Online lessons, proposed D08 student-led course

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Online lessons, proposed D08 student-led course

Post by GeoffB » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:49 am

Currently the Delcamp online guitar lessons go up to level D07, with levels D01 to D05 consisting of instructional text and video demonstrations and held on all four Delcamp forums, and levels D06 and D07 consisting of video demonstrations only and held on the Spanish forum only.

Students on the Spanish forum have suggested here creating a new D08 level, which would not have input from Mr. Delcamp, but where students would post their own recordings of a set piece and exchange feedback in the usual way. One or sometimes two months would be devoted to each piece. As with levels D06 and D07, discussion would be international, using online translation where necessary. The proposed set pieces for the ten months would be:

01 / Sylvius Léopold Weiss : Fantaisie (+ escalas + arpegios + ligados + cejilla + improvisación + estudios ...)

02 / Francisco Tárrega : Gran vals

03 / Matteo Carcassi : Etude opus 60 n°25

04/ Georg Friedrich Händel : Sarabande

05 / Manuel Maria Ponce : Scherzino Mexicano

06 + 07 / Francisco Tárrega : Capricho Árabe

08 + 09 / Isaac Albéniz : Asturias

10 + summer / Johann Sebastian Bach : Gavotte BWV 1006a + Francisco Tárrega : Recuerdos de la Alhambra

Mr. Delcamp has given his approval, but would like to hear any comments from you. Would you be interested? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Tom Wimsatt
Student of the online lessons

Re: Online lessons, proposed D08 student-led course

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:16 pm

I think this a great idea. I am curious how were those pieces selected? What is the learning objective for someone playing at that level (D07 is a prerequisite I assume)? I'm a long way from this lesson level but this looks like a good way to go.
1989 Takamine C132S
Yamaha CG-100A

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:36 pm

I can't answer on the learning objectives, but after some debate on the Spanish thread about possible choices, the pieces were suggested by Mr. Delcamp and have been welcomed so far. They have the advantage of being available here in the Delcamp scores, volume D08, which is based on the repertoire normally studied in the eighth year of music school.

As far as I'm aware, there are no formal prerequisites for participating in the new course, though obviously it would be an advantage to have completed the D07 course. One motivation for the original suggestion of this course was to provide an opportunity for previous students to continue studying together, rather than dispersing after completing level D07.
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:37 am

I think it’s a great idea Geoff, and I would participate if I can ever get through D07. That list looks challenging: more lifetime pursuits than 2 months effort. What are the thoughts about recognition for completing this level? Would there be any test or diploma? I might recommend submittals of a short video program of works as a recital from D05 works and above with at least one from D08 rep? Or from a list approved by Prof Delcamp.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:32 am

As far as I'm aware, Rick, there won't be any test or diploma, since this is not an official course, but rather a group of students getting together to set themselves a new challenge with the continued benefit of mutual feedback and encouragement.
Classical Guitar Forum.

Satyajit Kadle

Post by Satyajit Kadle » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:51 am

What a wonderful idea. It will keep motivation levels high and those are popular pieces. I hope I get to D08 some day :) Inching my way up D06 this year hopefully.

teddyofarrell

Post by teddyofarrell » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:44 pm

This is a tremendous idea! And I like the list that is presented! A great way to learn good music!
2016 Cordoba Lmtd SP12 Spruce
2001 Hector Marrero, Cedar
"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart." Andres Segovia

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:30 pm

GeoffB wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:32 am
As far as I'm aware, Rick, there won't be any test or diploma, since this is not an official course, but rather a group of students getting together to set themselves a new challenge with the continued benefit of mutual feedback and encouragement.
So I’d call if more of a seminar rather than a course, and still a great idea.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Robert Goodwin
Student of the online lessons

Post by Robert Goodwin » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:09 pm

Just a though concerning the 'goal'. The pieces selected would give any classical guitarist a first class repertoire. In my opinion, whether you play for an audience, friends, or just for yourself, such a syllabus would be well worth the time invested. I too am hopeful that some day I will play at that level. Perhaps it encourages those who need a goal to strive toward.

Best regards,
Bob G.

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”