D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Judy Verbeeten
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:08 pm

Jeffrey Wijnans wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:25 pm

How do you guys feel about the metronoom? What I mean is I think its a great practice tool but as far as using them in the video's I dont know. My guess is you cant use them for your exam at the end so it might be a good idea to try and gauge the BPM while playing so you develop a better sense of speed and rhythm.
Jeff, Chris has made some very valid points about using the metronome. Problem is - it is just not for me. If I practice with it (and I have tried), it distracts me and takes away from my sense of musicality - I feel like I am in a military marching band, with the band leader constantly shouting in my ear. I know this is akin to musical heresy - but so what, if my notes do not exactly match the absolute perfect timing.

Please don't get me wrong - I understand the benefits of using a metronome, but it ain't for me. While my 'internal metronome' may be wanting, for me, it is adequate enough. Moreover, I know when my timing is too slow or too fast or irregular and I try and correct it the next time around.

I hate the tic-toc. Then again, we got rid of a Swiss clock that did the same thing in our den.

Judy.

Jeffrey Wijnans

Post by Jeffrey Wijnans » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:31 pm

My submission for the first week. Feedback is always welcome.

Randy Johnson

Post by Randy Johnson » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:28 pm

Jeffrey Wijnans wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:25 pm
How do you guys feel about the metronoom? What I mean is I think its a great practice tool but as far as using them in the video's I dont know. My guess is you cant use them for your exam at the end so it might be a good idea to try and gauge the BPM while playing so you develop a better sense of speed and rhythm.
I feel the metronome is a great tool but like all tools it takes practice to learn to use it.

You could start learning how to use one anytime, even away from the guitar just by listening to one and learning to hear it. Once you learn to hear it while doing other tasks you can start teaching yourself to react on the beat by taping your foot or a finger. You can do this while watching tv or driving.

At this point/level I believe technique, note recognition and fingering is more important then useing one. I also feel it's a personal preference just as Chris using fingering he feels comfortable with.

We are here to learn but it must also be enjoyable so if you don't like a metronome I say that's fine.

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:02 am

Very musical Jeffrey.
I think the damped notes will be on of our challange

James
1972 Morris No. 12
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka, No. 20
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Martin Guitars (MC28, D12-28, J40)
National Resonator Guitar
Les Paul 1960 reissue

Robert Drechsler

Post by Robert Drechsler » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:13 am

Hey Jeffrey welcome on Board ;-) i will work on my thumb position.

Ian Howe

Post by Ian Howe » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:41 pm

Hey Jeffrey,
Very well played and as far as i can tell each piece is played great.

One thing i notice, especially the last piece "Au Clair" the fingers on the fretting hand move a good distance away after striking each note.
I'm guilty of this myself but watching the pro's , they move very little distance ever from the fret board.
Try at all times to keep all the fingers a couple milimeters from the strings. This is tough :)

Anyway, welcome on board. we'll have a blast !!

Ian
Alvaro No.20
Take it one | | at a time

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:58 pm

Ian Howe wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:41 pm

One thing i notice, especially the last piece "Au Clair" the fingers on the fretting hand move a good distance away after striking each note.
I'm guilty of this myself but watching the pro's , they move very little distance ever from the fret board.
Try at all times to keep all the fingers a couple milimeters from the strings. This is tough :)
Jeff, well-played. Ian's observation is well-taken. I also have noted that, in particular, my pinky finger has a mind of its own, and tends to project upwards away from the fret. I try to make an extra effort to try and prevent this, but, I must say, to date, I have not always been successful. This is where observers' recommendations are so helpful - to nip 'bad habits' early on. Apparently, the pinky-finger issue is a common problem, early on.

Judy

Jeffrey Wijnans

Post by Jeffrey Wijnans » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:46 pm

@Ian and Judy: noticed it too while working on the video's. Thanks for the advise, got something extra to work on for week 2 I guess :D

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:52 am

I would comment that all of this is just hard. We should spend weeks doing nothing but exercises to train our digits to act properly. I think the rhythm part is actually the easiest even though I lack any natural sense of it. At least with the songs we know from our youth. Abstract concepts like damping are the hardest. It's like negative mass that we know is out there balancing the solar system. Add on the complexity of the physical response of putting yourself on camera and putting it out there for review. I can handle the feedback but a camera is just not my friend. The sum total of my comment is that if we are serious about learning this instrument then we will likely spend the remainder of our lives on it and not mastering it. Well maybe the youth amongst us.
1972 Morris No. 12
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka, No. 20
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Martin Guitars (MC28, D12-28, J40)
National Resonator Guitar
Les Paul 1960 reissue

Michael McGarty

Post by Michael McGarty » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:32 am

James. thanks for posting in this D01 thread. You're leaving bits of wisdom while letting this group catalyze naturally. As far as my progress goes, it's very slow at 30+ minutes a day. I'm not ready to post vids yet and feel uncomfortable commenting on others performance.
Every point made seems valid so far and I'm glad to be part of this particular group.

-stay tuned!
Cb = B

Robert Drechsler

Post by Robert Drechsler » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:11 am

James its a beginner class, you shouldn't feel uncomfortable at all 👍

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:50 am

So here goes. Please be gentle. I know I have a lot to work on. Feedback is always welcome.

I will post again towards the end of the month. Hopefully there will be some improvement.

Bill

1966 Kazuo Yairi Uzuki
1967 Sadao Yairi Seijin
1971 Mitsuru Tamura No 600

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:05 am

My mic was definitely too hot for these recordings. I’ll adjust next time around.
1966 Kazuo Yairi Uzuki
1967 Sadao Yairi Seijin
1971 Mitsuru Tamura No 600

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:53 am

William Byrd wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:05 am
My mic was definitely too hot for these recordings. I’ll adjust next time around.
No need to be gentle in the analysis, William. Solid performance. I can definitely relate to your frustration at the end of Old MacDonald. Everything is going well, and then right at the end, there is a small fingering 'mishap'. How many times has that also happened to me? Repeatedly. I know, for me, as I approach the end of a piece, where I feel I have performed relatively well, my anticipation (anxiety?) over reaching the end of the piece 'flawlessly', starts my adrenalin rushing, and boom, I flub the last 'easy' segment.

Yes, the twanginess was from a mic with too high a setting - something I also have experienced. May I inquire as to what mic you are using, and how close was the mic to your guitar?

Judy

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:26 pm

Jeffrey,

You only want to use the click until you can play even and up to speed. Once you've got the piece down with the click it stops being a tool and starts being a crutch so you want to then turn it off and use your internal rhythm.

I don't count in my head. Never could, I just "feel" the timing for lack of a better word.

Judy,

I really don't recommend disowning the metronome entirely. I made this same mistake at the beginning.

Keep trying it as you get the pieces under your fingers.. I promise that eventually you will hit a point in these lessons where you will really need and want to use a click. It's best to learn to love it sooner than later.
Last edited by Christopher Langley on Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Recordings

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIXjqRtpseK-33zafCSUfVPpFWHgyh-LZ

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”