D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
LarryShone
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by LarryShone » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:16 pm

Christopher Langley wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:50 am
I'll offer some insider information guys,

You don't have to incorporate the thumb in any exercise or piece until lesson 5 (I promise). Also, I would recommend focusing more on the musical pieces than the exercises.. The exercises are just supposed to get you reading and your fingers working.

That sounds odd. The exercise is put in there to train us to use the thumb. I will get it, I'm just had an off day
P.S. To all struggling. A slow metronome can REALLY help, especially with the exercises since they lack musicality. If you haven't tried using a metro, I recommend using it for a while to learn how to play evenly. The click can be very frustrating at first, but ultimately very helpful once you learn how to lean on it.
I have mine set to the recommended tempo, 104bpm, and I don't find it a problem. Can't believe I'm saying that because I've always found it off putting, till now.
Surround yourself with people dear James, they are easier to fight for than principles.
José Ferrer Estudiante 5208A
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Tanglewood DBLT SFCE electro-acoustic
Tanglewood TU 13M concert ukulele
Brunswick Baritone ukulele
Deacon Mandolin

Robert Drechsler

Post by Robert Drechsler » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:28 pm

I think we should be allowed a degree of freedom when choosing how to finger.
I started to learn classic guitar with youtube lessons and i had no clue about using the correct finger. After a while i decided to take some leassons with a teacher and we both worked for a couple of month to get rid of my wrong fingerplay. He said with easy peaces its no problem but i will get problems with more advanced pieces. i realized its very difficult to change wrong habits in playing. Ofcourse everybody can choose his own way but maybe its wise to use/learn the right finger as recommendet. :D

closet guitarist

Post by closet guitarist » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:34 pm

Stick with it Larry! I'm pulling for you.

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:38 am

Robert Drechsler wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:28 pm
I think we should be allowed a degree of freedom when choosing how to finger.
I started to learn classic guitar with youtube lessons and i had no clue about using the correct finger. After a while i decided to take some leassons with a teacher and we both worked for a couple of month to get rid of my wrong fingerplay. He said with easy peaces its no problem but i will get problems with more advanced pieces. i realized its very difficult to change wrong habits in playing. Ofcourse everybody can choose his own way but maybe its wise to use/learn the right finger as recommendet. :D
I have to agree with Robert. Seems to me the best path forward is to learn correct right and left hand development from the start so as to avoid issues down the road as the pieces become more difficult. That will be my path anyway.
1959 Sakazo Nakade
1962 Mitsuru Tamura
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka No 40
1978 Masaru Matano
2010 Hiroshi Komori No 35

LarryShone

Post by LarryShone » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:11 am

Well I went back and had another go-I was about ready to quit yesterday. I find piano much easier-the guitar is like an alien landscape to me. Anyway I decided to practice the section that is tripping me up, the final 4 bars of ex.2, using the thumb with rest stroke. I didnt use a metronome because my daughter is in the other room resting up with a bad cold.
Plus I wanted to get the pattern down without having to worry about keeping time.
I think the problem is, when playing the ima fingers you flex the finger, use the joints. But with the thumb the movement comes from the hand;the thumb joint doesn't come into play, am I right? Push through the strings with the whole thumb as if it didnt have a joint.

Surround yourself with people dear James, they are easier to fight for than principles.
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Deacon Mandolin

closet guitarist

Post by closet guitarist » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:20 pm

I think you have very nice strokes with your fingers and the thumb stroke is better than it was on the other video I commented on. I still think your thumb is too far behind your fingers hence the need to move your fingers out of the way to play your thumb in the video. You are right about the thumb joint as I said previously it similar to the motion of twiddling your thumbs. The thumb is more of a side push rather than a downward push unless you are playing alzapua. The only thing I would suggest is that your fingers are slightly spread apart causing some unneeded tension that will become more problematic further down the road.

Cheers

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:23 pm

Great advice from closet. Keep fingers together. Mine slightly touch. Stick that thumb out more to get it out of the way.

