Cook

Post by Mike Cook » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:17 am

[/quote]
Beautifully done, Mike. Anxiety, lol. It is stuck with us.
I don't have much to say since you played well with your interpretation.
Keep it in mind that you need to be able to play in-tempo first before interpretation added. It would be much beneficial to add better interpretation. Andantino didn't have the reference of speed, but Sauteuse has Quarter note=116, which is quite fast. :bravo:
[/quote]

Thanks Ken. I know some of these are intended to be played at a faster tempo, but I’m struggling to just keep up with the lessons. I would love to stay home and play all day.

I’ll start using the metronome!
1993 Jose Ramirez R2
1966 Gibson Melodymaker

Linda Kimbrel

Post by Linda Kimbrel » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:36 pm

Robert Goodwin wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:33 pm
Nevertheless, I would like to share what little insights I have gained if they might be useful or encouraging for those in earlier classes.

Best regards all,
Bob G.
Bob, our little class would welcome any insights you can offer. I personally am not confident enough with my own grasp of fundamentals to be much help to the others. I feel like I don’t know enough to know if my observations and suggestions are helpful or relevant or even correct. Stop by anytime, keep us out of mischief.

Linda

Mike Cook

Post by Mike Cook » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:10 am

Slurs on the R2!
1993 Jose Ramirez R2
1966 Gibson Melodymaker

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:05 pm

Mike Cook wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:10 am
Slurs on the R2!
How sweet Ramirez you have! :okok:
Congratulations to get it back. :D :bye:
Ken

Linda Kimbrel

Post by Linda Kimbrel » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:19 pm

Mike Cook wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:12 pm
Thanks Ken. I didn’t realize I had options for mikes for iPhone. That’s good information. And practicing is not a problem for me, there’s never a day I don’t want to play. I should spend more time on scales and that’s sort of thing though, instead of just playing music because I like to playing. ☺️
The Shure MV88 is an excellent stereo mic specifically for the iPhone.It does a good job recording guitar. I started with this mic on my iPhone, but switched to a Rode Video mic when I bought a digital camera.

Mike
[/quote]
Mike, I am snatching myself bald headed on this issue. The problem I’m facing is that my iPhone XS doesn’t have a headphone jack for the mike to plug in to. I thought a jack-to-Lightning converter cable would solve this, but it doesn’t. Phone doesn’t recognize there’s a mic attached. Online forums say now that I need a trs-to-doomerflatchy and then a TRS-to-TTRS converter and THEN the jack-to-Lightning cable. I see a couple of pricey mikes that do have a lightning connector by design now, but I’ve got sunk costs in this Comica I’m going to try to make work. By the time I buy 3 or 4 more adapters, the direct-to-Lightning mike is going to look cheap by comparison. :roll:
Linda

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”