D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
andrethompson
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by andrethompson » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:09 am

Stefan Prechtl wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:07 pm
Here is my first take on exercise no.2 from p.6

http://www.vimeo.com/242452383
http://www.vimeo.com/242475947

For me, alternating fingers and thumb makes this one the most difficult of the beginners' lesson. I guess I will have to study it another week to get the damping right.

It took me some time, but homework is done now and here are the results:

http://www.vimeo.com/243510655

http://www.vimeo.com/244440498

http://www.vimeo.com/244441143

I'm looking forwared to your opinions and helpful advises.

Thanks in advance!
Stefan
Nicely done. Love to hear the steel strings.

Juan M Silva

Post by Juan M Silva » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:01 am

Craig McCallum wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:39 pm
Hi Juan,

They're sounding good :)

To even up the timing a little, can I ask if you've ever practised with a metronome? I'd highly recommend getting a little cheap one, or downloading a metronome app for your phone.

How I generally use it (as recommended a long time back) is to play each phrase very, very slowly to begin with - as slowly as you need to play it to get both the notes & the timing 100% correct, and can do it 3 times in a row. Only once you've done that do you move onto the next phrase... if you are still making mistakes, or can't get the timing, slow the metronome down by 5 or 6 beats per minute and try it again.

Once you can get each phrase correct 3 times in a row at that speed, speed the metronome up a bit - not too much, maybe as little as 5 or 6 bpm at a time. Again, you're aiming for 100% accuracy 3 or 4 times in a row. If find you can't get it, bring the speed back down again.

The idea is that, rather than the more commonly use 'practice makes perfect', or more correct to say 'practice makes permanent' - if we play the piece too quickly and make the same mistake each time, all we're doing is training our fingers to keep making that mistake... so better to play slowly and accurately, and only build up the speed once our fingers are doing the right thing.

Doing this, you can gradually build up towards the speeds on the sheet music. I started at about 70bpm for Old Macdonald, and am getting up towards the 150bpm by following this method (we'll see if I've actually got there by the time I record videos next week...)
Craig,
I feel so negligent for not responding to you sooner. My sincere apologies. Once the new lessons were out, I went there without looking back much. I am now just seeing this VERY insightful comment. I am not using a metronome, but I will start. You are dead on about training with an aim to play with precision.
Thanks and Regards,
Juan
1976 Yamaha G-55-1

roga22

Post by roga22 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:17 am

i'm the beginner and i read the tips word by word,i understand that i should do practice everyday,don't hurry up,be patient ,thank you!

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:29 am

First of all, a huge :merci: for all those who give of their time and energy to make this site and these lessons available.
I am self-taught using Volume 1 of Shearer's Classic Guitar Technique, but even though I have made it through the book (in theory) I cannot actually play anything, at least not well enough to perform it for anyone except maybe my wife. I therefore look forward to starting at the beginning here and unlearning the mistakes I have trained myself into repeating. It was humbling when the first exercises in lesson 1 were difficult to somewhat master...Shearer's book didn't teach stopping a string from vibrating and only treated rest stroke with the thumb almost in passing so these became an unexpected challenge.
I think part of my problem is that I cannot wait to get to the "real music" and thus I gloss over and quickly tire of the "boring" exercises. This became a familiar feeling when I encountered the petit minuit and at first I couldn't wait to get to whatever came next, but I checked myself and looked instead for the musicality in it. Somewhat to my surprise I eventually found it, or at least a shadow of it. I decided however that it ended too abruptly and decided to add a bit at the end. I trust that was OK. If any of my fellow students attempt to try the same ending be advised that I tuned my 6th string to D (as opposed to the standard E) :D

"We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve." — Bill Gates
"The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement." — unknown

Grayson Bray Morris

Post by Grayson Bray Morris » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:55 am

Welcome to the class, Jules! Your videos are lovely, especially the last one. You have an obvious feel for music.

I notice that your right-hand thumb is quite high on the back of the neck, more like the recommended rock-n-roller "fret the low E string using your thumb" advice. From these videos that seems to be working just fine for you, but I thought I'd mention it; possibly it might become a hindrance as you progress to more difficult material? I can't say for sure, since I'm completely new to this myself. Maybe more experienced classmates can chime in on that front.
Much madness is divinest sense, to a discerning eye; much sense, the starkest madness. --Emily Dickinson

roga22

Post by roga22 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:47 pm

can I ask a question? what's the meaning of "damp the preceding note"? :?

