D02 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Nelson Lee
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Nelson Lee » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:37 pm

Dear Ed, Jules, Tom, Thanks for the exceptional support and feedback/advice. I will take all your technical and musical observations into heart with my practice. This guitar thing humbles and energizes me, especially because I enjoy playing the guitar so much. I will try to incorporate all the suggestions! :) Much appreciation and let's move forward together! Nelson.

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:33 pm

Nelson Lee wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:26 am
Hi Everyone. The following videos are my D02-01 Lesson pieces with the following focus:
Hey Nelson, I watched all your assignments, everything looks good to me. I have 2 concerns though:
- I think you've got great right hand technique, but when you move the hand closer to the fingerboard I can clearly hear unwanted sounds like clicking. This is good that you can play in different positions, but probably you are shifting the RH way too much to the fingerboard :)
- Lo Nous Marchons: moving the hand (and entire arm) too much when doing thumb rest strokes. Only the thumb should move.
Cordoba C9

Nelson Lee

Post by Nelson Lee » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:15 am

Dear Andrei, Thanks for the keen observation and wonderful support. I will take your suggestions to improve my guitar skills. Much appreciation, Nelson.

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:13 am

Nelson Lee wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:26 am
Hi Everyone. The following videos are my D02-01 Lesson pieces with the following focus:

1. Start with slow tempo, tapping the beat, internalizing the beat. Increase tempo when rhythm and the beat are together.
2. Left hand lower knuckles inline and close to fingerboard. Thumb in vertical position.
3. Right hand fingers puck at 45 degrees to guitar strings.
4. Experiment with guitar posture. Left leg positioned to center. Guitar at 45 degree. Headset at eye level.
5. Shape piece by experimenting with dynamics and tone. Play soft/loud. RH position to bridge and fingerboard.
Excellent job! Nelson, your hard work and effort have paid off! I can see your tone is improving, relax right hand, better left pinky :bravo: . Your sitting posture is relax and especially you enjoy the music. It's like a you work hard enough in the field and now it's the time to enjoy an abundant harvest :casque:

One thing you need to improve: the bass strings. One difference between classical guitar and electric guitar is: in classical guitar, you can play a bass note at the same time with the melody note, and the bass line alone creates their own melody. So play bass strings louder. Don't ignore them.

For example: listen to this video first, focus on the bass line:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz9eAFpRklM

then compare to yours:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... 77Br6UegCI

You can see, because of the louder bass notes, his music sounds better.

Why do you play softer bass?
Because your right thumb is weak. Its muscle is underdeveloped. Let's pump it up. I had this problem too, and one of my friend commented on my playing.
I thought about it and used brute force technique: I used an acoustic steel strings guitar, because its strings, especially bass strings, are harder to play finger-style. I added 3 minutes of training right thumb strength on my training section. And play only bass strings: E,A,D as hard as possible. Don't rest your right fingers: i, m, a on the strings, use only right thumb attack, free stroke. The hard part is keep the whole right hand stable while play your right thumb as hard as you can. It's hard at first but achievable.

Here is a song in which the right thumb played melody notes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmYGLQa0TD4
So right thumb is quite important!

Nelson Lee

Post by Nelson Lee » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:33 am

Dear Binh, thanks for your advice on my bass notes and for the wonderful support. I will incorporate your bass note exercise into my practice. Regards, Nelson.

Rajesh Dhungel

Post by Rajesh Dhungel » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:34 am

Hi this is my last submission video!

D02 01 QUE NE SUIS-JE LA FOUGERE

Hope you will like it :casque: :merci: :bye:

Rajesh Dhungel

Post by Rajesh Dhungel » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:36 am

Rajesh Dhungel wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:34 am
Hi this is my last submission video!

D02 01 QUE NE SUIS-JE LA FOUGERE

Hope you will like it :casque: :merci: :bye:
Sorry for the background noise. It is due to my recording instrument. I am actually using my webcam for recording. Please suggest some free recording software or instruments i appreciate it. :merci: :bye:

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”