D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Christopher Langley » Thu May 02, 2019 4:02 pm

Paul Cezanne wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 3:54 pm
Christopher Langley wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 3:49 pm

That strange marking is called a fermata. Typically it means you can hold the note and extend it.. However in this situation it seems to involves cutting one of the notes short (staccato). If you use your ears you will hear it in the piece. I think maybe the fermata marking is a mistake on the score. To my ears it should be a staccato dot.
I think it is fine there. Try playing that note and instead of counting to 4, count to 5. It gives a nice sense of drama and tension to the part which is immediately resolved when you resume playing.
You are right Paul. I edited my response. I'm actually hearing the staccato note which comes previous to the fermata which interestingly is not indicated.

Over here we sing the song in grade school.. But, maybe a little different than written. I find if I learned it one way it's next to impossible to reprogram. A worthless pursuit. So, I just play it the way I have always heard it!
Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep.

Minh-Man Nguyen

Post by Minh-Man Nguyen » Tue May 07, 2019 12:08 pm

Minh-Man Nguyen wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 2:28 pm
Hi all,
I have some questions about symbol.
Hoping someone will explain for me.
1. What are the numbers and the upside-down bow with a dot insight?
Screenshot_4.png
2. Why do we play third string instead second string for note SI?
Screenshot_5.png
3. What is the hyphen?
Screenshot_6.png
Thank you very much! :merci: :merci: :merci:
The answers to most of your questions would mostly be answered by watching the video of Delcamp playing the piece and by looking at this:
https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/Append ... al_symbols

It's very good to think for yourself. That being said.. It's okay to ask too. We don't mind.

1)The numbers above the staff are keeping track of the bars. The 8 below the treble clef means we play up a full octave from what is written. If you don't quite know what this means. Don't worry.

That strange marking is called a fermata. Typically it means you can hold the note and extend it.. However in this situation it seems to involves cutting one of the notes short (staccato). If you use your ears you will hear it in the piece. I think maybe the fermata marking is a mistake on the score. To my ears it should be a staccato dot. Again, if you don't understand, don't worry. Just use your ears to immitate the piece.

*edit* to my ears there should be a staccato dot on the note before the one with the fermata. And the fermata is fine. I just don't personally extend this note when I play it.

2) Different tone. Different mechanics. Allows vibrato. You can play it where you want, But it will change the tone some. And you can't vibrato an open note. (Easily)

3) Vibrato! (Watch the video)

Cheers. Keep paying such close attention and you will do well.

I just recommend paying more attention to the videos and less to the sheet music and markings.. Probabaly the opposite of what most would say. So, take my advice for what it is.. I'm no expert. I only know the videos really help me immensely. Maybe more than the sheet. Others will feel differently.
Thank Christopher,
I can play what I see in the video but I don't understand why it is played like that.
Thank for your help. :merci:

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Wed May 08, 2019 2:21 pm

I just recommend paying more attention to the videos and less to the sheet music and markings.. Probabaly the opposite of what most would say.
Not the opposite, but a different view.
The lessons here are progressive, each building on previous lessons and laying foundations for future lessons, also they are developing different musical skills at the same time.
One of those skills is sight reading. This is an important skill for any musician and it’s good to take any opportunity to develop it. I usually run through a piece as a sight reading exercise before watching the video, sometimes I will only listen to the video once all the way through, other times I will listen carefully to specific parts of the video when there are passages where new ideas are introduced.
Many of the pieces will differ from other versions we may have heard, but it’s important to reproduce what is in the sheet music here if you want to get maximum benefit from the lessons.

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”