D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
James A. Showalter
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by James A. Showalter » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:01 am

I want to express to this group how important learning to follow a metronome has been for me. I resisted throughout my studies in D01 because it just felt un-natural and there were mixed messages about its use. Several people expressly recommended it for me but I could not make it fit. That I could not make it work was in itself a statement for why I should. Some people have natural rhythm and they likely don't need the crutch. But there is so much to integrate in this early phase of guitar what with note progressions, damping, apoyando, tirando, etc. that rhythm and cadence are easily left at the wayside. That's a detriment and I believe following a standard is a good approach for a beginner. Especially for the likes of me who can appreciate rhythm but finds it a distant but natural force in nature.
1972 Morris No. 12
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka, No. 20
1979 Yamaha C300
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Martin Guitars (MC28, D12-28, J40)
National Resonator Guitar
Les Paul 1960 reissue

Stephanie Burnham

Post by Stephanie Burnham » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:20 am

Hello James.

I hope to be able to submit something as good as what you've done here, James. Good job! I do have a question about your right wrist. It looks flat compared to what I've noticed for Jean-Francois. From my understanding, there should be a slight bend or hook in your wrist, right? Each of your finger joints should be relaxed and slightly bent. Your thumb should be pointing in toward the guitar strings at about a 45-degree.

Stephanie

Paul Cezanne

Post by Paul Cezanne » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:26 am

James A. Showalter wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:37 pm
That's very good Grayson.

I think your technique is solid and it is obvious you have worked on it over this past year. My only constructive comment would be that like me you could gain a more steady cadence.

Keep up the good work.
James
Very nice Grayson!

I agree with James on the cadence. Try playing your Old Macdonald video while counting 1-2-3-4 out loud, next, play last year's Old Macdonald, also counting out loud. Even though it is slower, your cadence was better then. Now that you are capable of playing faster, you're losing the beat. No worries, it will come.
--
Repeat student D01, Student D02

I play vertically because of back and joint pain, plus my goal is to someday play a Brahms guitar like Paul Galbraith.

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:28 pm

Stephanie,
Good observation on my wrist positioning. I've lived a fulfilling life and of course that means there were good times and some not so much. I'm proud in that I wear the scars of aging well and do not allow anything to deter me from most pursuits. When I was young I broke my wrist and it was misdiagnosed. I played a lot of tennis, fished, worked and lived hard with the broken wrist for 26 years before it totally failed me. The only recourse was a full fusion of the right wrist which resulted in zero articulation of the joint. So my playing is a forced modification of that perfect standard which you describe. But I play on and one day hope to carry a good tune. I still fish pretty well but hook 'em with my left hand and reel with my right.

Take care.
James
1972 Morris No. 12
1979 Yamaha C300
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul 1960 reissue

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:08 am

James A. Showalter wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:28 pm
Stephanie,
Good observation on my wrist positioning. I've lived a fulfilling life and of course that means there were good times and some not so much. I'm proud in that I wear the scars of aging well and do not allow anything to deter me from most pursuits. When I was young I broke my wrist and it was misdiagnosed. I played a lot of tennis, fished, worked and lived hard with the broken wrist for 26 years before it totally failed me. The only recourse was a full fusion of the right wrist which resulted in zero articulation of the joint. So my playing is a forced modification of that perfect standard which you describe. But I play on and one day hope to carry a good tune. I still fish pretty well but hook 'em with my left hand and reel with my right.

Take care.
James
I have to say that having gone through D01 last year with James, that he was inspirational and a wonderful example of what desire and perseverance can produce.

Additionally, I have heard that he is quite the fisherman. Just don't ask him to sing. :wink:

Bill
1969 Sakazo Nakade No 1000 G
1971 Mitsuru Tamura No 600
1973 Rokutaro Nakade A50
1977 Kazuo Yairi YC90

Alan Burns

Post by Alan Burns » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:23 pm

Hello,

I'm a repeat student of D01. I started in December last year and ran into various work and family commitments that prevented me from catching up with the rest of the group. I figured that there was no reason rushing ahead. I plan to take my time with each lesson and practice at a minimum the recommended time. I will be using the metronome religiously.

