D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Tom Wimsatt
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:24 pm

Christopher, I hear ya... Try playing these measures (note the muting required), I had a terrible time with muting. This is a D02 piece (wound up being the D02 Exam Piece, so I felt I had to deal with the problem). I don't know if you all have problems with this (string muting) but I sure did.

I found the muting of certain notes of this piece difficult (buzzing strings, etc.) but never realized my thumb was in the way until I made close-ups of my right hand. My thumb was hitting my index finger which interfered with muting. Still a work in progress as you can see, muting is still hit and miss to this day, with difficult pieces (i.e., Schiarazula Marazula).

I use Polyphony-like exercises as part of my warmups, though I hated that sort of thing when I first encountered it.... Just an FYI.
Picture1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1989 Takamine C132S
Yamaha CG-100A

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:45 am

Garrie Miller wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:47 pm
Ok here are my first 2 vids. I know I need to start working the metronome and work hand position. Looking forward to the critiques

Exercise 1 and 2
Hello!

There doesn't seem to be anything attached to your message for us to view.
1959 Sakazo Nakade
1962 Mitsuru Tamura
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka No 40
1978 Masaru Matano
2010 Hiroshi Komori No 35

Jeffrey Wijnans

Post by Jeffrey Wijnans » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:17 am

Christopher Langley wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:55 pm
Rick Beauregard wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:22 pm

After you’ve done it 5 minutes a day for a couple weeks, let us know.
I don't have that kind of patience.

I'll keep the exercise banked and bring it back up if I ever encounter a piece where I think the exercise will help.

I don't see the point in learning skills if one doesn't immediately go on to apply them in a musical sense. I can't see the music behind that exercise so.. I don't have any motivation to stick with it yet.

I do appreciate your comment however, I'm sure with more time the exercise would get easier.. and I might eventually see a point behind it, even. I'm just focused on playing pieces.. specifically the first one on lesson 5 (I have recorded all the previous ones already). I'm so close I can taste it. :lol:

Polyphony is a trip.. sounds awesome, but very challenging at first, I must admit. I think it's a steep jump up when you have to start playing with thumb and fingers.
Well just view it as exercise. For example Usain Bolt, one of the best 100m runners in the world runs a lot but thats not all he spends hours and hours in the weight room. While squatting wont make him a better runner per se generating more force per step will make him accelerate faster which could give him a faster 100m time. This relates to guitar as well. Strengthening your base will only make the peak you can reach higher. Ingraining good habits by exercising them so they become natural only makes you learn pieces in the long run quicker, better etc...

On the other hand and I agree with you on that part at this point in time as a beginner its key to spend time on the instrument. If playing pieces does that while exercises makes you want to quit just play pieces.

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:22 am

Well paced wisdom, Jeffery.
1972 Morris No 12
1972 Ryoji Matsuoka, NO 18
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka, NO. 20
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Martin Guitars (D28, MC28, D12-28, J40)
National Resonator Guitar
Les Paul 1960 reissue

LarryShone

Post by LarryShone » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:47 am

I must admit the exercises are making me feel like quitting too as I don't feel I'm getting anywhere, and its just becoming a chore.
Surround yourself with people dear James, they are easier to fight for than principles.
José Ferrer Estudiante 5208A
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Tanglewood DBLT SFCE electro-acoustic
Tanglewood TU 13M concert ukulele
Brunswick Baritone ukulele
Deacon Mandolin

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:04 pm

LarryShone wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:47 am
I must admit the exercises are making me feel like quitting too as I don't feel I'm getting anywhere, and its just becoming a chore.
Skip them for now and make some music. You can come back and record them after you have one or all of the pieces down. No harm, no foul. I promise. That thumb stroke aint gonna make or break you til lesson 5.
Team Flesh

Solista

Post by Solista » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:54 pm

Robert Drechsler wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:41 pm
Larry have look at the video and thumb position. i think that will help ;-)
nice sharing. thanks :D

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:25 pm

Hang in there guys. Just 5 min every other day. It will pay off. Later there will be more etudes, real music, that helps lock in the techniques. If you're getting frustrated with the exercises then back off of them a little and spend less time each session, but do them every other day or so.

I once was having an issue with left hand fingering and independence. My teacher gave me a weird exercise: hold this pencil with your pinky and more your 2nd and 3rd finger back and forth over the fretboard and do it each day for one week for a minute a day. At first it was pointless. I couldn't do it. But after less than a week I was amazed with the development of my small muscles, and did it effortlessly. Teachers do know what they're doing. Sometimes. Don't give up.

Also the exercises are cumulative. If you don't get it completely after the first month trying, don't worry. You'll move on, then come back to this in later lessons and find these things effortless later on.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

LarryShone

Post by LarryShone » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:35 pm

Well I've not practiced since. Just having a break and my piano keeps calling me.
Surround yourself with people dear James, they are easier to fight for than principles.
José Ferrer Estudiante 5208A
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Tanglewood DBLT SFCE electro-acoustic
Tanglewood TU 13M concert ukulele
Brunswick Baritone ukulele
Deacon Mandolin

Graham Gaya

Post by Graham Gaya » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:09 am

Greetings from Minneapolis fellow learners. I have been following the last few weeks the commentary in the thread. First huge kudos for those who have submitted their videos - it's been a humbling experience! And i've also appreciated the tips and tricks (especially discussion on metronome use), encouragement, and positive vibe in the cohort group. I look fwd to growing along with you.

Please note, I don't have a classical guitar yet :desole: - i will make that investment once I know i'll stick with it in the coming months. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Robert Drechsler

Post by Robert Drechsler » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:25 am

Welcome on board Graham, sounds like you are also a bit behind metronom... (same here :-) ). But it sounds good .

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:38 am

Graham Gaya wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:09 am
Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Hi Graham.

Solid first effort. It seems your Guitar was not tuned correctly for the first video. The other videos sounded in tune however. Also, on Au Clair de la Lune, the b note is supposed to be executed on the g string, fourth fret with your pinky, rather than the open b string. Other than that, it sounded good.

Good to have you onboard.
1959 Sakazo Nakade
1962 Mitsuru Tamura
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka No 40
1978 Masaru Matano
2010 Hiroshi Komori No 35

closet guitarist

Post by closet guitarist » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:40 am

Graham - it all looks good. I would suggest you think about turning wrist a bit clockwise so that the palm is more parallel to the neck. It is more difficult to do when playing down on the first fret. The reason for the suggestion is that the fingers will then need to travel less distances to fret a note and will improve speed and accuracy. Visit some goodwill shops in the area - you might find a guitar for very little money.

Cheers

Ian Howe

Post by Ian Howe » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:44 am

Graham, very well done and also welcome onboard.
I also purchased a cheap spanish guitar for the purposes of going through these lessons. It's well worth it
Looking forward to Lesson 2 !!

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:04 pm

Graham, Very good 1st effort. Using the steel string guitar makes it a bit more of a challenge as the as the spacing between strings and tension are completely different. Speaking of guitars - Is that a Takamine guitar? It looks like it might be one of the "Law Suit" era Takamines from the 70's. Or is it a Martin?
James
Last edited by James A. Showalter on Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1972 Morris No 12
1972 Ryoji Matsuoka, NO 18
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka, NO. 20
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Martin Guitars (D28, MC28, D12-28, J40)
National Resonator Guitar
Les Paul 1960 reissue

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”