D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:20 pm

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D01.

I'm going to talk to you about the minimum time you need to devote to the study of the guitar, and about the classical position for holding the guitar.

Timetable for the beginner:
In order to progress, you need a little time each day for 6 days of the week. Here is the minimum necessary when you are a beginner:
3 days when you can devote 10 minutes to repeating each difficult passage from 6 to 12 times. I'll indicate these difficult passages to you by putting a box (a rectangular border) around them.
and
3 days when you can devote 30 minutes to studying the guitar, made up of
- 10 minutes practising the difficult (boxed) passages,
- 15 minutes repeating the individual phrases (indicated by phrase marks) several times in succession (3 to 6 times)
- and finally 5 minutes playing the piece or pieces in full.

Note that you must play for 6 days of the week. If you combine all this time into one day, that is to say, 2 hours in a single day, you will not make progress and furthermore you will risk injuring yourself by making demands on certain muscles for too long. Divide up your practice and play a little each day.

Spend most of your practice time on the parts you have trouble playing: difficult passages, difficult phrases. Only play pieces the whole way through once or twice a week.
So we understand one another properly, here is an example of a timetable where sessions alternate between 10 and 30 minutes:
Monday 30 minutes
Tuesday 10 minutes
Wednesday 30 minutes
Thursday 10 minutes
Friday 30 minutes
Saturday 10 minutes

The position for the classical guitar is the product of past experience. The classical position enables us to reduce effort to a minimum, and has arisen from a compromise between the needs for stability, comfort and the efficient use of both hands.

The principles of this position are:
sitting position, back straight, shoulders level,
the guitar rests on whichever thigh is on the neck side.
We raise the head of the guitar level with our head, with the aid of a footstool or of a support placed on the thigh.
The hand which plays the strings is placed over the sound hole, the elbow rests on the edge of the body of the guitar, level with the bridge.
The arm on the neck side is bent to bring the hand up to the height of the shoulder, the thumb is placed behind the neck, beneath the second fret and behind the third string, the fingers are over the strings.
Try to achieve relaxation, from the shoulders right down to the hands.

Some classical guitarists adopt a position similar to that used by cellists. I am not competent to teach you that position, but it is worth being aware of.

We will study some techniques and some exercises.
D01, page 6 and page 7:
- The rest stoke technique (apoyando). Apoyando is a way to vibrate the string by a finger movement which plucks the string and then continues to come to rest on the adjacent string.
- The technique of alternating the index and middle fingers of the hand that makes the strings vibrate. To stabilize the hand and fully benefit from this exercise, it is necessary to place the tip of the thumb on the fifth string (A string).
- The tempo. To measure yourself the time, you count the time aloud, as indicated in the score.

The rest stoke technique (apoyando)

Tirando

MI SI SOL RE

Page 6 number 1

Page 6 number 2

Page 7 SOL LA SI DO

Page 7 number 1

Page 7 number 2

Page 7 number 3

To complete this lesson we will try four simple studies, D01, page 8 to page 10,
A la claire fontaine
Old Mac Donald
Au clair de la lune
Il est minuit
SOL LA SI RE

A la claire fontaine

RE MI SOL LA SI

Old Mac Donald

RE MI FA# SOL LA SI SI

Au clair de la lune

Il est minuit

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and pieces for one week and then to post your recordings on the forum for:
Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) : CORDES A VIDE - OPEN STRING (page 6)
Anonyme : Old Mac Donald
Anonyme : Au clair de la lune

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

CORDES A VIDE - OPEN STRING (page 6)
Old Mac Donald
Au clair de la lune

Judy Verbeeten
Old Mac Donald
Au clair de la lune

Ian Howe
Old Mac Donald
Au clair de la lune

Robert Drechsler
Old Mac Donald
Au clair de la lune

Jeffrey Wijnans
Old Mac Donald
Au clair de la lune

William Byrd
Old Mac Donald
Au clair de la lune

James A. Showalter
Old Mac Donald
Au clair de la lune

Charles Cook
Old Mac Donald
Au clair de la lune

Michael McGarty
Old Mac Donald
Au clair de la lune

Staffan Strömberg
Old Mac Donald
Au clair de la lune
:( + ♫ = :)

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Christopher Langley » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:17 pm

Hello fellow d01 Delcampers,

I joined late last year/studied ahead this year depending on your perspective ;-)

After trailing behind last year, I am more than thrilled to be able to make some early submissions for lesson 1.

