D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Christopher Langley » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:30 am

Here are my final submissions for Lesson 01! Looking forward to seeing everyone at Lesson 02.

Marlene Finch

Post by Marlene Finch » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:59 am

Greetings All,
I'm having some difficulty with the youtube videos. They keep stopping within seconds of beginning. Everyone looks so relaxed and comfortable. Thank you for posting.
Also, I noticed that several people played different songs. Do we chose the which page to post?

Thanks Much!
Cheers!
Marlene

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:05 am

Hello Marlene
All assigned pieces should be diligently practiced, but only a select few need to be posted and that is stated at the start of each lesson. Some people post other pieces, normally because they are seeking feedback which is a primary strength of these lessons, but it is hardly required.
The issues you are having playing the youtube videos must be unique to you. A slow internet connection perhaps?
"We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve." — Bill Gates
"The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement." — unknown

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:43 am

Christopher Langley wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:00 pm
Regarding creeping/dangling thumb:
Generally speaking, maybe ~> 90% of the time one could be playing passages or phrases whereby the fretting fingers are curled, the thumb is near the middle of the guitar neck on the back-side, and the thumb and middle finger form a C-shape sandwich with the guitar fretboard and neck in-between.

The fretting wrist and forearm form a straight line for maximum comfort, the fretting wrist is not bent which can cause strain when its bent, you want to avoid that.

Now, try and fret a D major chord in first position and attempt to maintain all of the typical posture notes for the fretting hand while keeping the thumb in the middle of the neck.
My guess is that you will have to bend your wrist, feel discomfort, extra strain etc if you want to try and keep the thumb in the middle of the neck.

In order to fret the D major chord and keep the forearm and wrist straight for maximum comfort you will have to relax and allow the thumb to move away from the middle area of the neck and probably somewhere between middle of the neck and the edge.

When the thumb is in this location, sometimes at an angle the upper edge of the thumb may be seen by an observer from some angles, but the entire first joint of the thumb is not coming over the edge poking out like a finger puppet :-)
In this kind of scenario, there's nothing to worry about, its a natural adjustment.

However, if the thumb is not anchored somewhere on the back of the neck and is entirely exposed/free, it could be an indication that the rest of the hand is not positioned and holding the neck correctly, if one is trying to play a barre chord, there will likely be lots of buzz, incorrect application of pressure etc..

Because of the size and width of the classical guitar neck, its just not practical to use a technique that you find in blues, rock, or rag-time styles on smaller/thinner guitar necks where the thumb is extremely exposed and used as a fretting mechanism for bass-lines while the other fingers do other chord progressions.
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:26 pm

John Montes wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:43 am
Extremely informative! I am lucky my thumb moves so freely, it didn't come overnight.. My dad struggles with leaving his thumb up in the air, like you describe. It really limits his range of motion.

I learned to move my thumb around from lots of playing! (blues, mind you) Also I think I practiced scales pretty early on, I found those helpful in developing technique in both hands.. Probably true for all types of music.

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:26 pm

-edit- accidental double post :desole:

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”