D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:33 pm

Just a heads up Graham, and I will let a mod jump in to confirm: the rules require nylon string guitar if you plan to continue to the final exam and request certification. Of course this is optional. But I wouldn’t want you to work so hard and submit 7 lessons on your steel string only to learn you have to do it all over again.

I hope you stick with it. This group will help you with their encouraging feedback I am sure.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Garrie Miller
Student of the online lessons

Post by Garrie Miller » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:32 pm

I still am having a time getting my vid to download. I looks like it downloads the attachment but then says file to large. I am doing this from my IPad that took the video on. The attachment says its 12 MB in size, have no idea why it is so large. Any input appreciated, , I am switching to my desktop and try that instead. I have read most posts here on the subject to no avail yet.thanks all. Garrie

Ian Howe

Post by Ian Howe » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:17 pm

Hey Garrie,

I'm not sure about uploading the vids directly to this forum.
Generally what people are doing is uploading the youtube and posting the link

Garrie Miller

Post by Garrie Miller » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:31 am

Ian Howe wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:17 pm
Hey Garrie,

I'm not sure about uploading the vids directly to this forum.
Generally what people are doing is uploading the youtube and posting the link
Thanks will go with you tube, and link.

LarryShone

Post by LarryShone » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:18 pm

Well I got back on the horse today as it were. Played a little guitar, just focussing on the the thumb rest stroke. Still can't get it. Then played piano and played from a sheet, with the metronome. Then I got my clarinet out of retirement and played that too! 3 instruments at once
Surround yourself with people dear James, they are easier to fight for than principles.
José Ferrer Estudiante 5208A
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Tanglewood DBLT SFCE electro-acoustic
Tanglewood TU 13M concert ukulele
Brunswick Baritone ukulele
Deacon Mandolin

Graham Gaya

Post by Graham Gaya » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:57 pm

Thanks for the review and comments all.

@Robert D - yes I'm doing my best to incorporate the metronome in the practices, like you still a little behind but hopeful it will become bettter

@William B - great catch on the tuning for the first video, it was in Open D when I did it. I'll upload a corrected one. I'm amazed at your eye for detail, great callout on the B note being on the G string with the pinky on the fourth fret rather than the open B string

@Closet guitarist - I was not even conscious of the wrist position until you called it out, thank you. I'm also hunting for a classical guitar, will hopefully get one soon. By the way, that can't be your real name, how did you get past that requirement? :)

@Ian, rock on, will see what I'm able to get. Is there an advantage to a spanish guitar vs any other?

@James S - from the feedback, I'll definitely be moving away from the acoustic steel guitar I currently have. The one I have on the video is nothing fancy, it's a fender I got a few years back and never had the discipline to learn it. With the structure and format with the CG classes, I have a feeling I'll stick to it better.

@Rick B - I appreciate your comment. This definitely lit up my urgency to get a classical guitar - I really want to give this a fair shot and see it through to the exam--> it's quickly becoming a bucket list item to finish the course this year.

closet guitarist

Post by closet guitarist » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:23 pm

Graham Gaya wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:57 pm
@Closet guitarist - I was not even conscious of the wrist position until you called it out, thank you. I'm also hunting for a classical guitar, will hopefully get one soon. By the way, that can't be your real name, how did you get past that requirement? :)
I was just trying to make you aware for the reasons I gave. However down towards the first fret turning the wrist will create some slight tension.

I bought my vintage guitar from a goodwill shop for $20 in Mpls so I have good memories.

Cheers

closet guitarist

Post by closet guitarist » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:29 pm

LarryShone wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:18 pm
Well I got back on the horse today as it were. Played a little guitar, just focussing on the the thumb rest stroke. Still can't get it. Then played piano and played from a sheet, with the metronome. Then I got my clarinet out of retirement and played that too! 3 instruments at once
Good on you, mate. Maybe try curling your fingers towards your palm so they block your thumb from going under the fingers and play a scale until the thumb feels comfortable. Make sure the curled fingers are still relaxed.

Best of luck

Ian Howe

Post by Ian Howe » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:02 pm

Graham Gaya wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:57 pm

@Ian, rock on, will see what I'm able to get. Is there an advantage to a spanish guitar vs any other?
Hi Graham,
It's all completely new to me. Just the feel and tone and handling of the Instrument is a big change.
I have to say i love the tone of nylon strings. If you are like me and need to keep noise down in evening with kids in house it's ideal.

MikeTaylor

Post by MikeTaylor » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:15 am

Hello all,

I have been following along with the discussion about playing with metronomes when practicing versus using your own "internal metronome."

I don't want to be presumptive by telling any person what is right for them but I would like to pass along a bit of advise that I received from a teacher that I had years ago.

A simple way to tell if you should be playing with a metronome while practicing is to record a piece that you feel that you have a fairly good command of and then play it back while playing along with the recording. If you are able to do this without too much difficulty then you may have a reasonably good sense of time, but if you are not able to play in time with your recording then you would likely benefit for working with a metronome.

One of the great joys of making music is playing with others and if you are not able to maintain time with your partner you will not be able to experience that pleasure.

Just some food for thought.
“Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to"
"I don't much care where–"
"Then it doesn't matter which way you go”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Garrie Miller

Post by Garrie Miller » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:49 am

Great progress this week, I forced myself to slow the metronome down. Way down and after a week of forced slow play I can actually speed up and find my fingering correctly, lesson learned. StArt Slow!

I have also solved my video problems and will be posting very soon. I hated being gone for a couple of days found I had classical withdraw. I did bring some music with me just to read. Hope all are coming along and look forward to posting some playing

LarryShone

Post by LarryShone » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:48 am

Please remove me from the lessons as I am unable to continue, thank you.
Surround yourself with people dear James, they are easier to fight for than principles.
José Ferrer Estudiante 5208A
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Tanglewood DBLT SFCE electro-acoustic
Tanglewood TU 13M concert ukulele
Brunswick Baritone ukulele
Deacon Mandolin

Robert Drechsler

Post by Robert Drechsler » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:43 am

Garrie Miller wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:49 am
Great progress this week, I forced myself to slow the metronome down. Way down and after a week of forced slow play I can actually speed up and find my fingering correctly, lesson learned. StArt Slow!

I have also solved my video problems and will be posting very soon. I hated being gone for a couple of days found I had classical withdraw. I did bring some music with me just to read. Hope all are coming along and look forward to posting some playing
Hey Garrie, looking forward for your videos ;-)

Group already moved to next lesson (D01 Classical guitar lesson 02)

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:15 am

I've decided to start playing with the correct fingers.

Team Flesh

Ian Howe

Post by Ian Howe » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:30 pm

Hey Chris,
I thought you had jumped ship for a while there :)
Fair play on the re-post and deciding on to use correct fingerings. watched the vids and they are all spot on.
season 3 slowly upon us now :)

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”