D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Christopher Langley » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:58 pm

James, we have to pick and choose our battles. You are right it is important to note my decision to alter fingerings to suite myself. I don't wish to lead anyone astray.

I don't suggest anyone to bend the rules for themselves before they first adhere to them and I don't advise anyone to necessarily follow in my footsteps. It's just what I have decided to do.

At some point I decided fingering of either hand is not at all what I'm personally worried about.

I'm focused on playing well (correct notes and in time) and getting nice recordings and playing from memory. So, I allow myself slack and freedom when it comes to fingerings and sight reading. It's just not what I really care about at the moment.

Time will tell whether my approach will continue to work for me. All I can say is I'm happy when I give my fingers freedom and I'm sad when I don't.

I would not be surprised if at a certain level of playing fingering becomes more important. At this level, I think the main thing to make sure is that you are planting thumb, alternating your fingers well and doing rest strokes. Which finger to use first seems arbitrary and some of the fingerings do not make sense to my fingers so I allow them freedom. But, I am not an advanced player. There are large gaps in my knowledge, for sure. Also this freedom developed over time. I had to focus on my alternation in the beginning. The first pieces really teach alternation well.

The main thing is and always will be my sound :)

I hope my submissions will be accepted even though I sometimes do change the pieces :)
My Recordings

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIXjqRtpseK-33zafCSUfVPpFWHgyh-LZ

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:35 pm

Chris,
No worries. You're making music.
James
1972 Morris No. 12
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka, No. 20
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Martin Guitars (MC28, D12-28, J40)
National Resonator Guitar
Les Paul 1960 reissue

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:04 pm

James A. Showalter wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:35 pm
Chris,
No worries. You're making music.
James
Exactly :P

I wanted to follow up with all I wrote and say.. I may play different fingerings than indicated. But, I do make sure my playing always stays ergonomic and sensical. So same goal.. Just a different path. If that makes sense.

I don't throw everything out. I just allow myself a certain degree of freedom in playing.

I have personally found that I play better the less I think and the more I just let the music flow through me naturally, but I would hate to steer anyone wrong and it takes a certain amount of purposeful practice before one can just let it flow. It doesn't happen overnight, but it's sure nice when you get there.

I'm sure you have all experienced this phenomena.. Or will soon, you can play something well.. But as soon as you start thinking about it the piece will fall apart.

I think the trick is to not think when playing. Do your thinking while playing slowly in practice. Yeah, it's definitely the approach that works for me!

It's taken me a while (around 5 years) to really come to these conclusions. I'm probably getting ahead of most of you, but I really wish I knew these things going in, so I'm eager to share. I know some will skim my posts, but that's okay. The one's looking to really learn will read everything :P

Sorry if I repeated myself at all. Typing from my phone so it's hard to organize thoughts.
My Recordings

Michael McGarty

Post by Michael McGarty » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:53 pm

Christopher, I just want to thank you for taking the time to comment. As a beginner myself, I find your enthusiasm and support very beneficial.

I will heed your advice in regards to less time on practicing with a more steady focus measure by measure.
Cb = B

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:33 am

Awesome Michael,

I was worried maybe I was posting too much. Nice to know someome is actually reading what I'm saying.

I'll be here all year, I'm not going anywhere.. Except maybe on to year 2 :)

If you ever need any help, I'm here and some guys who are actually qualified even check in from time to time.

I really enjoy this forum. I've never had such a pleasant online experience as I do here.

Looking forward to your posts and submissions Michael thanks for your comment. Made my night buddy.

Goodnight all & happy practicing. Don't forget to enjoy it! If you find yourself frustrated, put it down for while. It really helps! Sometimes all you need is a break.

:bye:
My Recordings

Robert Drechsler

Post by Robert Drechsler » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:37 pm

mhhhh how do you post your video? won't work..... :desole:

Robert Drechsler

Post by Robert Drechsler » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:09 pm

I think i got it :D Here is my first submission

Ian Howe

Post by Ian Howe » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:27 pm

Hey Robert,
Congrats on getting the first submissions up. I've not uploaded to youtube either so took me some time to figure out the story with that also :)

the first video was very good.
It was pretty spot on with the metronome.
I'm also a firm believer in performing all these exercises and melodies with metronome on by the way.

Listening to the other exercises and melodies you are playing a little behind the metronome.
I would suggest bring the metronome speed back 10 or 20 BPM and gradually build it back up

Well done anyway and welcome to the group
I'm sure we'll have a bit of fun overall with bringing our guitar game to the next level :)

Ian
Alvaro No.20
Take it one | | at a time

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:30 pm

Very good work Robert.

Some buzzing which comes from not fretting exactly perfect. You know the old saying,...

Practice makes perfect.

Is that a classical cutaway guitar?

James
1972 Morris No. 12
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka, No. 20
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Martin Guitars (MC28, D12-28, J40)
National Resonator Guitar
Les Paul 1960 reissue

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:14 pm

Beautiful guitar Robert. The others are spot on with the advice.

You are playing well, but not always with the click. So you need to slow down the click to where you feel like you are waiting and anticipating the next click/note.. As it currently stands your click is like a runaway train.

You will get the hang of it. Good first submissions!
My Recordings

Robert Drechsler

Post by Robert Drechsler » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:14 pm

James A. Showalter wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:30 pm
Is that a classical cutaway guitar?
Its an Alhambra Nature CW EZ, had no clue about a guitar so i just tried some at a store and
i liked that one.

@ Ian: i try to hear the metronome while playing but suddenly my ears just concentrate on guitar ;-) but we are at leason one and we will improve for sure :casque:

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:39 pm

Robert, solid first submission. The one aspect of Old MacDonald that I found most challenging, was the introduction to damping. I was quite cognizant of the requirement to damp the designated notes. I think you missed a few "damped notes" in the piece (as did I!).

Without the runaway metronome in the background, I thought your timing was reasonable.

Judy

Robert Drechsler

Post by Robert Drechsler » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:00 pm

I think the damped notes will be on of our challange ;-)

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:18 pm

If you are failing to dampen notes. You are playing too fast.

If you can't play evenly and with the click, you are playing too fast.

You guys will get it.

The good news is that working with a click and dampening both become second nature after a while.

Both are really very hard to begin with. Just don't give up!
My Recordings

Jeffrey Wijnans

Post by Jeffrey Wijnans » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:25 pm

@robert great tone you got there. The only thing I would suggest is try to get the thumb behind the middle finger. In you last video it seems a bit off since you had to stretch your pinky but this could be the angle of the camera as well.

Question for all of you.
How do you guys feel about the metronoom? What I mean is I think its a great practice tool but as far as using them in the video's I dont know. My guess is you cant use them for your exam at the end so it might be a good idea to try and gauge the BPM while playing so you develop a better sense of speed and rhythm.

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”