Looking forward to meeting everyone and any possible feedback.

Thanks,

Chris

Team Flesh

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:40 am

Christopher Langley wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:17 pm

Thanks,

Chris
Hello Chris,

Congrats on being the first one to post! I hope to have something this weekend. I’m new at this so I can’t really offer any constructive feedback other than good first effort. You’ve set the bar for the rest of us.

Bill
1959 Sakazo Nakade
1962 Mitsuru Tamura
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka No 40
1978 Masaru Matano
2010 Hiroshi Komori No 35

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:18 pm

William Byrd wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:40 am
Thanks Bill and welcome to the lessons!

I look forward to your videos.

I hope you and everyone else do not feel rushed by my early submissions. I advise everyone to really try to take your time and absorb the materials. That is the hardest part of the first 4 or so lessons.. It's difficult, but important to resist the urge to rush ahead.

I can only submit recordings so early because I have been playing these pieces for months.

As a self-proclaimed procrastinator, I couldn't resist the opportunity to show off the fact that I'm actually ahead of schedule for once.

Good luck to everyone this year. You guys won't need it.

Happy practicing y'all. Looking forward to all upcoming submissions and posts!
Team Flesh

Jeffrey Wijnans

Post by Jeffrey Wijnans » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:11 pm

I joined late last year/studied ahead this year depending on your perspective ;-)

After trailing behind last year, I am more than thrilled to be able to make some early submissions for lesson 1.

Very well done Christopher! The only feedback I can give in on CORDES A VIDE - OPEN STRING the second part you used different fingering than I guess is suggested. There are a few parts played with the thumb (P = thumb) which you play with your index and middle finger (I and M). Other than that :bravo:

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:32 pm

Thanks,

Chris

Chris, thanks for getting the show on the road. As Jeff noted, the expectation, I presume is to follow the fingering suggested/notated. However, you are most certainly setting a high bar for the start of D01 - solid tempo and tone, and note accuracy and clarity.

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:44 pm

Thanks for the feedback Jeffrey and Judy.

I have decided that for me personally fingering (left or right hand) is something I do not wish to focus on too much at this point. Same with sight-reading (I play from memory always).

I might come to regret these choices later on, it has been heavy on my mind.. I would love for one of the more advanced players to chime in before I become a bad influence to others.

All I can say is so far I have not encountered any problems with left or right hand, despite ignoring fingerings entirely anymore. In fact, I have found that if I don't think my fingers they find their own way to play that often seems faster, more natural and more ergonomic.

I was worried my fingers would do nonsensical things but they seem to be quite clever at figuring things out on their own, even if I start with the "wrong" finger.

In conclusion, you can expect both my right and left hand fingerings to continue to differ. My methods work for me, but may not be advisable to all. I played a lot of guitar before getting started on Classical.. My hands were mostly already trained to be autonomous. If I think about my fingering or try to read while playing everything goes right out the window. So I don't.

Thanks again. Sorry for long winded response. I think about these things often. I always question everything, I'm stubborn that way!

I should note for any beginners that I did at least learn to alternate the i and m fingers before giving up the fingerings and deciding that I will make up my own on my fly. Learning to alternate was a big deal at first, as well as learning about rest strokes. If you are a total noob you might want to follow fingerings at first.. But if you are like me you may eventually allow your fingers some more freedom.. And you might come to prefer not thinking about it. Your fingers just might turn out to be as clever as I think mine can be at times!
Last edited by Christopher Langley on Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Team Flesh

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:46 pm

Greetings to fellow D01 classmates. While this is my first engagement with the D01 forum, I, like Chris, was preparing the first lesson pieces over the last few weeks. Please find my submissions below.

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:42 pm

Great minds think alike, you are hot on my heels Judy :)

I posted feedback on each of your videos on Youtube, I will also copy paste that feedback into this post for everyone's convenience.

Open String No 1:

Hi Judy! Chris here from Delcamp.

Glad to see you posting. Excellent recording and posture. Lovely guitars you have there.

My small slice of feedback.. Try playing along with a metronome. Especially when doing the non musical exercises.. It will help you play more evenly once you turn it off. A good thing to discover early. It took me months before I learned to love my metronome. If you don't own one you can google metronome and a free one pops up.

Also try to extend i finger whilst you activate m finger and vice versa. You are already starting to do so. A very good habit to start early, as it will allow you to play much faster when the time comes.

I will post this feedback on the forum too for your convenience in case you dont see it here.