Regards,

Alan
1981 Kazuo Yairi CY116
SoloEtte #220

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:21 pm

I have heard that he is quite the fisherman. Just don't ask him to sing.
I am a fish whisperer.
James
1972 Morris No. 12
1979 Yamaha C300
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul 1960 reissue

John Hilde

Post by John Hilde » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:13 am

Hi Grayson, good job, I noticed your guitar had changed in the videos but didn't realize why until I read your post.
Nice classical guitar.
Hope to post mine soon.
All the best,
John

Walid Boutros

Post by Walid Boutros » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:50 am

Hi there, congrats to all classmates for your first submissions. :bravo:
I started a little bit late and I'm still practicing the pieces to post. Hopefully I'll be able to post these by the coming weekend. Wish me luck ☺. By the way is there a deadline to post the pieces of a particular lesson?

Thanks for sharing these useful remarks about the use of the metronome and right hand position.

:merci:

Stephanie Burnham

Post by Stephanie Burnham » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:09 am

Good submissions, Paul Cezanne. Maybe I should play vertically too since I have back pain and neck pain. Paul, do you use the metronome ever when you practice? If not, does it get the way. I find that it does because I'm counting in my head and sometimes the metronome clicking interferes. Maybe I should set mine on a slower speed. Not sure.

Grayson Bray Morris

Post by Grayson Bray Morris » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:53 am

John Hilde wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:13 am
Hi Grayson, good job, I noticed your guitar had changed in the videos but didn't realize why until I read your post.
Nice classical guitar.
Hope to post mine soon.
All the best,
John
Thanks, John! I look forward to your videos.
Much madness is divinest sense, to a discerning eye; much sense, the starkest madness. --Emily Dickinson

Paul Cezanne

Post by Paul Cezanne » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:30 am

Stephanie Burnham wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:09 am
Good submissions, Paul Cezanne. Maybe I should play vertically too since I have back pain and neck pain. Paul, do you use the metronome ever when you practice? If not, does it get the way. I find that it does because I'm counting in my head and sometimes the metronome clicking interferes. Maybe I should set mine on a slower speed. Not sure.
Vertically isn't all that easy and sometimes I wish I could play "normal." Right now I get small pains in my back after 15 minutes, but it is less than the wrist pain I get playing normally. I'm trying to watch my posture and see how that affects things. One challenge for me is how the right hand floats. That gives all sorts of freedoms of movement which is great for a great player and really frustrating for a beginner!

No, I never user a metronome while playing but that's not because I don't think they are needed, I just have significant previous musical experience so I guess that part is "easy" for me, as easy as 10+ years of anything I guess. (I've played oboe, cello and I sing bass in the choir when I go to Meetinghouse.) After awhile the cadence becomes second nature.

And thanks!
--

I play vertically because of back and joint pain, plus my goal is to someday play a Brahms guitar like Paul Galbraith.

Paul Cezanne

Post by Paul Cezanne » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:33 am

Stephanie, are you using a footstool? In last years videos you are, I can tell in tis years videos. If you are and you have body pains, just stop now. Really, just stop. See viewtopic.php?f=71&t=126893 or any of the articles in viewforum.php?f=71

Just get some other form of support. I'm currently using a Ergoplay on the back of the guitar. I have a Murata that I used on the bottom but that didn't anchor the guitar enough, I'll probably sell that.
--

Jaygutknecht

Post by Jaygutknecht » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:16 pm

My submissions a little late getting started so here goes.

Cordis A Vide

Old Mac Donald

Au Clair DE Lalune

Jaygutknecht

Post by Jaygutknecht » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:24 pm

Utkudimir Nice 1st submission can't add to what's been said but you will get it all I'm sure welcome to the class.

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”