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:12 am

"I notice that your right-hand thumb is quite high on the back of the neck"...Excellent observation Grayson. This was the first time I had recorded myself and it came as quite a surprise to notice this myself. My strongest suspicion is that I need to get it back where it belongs so that my fingers can better act as vertical pistons, so I have started to work on it. Now that I am aware of it I can hopefully correct it.

thanks for the welcome and the observation.
"We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve." — Bill Gates

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:16 am

Roga 22...to "damp the preceding note" simply means to stop the applicable string from vibrating and thus continuing to sound. It is accomplished by lightly touching the string, sometimes with a right hand finger, other times with a left. It is of course covered in these lessons, and while I am only on the second lesson and eager to catch up they are highly recommended.

Jeffrey Wijnans

Post by Jeffrey Wijnans » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:34 pm

Alright this felt a little awkward watching the vids back but hey were all here to learn. Hopefully you guys dont mind the open mouth since ive been having a really bad cold these last few days. Have been playing guitar in the past but really had to re-learn the string spacing since the classical guitar has a bigger space between strings, that along with the right hand finger technique was the hardest part so far especially when the rhythm is faster.

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:14 am

:bravo: Hello Jeffrey
Well, watching your videos it is obvious that you are not new to the instrument. This is most evident in your steady right hand, relaxed finger tips, and well executed strokes. I don't want to comment on your posture for a couple of reasons. First off you seem to have the right idea and secondly the camera angle makes it difficult to really figure out how exactly you are holding your instrument, but I will say that finding the right posture is the most important thing as an ideal hand position is impossible without it. I suggest you audit yourself after watching the posture and hand position videos on https://www.thisisclassicalguitar.com/lessons/. There is one area you should work on that I did notice. You are pressing the strings a bit too far back and you are using the pads of your fingers. You should be aiming to press only with the finger tips with that first segment more or less perpendicular to the fret board and positioned snug against the frets using just enough pressure to sound the notes clearly. Easier said than done, but something to strive towards.
I am expecting good things from you as you catch up as you are clearly on the right track.

Jeffrey Wijnans

Post by Jeffrey Wijnans » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:54 am

Jules Wilkins wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:14 am
:bravo: Hello Jeffrey
Well, watching your videos it is obvious that you are not new to the instrument. This is most evident in your steady right hand, relaxed finger tips, and well executed strokes. I don't want to comment on your posture for a couple of reasons. First off you seem to have the right idea and secondly the camera angle makes it difficult to really figure out how exactly you are holding your instrument, but I will say that finding the right posture is the most important thing as an ideal hand position is impossible without it. I suggest you audit yourself after watching the posture and hand position videos on https://www.thisisclassicalguitar.com/lessons/. There is one area you should work on that I did notice. You are pressing the strings a bit too far back and you are using the pads of your fingers. You should be aiming to press only with the finger tips with that first segment more or less perpendicular to the fret board and positioned snug against the frets using just enough pressure to sound the notes clearly. Easier said than done, but something to strive towards.
I am expecting good things from you as you catch up as you are clearly on the right track.
Thanks for the advise. Haven't really figured out the right posture. Been adjusting the footstool quite a bit to find my "sweet spot" but so far they all feel a bit awkward, but maybe thats something that will grow with hours and hours of practice.

rburns

Is it too late to begin with entering a level D01 class?

Post by rburns » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:49 pm

Hi,

Even though I have only recently re-activated my account, I amy hoping you will grant me permission to participate in the beginning level and take the first few lessons as I intend to meet the requirements that will eventually enable me to access more difficult pieces. I notice the lessons are in line with specific weeks, months, and years, so will you allow me to engage in coursework as I complete each level despite entering this beginning level January of year?

I look forward to your response, and I am currently working to make the site accessible to others via my webs-site as soon as I receive assistance and clearance from my university's Institutional technology experts.

Thanks,
Richard Burns

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:47 am

Hello Richard
I started late and was very impressed when a fellow student pointed out a major flaw in my left hand. I am merely a fellow student and have no say, but I see no harm. Even though I am not totally green I have found every lesson to present new challenges and as such am glad I started at the beginning. As you say you are re-activating your account I assume you are also not green and so may be able to catch up.

rburns

Post by rburns » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:00 pm

Thanks for your encouraging words. I look forward to what you and others have to say regarding the pieces I record and subsequently post those recordings on this site. I've never posted on YouTube, so this is all new, but the steps that appear in the "Students' Corner" seem straightforward, so I'll use my iPhone5 and do what I can as I play a few pieced, few of which I learned for the Shearer volume you mentioned in an earlier post. I'm impressed you completed the entire volume before furthering your guitar studies!

Thanks again for your kind words of encouragement as my old hands attempt to break old habits and nurture new ones.

Warm regards,
Richard Burns

Jeron James

Post by Jeron James » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:58 pm

I practiced more trying to record it than actually practicing.
CORDES A VIDE - OPEN STRINGS

Did it twice because I think I missed a symbol.
OLD MAC DONALD

IL EST MINUIT

The roosters were not intentional.
Last edited by Jeron James on Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”