Keep up the good work. Looking forward to watching you grow and improve as a guitarist.

Feel free to contact me any time if you have questions or need help, I live for this stuff.

Chris

Open String No 2:

Very good. Rushing just a tad maybe. Which is okay by me. It's only an exercise.

Once again the metronome would help you a bit with your evenness.

Dont worry about the thumb part. It is inherently tricky and I don't really agree with the suggested fingering. They are trying to get you used to using the thumb, but this is an awkward way to be using it in my opinion. I think most guitarists would not actually use the thumb here.

Old MacDonald:

Very good! Again the metronome can help you to play the with a moo moo here and a moo moo there part more evenly.

You are slowing down because of the difficulty of that section.

In all honestly it took me forever to get it right and I still mess up this part from time to time despite playing it every day. Stick with it for long enough and you will eventually be able to play it just how you can sing it! This piece is actually really a great exercise in finger alternation.

Au Clair de la Lune:

Very good. Once again I suggest incorporating the metronome.

Sorry if I sound like a broken record. You will be amazed at how it will transform your sense of time.

Be patient with the click.. It takes some real time to learn to work with it. But, once you get the hang of it you will never look back!

General Metronome advice for everyone : Use it, use it, use it.

take the pieces and exercises and slow the click down until you can play them even.. then slowly speed up. it's the absolute best trick I've learned when it comes to guitar. It doesn't always work for me.. but 99% of the time, it helps a lot when I'm struggling.
Team Flesh

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:21 pm

Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:42 pm

I posted feedback on each of your videos on Youtube, I will also copy paste that feedback into this post for everyone's convenience.
Thank you Chris, for taking the time to so carefully analyze my pieces. Your points are all well-taken and I appreciate the detailed feedback. I must say that I, for one, find a metronome distracting and have tried to use one, but invariably put it aside, as I find that it takes away from my concentration and does not improve my timing per se. I may revisit it, if the continued functioning of my "internal metronome" leaves much to be desired, and musical necessity so dictates. Thanks again.
Judy

Robert Drechsler

Post by Robert Drechsler » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:32 pm

Christopher and Judy how did you record your playing? :merci:

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:41 pm

Robert Drechsler wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:32 pm
Christopher and Judy how did you record your playing? :merci:
Robert, I contemplated a few options, all USB microphones (and carotid condenser microphones, ideal for recording the guitar), including the Blue Yeti and the Apogee MIC Plus - I even had the opportunity to try out the Apogee MIC Plus microphone. While the Apogee MIC Plus microphone has a USB cable and an Apple lightning cable, even the Blue Yeti, with its USB cable could be connected directly to my iPad (through which I take the videos) by the use of an Apple camera adapter.

I ultimately decided on the Audio-Technica AT2020 USBi microphone which, as the name suggests is a USB microphone, that has both a USB cable and an Apple lightning cable. I really like the microphone (a carotid condenser microphone) and particularly enjoy the easy setup - plug the microphone with its Apple lightning cable into the iPad, and the internal microphone of the iPad is supplanted by the Audio-Technica microphone. And voila!

Judy

hoang tran

Post by hoang tran » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:33 pm

Hi Judy and Chris, you guys did great! Thanks for sharing some tips and recommendation of using a metronome. I put it away as well when first start practicing and always feel guilty about it. Now, with this new year of lessons, I will force myself getting along with it :). Already feel pressure to stay current with you and others! Hoang

Jeffrey Wijnans

Post by Jeffrey Wijnans » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:04 pm

@judy Verbeeten:
Just curious, are you completely new to the guitar or do you have some experience on the instrument?

Ian Howe

Post by Ian Howe » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:13 pm

Hi to all the D01 gang, Lets keep going through this even when we hit the tough parts.
Chris,
That was a very impressive post for what are some tricky little parts and bar has certainly been set, well done mate.
Judy, well done up putting the pieces together, as mentioned in other posts, the metronome is the way to go. I just stick it on for each of the lessons and it really does help
This is the first time uploading a recording and i certainly found it challenging, after many takes, below is my submission :)

Just on the recording, I still cant decide the best method, phone isn't too bad, I used the phone on 4th vid:
1 - 3 used a mic into behringer UMC204, I'm still a newbie at all this so still looking to dial the sound in. Unfortunately my web camera isnt great but sure it is what it it.

CORDES A VIDE - OPEN STRING 1

CORDES A VIDE - OPEN STRING 2

Old McDonald

AU CLAIR DE LA LUNE -

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”