These exercises are just awkward. I've already spoken my opinon on them being kinda pointless, but it won't hurt to do them. I just think everyone's time would be better spent playing the pieces at this level. Old mac Donald is the best exercise/piece of lesson 1.

Funnily enough I find playing with both hands impossible on piano. Guitar comes natural (after many years).

It's not worth getting frustrated over. I would work on the pieces and then come back. I would also just drop using the thumb entirely, as previously suggested. It's extraneous and unnecessary to develop the thumb rest stroke this early and in such a weird context.

But, I'm no expert so nobody wants to listen. Haha.

Think for yourself. Question authority. Keep it fun and enjoyable and musical! :)
Team Flesh

closet guitarist

Post by closet guitarist » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:36 pm

CL - in reference to your omission of the thumb, I would suggest you plant pima on four consecutive strings and play each open note a few times will keeping the others planted. Then try any two notes while keeping the other two planted. It can be difficult but it does help a lot.
Let me know how it goes.

Cheers

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:50 pm

closet guitarist wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:36 pm
CL - in reference to your omission of the thumb, I would suggest you plant pima on four consecutive strings and play each open note a few times will keeping the others planted. Then try any two notes while keeping the other two planted. It can be difficult but it does help a lot.
Let me know how it goes.

Cheers
What is the point of the exercise?

I tried and when I do it, it feels weird and unmusical and I'm forced to play free strokes. I don't get a lot out of exercises. The only useful one so far is at the beginning of lesson 5 to practice rebounding thumb mute, that was much needed.

Maybe I'm an alien. Or just stubborn. Or too familiar with the guitar to get anything out of many exercises. I do all of them that I come across. I just focus more on playing, as hopefully evidenced by my recordings.

To each their own! It was an interesting exercise, but felt weird. I haven't encountered any music where I would need to play like this.
Team Flesh

LarryShone

Post by LarryShone » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:00 pm

Finger training? Muscle memory perhaps? I'm sure the originator of these exercises knew what he was doing.
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Deacon Mandolin

closet guitarist

Post by closet guitarist » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:26 pm

It is very good for finger independence and touch. Stick with it for a while and you will see the benefit musically especially when playing chords.

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:22 pm

Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:50 pm
closet guitarist wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:36 pm
Let me know how it goes.

Cheers

I tried and when I do it, it feels weird and unmusical and I'm forced to play free strokes. I don't get a lot out of exercises. The only useful one so far is at the beginning of lesson 5 to practice rebounding thumb mute, that was much needed.

Maybe I'm an alien. Or just stubborn. Or too familiar with the guitar to get anything out of many exercises. I do all of them that I come across. I just focus more on playing, as hopefully evidenced by my recordings.

To each their own! It was an interesting exercise, but felt weird. I haven't encountered any music where I would need to play like this.
After you’ve done it 5 minutes a day for a couple weeks, let us know.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Robert Drechsler

Post by Robert Drechsler » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:41 pm

Larry have look at the video and thumb position. i think that will help ;-)

Garrie Miller

Post by Garrie Miller » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:47 pm

Ok here are my first 2 vids. I know I need to start working the metronome and work hand position. Looking forward to the critiques

Exercise 1 and 2

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:55 pm

Rick Beauregard wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:22 pm

After you’ve done it 5 minutes a day for a couple weeks, let us know.
I don't have that kind of patience.

I'll keep the exercise banked and bring it back up if I ever encounter a piece where I think the exercise will help.

I don't see the point in learning skills if one doesn't immediately go on to apply them in a musical sense. I can't see the music behind that exercise so.. I don't have any motivation to stick with it yet.

I do appreciate your comment however, I'm sure with more time the exercise would get easier.. and I might eventually see a point behind it, even. I'm just focused on playing pieces.. specifically the first one on lesson 5 (I have recorded all the previous ones already). I'm so close I can taste it. :lol:

Polyphony is a trip.. sounds awesome, but very challenging at first, I must admit. I think it's a steep jump up when you have to start playing with thumb and fingers.
Team Flesh

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”