D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
andrethompson
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by andrethompson » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:13 pm

Angela Carter wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:29 am
Thank you John.

Great work Andre. Your tempo is good aside from a few tricky spots. Your muting on exercise 20 seems perfect.
Thank you.
Hard work does pay off :-)

Tales Lucin

Post by Tales Lucin » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:43 am

The two submission that were missing:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grayson Bray Morris

Post by Grayson Bray Morris » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:59 am

Hi Tales — just to let you know, I can't play your files without installing a WMV player on my Mac, which I'm not very interested in doing. Is there a chance you could upload your videos to YouTube as the rest of us are doing? (If privacy is your concern, you can set the videos to "unlisted" — that's what I do.)
Much madness is divinest sense, to a discerning eye; much sense, the starkest madness. --Emily Dickinson

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:20 am

Slowly catching up here. For some reason I initially screwed up on what was assigned so I ended up recording more than required. Oops.

"We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve." — Bill Gates
"The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement." — unknown

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:22 am

Opps, I thought i had included this one. Sigh.
"We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve." — Bill Gates

Jeffrey Wijnans

Post by Jeffrey Wijnans » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:20 pm

Got a looooooooooooooooooong way to go but at least im trying :kap:

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:54 pm

Nice work Jules and Jeffrey.

Jeffrey - the B string sounded a bit sharp in pitch compared to the other strings in the C Major scale exercise and in some of the other submissions. A quick tune-up check before practice and periodically during sessions will fix that :)
2018 Salvador Castillo Concert Classical
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:45 am

Hello again Jeffery: I too noticed right away that your guitar is out of tune, but of greater concern IMHO is that buzzing open string which has to be an annoyance to you. How can you possibly play cleanly when a string you aren't even touching buzzes? Without seeing your instrument up close I cannot offer any definitive answers, and a very brief google search had the first link telling us to adjust the truss rod. You will go crazy looking for a truss rod as your guitar almost certainly doesn't have one. If your neck is warped, while in theory it can be fixed in practice you may want to start saving up for a new instrument, but it could be as simple a case as the nut being filed too deeply on that string. My first guitar had that issue and if memory serves I just wedged a bit of paper into the groove which raised the string and voila, no more buzzing. You should probably do a proper internet search to first of all help you identify the cause and secondly to give better direction as to how to remedy the situation. You can only ever be as good as your instrument so you will want to do what you can with what you have. As an aside, my first guitar really held my progress back. I hope your fixes are easy ones, but as you progress you should stop by the occasional guitar shop and take a gander at a variety of instruments (but only after educating yourself as to what to look for). It doesn't hurt to know what your options are or how to evaluate a potential future purchase just in case you are dealing with something serious such as a warped neck. It also sounds like some of your strings might be quite old, though that could just be my imagination.
As for your playing, you are doing great. Keep up the good work.

Jeffrey Wijnans

Post by Jeffrey Wijnans » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:31 pm

Shame on me for the tuning part! Thanks for the reminder.

As far as the buzzing goes I think its the recording is guilty of this one. When the volume hit some kind of threshold they start buzzing in the video but not in real life. When I start editting the video the buzzing starts. I can add a separate audio file which is of a better quality since that picks up my mic while the recording program I use, uses the mic build in in my laptop. Long story short I need to figure out how to swap the audio files so I get the best quality without the buzzing but I just like playing the guitar more than sitting on my laptop figuring out how that works hahaha.

Thanks for comments guys really like the feedback!

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:12 pm

Jeffrey Wijnans wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:31 pm
As far as the buzzing goes I think its the recording is guilty of this one.
On my first attempts the buzzing was horrid, much worse than yours. I then noticed that "YouCam" (the software I use) was using the internal microphone from my webcam. I changed it to pick up the sound from my "Blue" microphone and it solved the problem instantly. I don't think the Blue is the ideal mic for recording classical guitar music, but it seems to do a decent enough job. The equipment and software you use definitely makes a difference. What I like about my current setup is that I can simply press the record button and not think about it, concentrating instead on trying to play the piece well.

Stefan Prechtl

Post by Stefan Prechtl » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:47 pm

Hello my fellow students,
I did lession 1 last year and have been kept from practising since then. Now I'm trying to get on the train again, letting you have my take on La tete bizarde, which is still from last years efforts.

http://www.vimeo.com/245611468

Looking forward to your comments and advises, while I get on with the rest of my homework.

All the best to you!
Stefan

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:02 am

Hello Stefan.
Welcome back and I hope you can find the time to persevere this year. It is heartening to have someone else join our little group.
Your rest stroke with the fingers is strong. This is very good, but when you play a note with your thumb we are hearing a much weaker free stroke.
Obviously the simple solution is to play the entire piece with your fingers, but I believe the point of many of these first lessons is to train our thumbs. As we progress not only are we expected to execute the far more difficult rest stroke with the thumb, but we have to perfectly synchronize it with notes played with our fingers, have it bounce off the string it "rests" on (so really more of a bounce stroke) in order to mute a lower string. This is all very challenging, but it does come with practice. Because in this piece the notes played with the thumb are part of the melody we need them to sound with equal strength, volume, clarity, and timbre. That requires the rest stroke.

Stefan Prechtl

Post by Stefan Prechtl » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:22 pm

Hey Jules, thank you very much for your advise, I will practice another week and be more observant on my thumb.

Jeron James

Post by Jeron James » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:24 pm

I am currently not practicing classical guitar so i cant post videos. the reason is that i have time management issues.
It wont be right to say im not practicing at all. its just that what i am working on requires consecutive practice to see results but im not practicing regularly. i am working on accuracy and precision of right hand finger movements so i get 1 sound when i pluck the string instead of my finger hitting it then the note. so i am taking rests in between movements but executing them quickly and precisely.
The reason im doing this is because when i started doing advanced stuff on electric guitar it did not sound professional because of bad technique and had to correct it over a long period of time. I learned that slow and steady wins the race especially when it comes to foundation material.

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:45 pm

Definitely practice for precision and accuracy at a slower and comfortable tempo to gain confidence, muscle memory, and lay the foundation, then gradually increase tempo.

Spend larger amounts of time on the difficult and problem areas (~33%) and repeating individual phrases in the pieces (~50%) during practice sessions. The remaining practice time can be devoted to playing pieces in full (~17%).

The rough time percentages listed above are based on Maestro Delcamp's suggestions for D01 students.
2018 Salvador Castillo Concert Classical
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”