D02 Classical guitar lesson 05

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jules Wilkins
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 154
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:12 pm

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by Jules Wilkins » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:32 am

Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:20 pm
I hope I never forget/lose my guitar support or I'll be in the same boat!!
Can someone please pass me a life preserver. I got my Atlas support yesterday and have literally spent hours searching for a position that allows both hands to be in an acceptable position. If I find a spot where the left hand can adopt a parallel attack and still have a semblance of of relaxation my right hand has the wrist where the forearm close to the elbow should be. Maybe I should have gone for a Galbraith position as I think with my scoliosis that might have worked. Anyway, I think I may have found a position of compromises that I hope will serve me well enough. But of course both hands are totally lost. I think I might just go back to lesson 1 of D01 :titanic:
Great job btw Tom. If I wasn't so frustrated I would don those dancing shoes for sure.
"We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve." — Bill Gates
"The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement." — unknown

Lucian Bistreanu
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by Lucian Bistreanu » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:46 pm

Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:33 pm
Lucian Bistreanu wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:28 pm
Hello Jules,
Thank you for your suggestion. Actually I discovered that kind of exercise back when I started learning the guitar (about a year and a half) and I practiced it a little bit just until I forgot about it, as I forgot many others founded on the net.
But today, after reading your comment I did it again with much more positive results than back when I used it for the first time. Now, I guess it's time not to forget to practice it :)
Thank you again!

Lucian

update
I found the video I watched for the left hand
https://youtu.be/4Vps1q31mns
Lucian, I just now got around to checking that link. Great information. Thanks!!

Here's one I found helpful to me. It involves practicing difficult passages. I follow this procedure religiously, its a good systematic approach that hit home with me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkUSKU5OA2E
Tom, you are welcome!
Thank you for your link, that's great too!
By the way, well done on the latest videos.

Tom Wimsatt
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 258
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:51 pm
Location: Northern Alabama

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:34 pm

Lucian Bistreanu wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:46 pm
Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:33 pm
Lucian Bistreanu wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:28 pm
Hello Jules,
Thank you for your suggestion. Actually I discovered that kind of exercise back when I started learning the guitar (about a year and a half) and I practiced it a little bit just until I forgot about it, as I forgot many others founded on the net.
But today, after reading your comment I did it again with much more positive results than back when I used it for the first time. Now, I guess it's time not to forget to practice it :)
Thank you again!

Lucian

update
I found the video I watched for the left hand
https://youtu.be/4Vps1q31mns
Lucian, I just now got around to checking that link. Great information. Thanks!!

Here's one I found helpful to me. It involves practicing difficult passages. I follow this procedure religiously, its a good systematic approach that hit home with me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkUSKU5OA2E
Tom, you are welcome!
Thank you for your link, that's great too!
By the way, well done on the latest videos.
Thanks Lucian. Glad it helped.
1989 Takamine C132S
1979 Yamaha CG-100A

Controsol
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:49 am

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by Controsol » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:48 pm

Recommend for child mini scale sol to re in first position

Lucian Bistreanu
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by Lucian Bistreanu » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:59 pm

Here is another try on Allegretto
I tried not to watch my hands, impossible...maybe in a few years :)

Ed Butler
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 304
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:46 am
Location: Plymouth, MA, USA

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by Ed Butler » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:33 pm

Lucian - well done. I like the changes in tempo and loudness. You do spend a lot of time looking at your right hand/fingers and less on your left, which is surprising because I feel that the left has more work to do and a better chance on missing the correct fret/string, at least in my view. One thing that has help me with the right hand/fingers is doing some of Giuliani's arpeggios every day.

Ed

Lucian Bistreanu
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by Lucian Bistreanu » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:08 pm

Ed you are right, my right hand like to be watched :)
I guess my 'now and then' arpeggio's exercises need to change to 'every day'... I do sometimes but not regularly.
I downloaded Giuliani's and I'll try to practice daily.
As for the left hand, I guess, that the good advises received until now start to work. I'm back to Segovia's scales on my daily routine.
Thank you for watching and for your feedback. It helps a lot.
Lucian

Tom Wimsatt
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 258
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:51 pm
Location: Northern Alabama

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:26 pm

Hi Lucian, great improvement. Your much smoother and this may be due in part to you're not having to look back and forth from LH to RH while playing. Sounds to me like you've found LH and RH exercises that are helping you. That's great to hear.

I also have just started (a few nights ago to be exact) doing some Giuliani arpeggios and I totally agree with Ed regarding RH work. Plus I think they are very enjoyable to play.
1989 Takamine C132S
1979 Yamaha CG-100A

Nelson Lee
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:21 am
Location: Arcata, California USA

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by Nelson Lee » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:02 am

Lucian, Nice work! I have the same habit of looking at my LH. I'm trying to break this habit by practicing with my eyes closed after I become familiar with each phrase. You can give that a try..... regards, Nelson.

Lucian Bistreanu
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by Lucian Bistreanu » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:38 am

Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:26 pm
Hi Lucian, great improvement. Your much smoother and this may be due in part to you're not having to look back and forth from LH to RH while playing. Sounds to me like you've found LH and RH exercises that are helping you. That's great to hear.

I also have just started (a few nights ago to be exact) doing some Giuliani arpeggios and I totally agree with Ed regarding RH work. Plus I think they are very enjoyable to play.
Hi Tom, I agree, it helps not looking back and fort from one hand to the other while playing. And yes, seems that I found some exercises that works for me.
I'll start decipher Giuliano's arpeggios today (as I still need to write down the notes) and I'll begin practice those, too.
Thanks for your feedback.
Lucian

Lucian Bistreanu
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by Lucian Bistreanu » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:43 am

Nelson Lee wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:02 am
Lucian, Nice work! I have the same habit of looking at my LH. I'm trying to break this habit by practicing with my eyes closed after I become familiar with each phrase. You can give that a try..... regards, Nelson.
Hi Nelson!
That's an interesting advise, I will give it a try.
Thank you!
Lucian

Nelson Lee
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:21 am
Location: Arcata, California USA

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by Nelson Lee » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:18 pm

Lucian, Also, have you tried singing the piece as you play? First, sing out loud, then try just singing in your mind as you play. Playing with your eyes closed will force you not to look, but it will also allow to feel with your fingers and listen to yourself. Singing will help you move forward hopefully.

I try these things to try to be with the music.

Ed Butler
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 304
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:46 am
Location: Plymouth, MA, USA

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by Ed Butler » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:20 pm

Lucian - on the Giuliano arpeggios - for most of them they are the C then G7 chords played over and over again. Once comfortable with the chord change it is strictly a right hand exercise.

Ed

Lucian Bistreanu
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by Lucian Bistreanu » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:53 pm

Nelson Lee wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:18 pm
Lucian, Also, have you tried singing the piece as you play? First, sing out loud, then try just singing in your mind as you play. Playing with your eyes closed will force you not to look, but it will also allow to feel with your fingers and listen to yourself. Singing will help you move forward hopefully.

I try these things to try to be with the music.
No I didn't, the only thing I do sometimes is to count when playing. The reason I don't sing is that I'm not only tone deaf but I have no voice either. I can try though, to see if that works. Thanks again Nelson!

Lucian Bistreanu
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by Lucian Bistreanu » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:01 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:20 pm
Lucian - on the Giuliano arpeggios - for most of them they are the C then G7 chords played over and over again. Once comfortable with the chord change it is strictly a right hand exercise.

Ed
I discovered that today Ed, and changing chords it's not an easy thing to do for me, but I guess that need to be practiced too.
Thank you!
Lucian

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”