D02 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Judy Verbeeten
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02-01 Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:24 pm

Nelson Lee wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:58 pm

Let's improve on the guitar together. Regards, Nelson.
Thanks Nelson. Great advice - yes I am starting to follow Bradford Werner's excellent site also.

Best, Judy

Andrei Puhach

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Andrei Puhach » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:00 pm

Nelson Lee wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:37 am
Hi Everyone. The following videos are my D02-01 Lesson pieces with the following focus:

1. Start with slow tempo, tapping the beat, internalizing the beat. Increase tempo when rhythm and the beat are together.
2. Left hand lower knuckles inline and close to fingerboard.
3. Right hand fingering at 45 degrees to guitar strings.

I have included video with and without metronome beats. Oh! Susanna was messed up, because I went off the metronome beat at one spot (I get stage-fright with the camera and lost my focus).

Please feel free to give me feedback. Thanks so much for the support, Nelson.
Hey Nelson, some observations.
You definitely have great right hand placement and position, there is no tension, you are able to move the hand freely along the soundboard, the wrist is straight, fingers look quite independent. Also, switching between free and rest strokes does not require hand re-adjustment, that's really great (I just checked my D02 videos and the hand position is quite bad in there, but after ~2 years I figured out how to fix it).

Now, some areas of improvement:
1. Tone and sound. Most likely the nail shape/length is not working for you. Ideally, there should be no clicking sound and the tone should be warmer. Again, I just checked out my own old videos and the tone was very similar. It improved a lot within 2 years. So, I hope you'll figure out what works best for you. What worked for me was a bit shorter length and a heated spoon to un-curl nails a bit (there are some topic on Delcamp about that). Also, each finger needs its own nail shape, this is very individual.
2. Missing thumb damps (for example, in Oh Susanna). This might be tricky :) It is actually a very useful technique. Even if it is not needed in many pieces it helps develop independence between the thumb and other fingers. Actually, some pieces sound bad without damps. For example, my favorite one: "вальс свиридова метель чигинцев" (sorry, it is in Russian, no English transliteration works in Google or Youtube). I'm learning it now and I'm very grateful to Delcamp lessons which helped me develop the damping technique.

Good luck! :bye:
Cordoba C9

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:41 pm

Ken Kim wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:46 pm
Nelson Lee wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:32 pm
Dear Ken,
I viewed and listened to your D02-01 lesson videos and below are my comments:
1. Nice job! Rhythm is very good.
2. With the tempo you chose, your pieces are mellow. Can you play them at the recommended tempo?
3. RH and LH position is very good, as well as the guitar/body position. You can consider positioning the guitar so it sits on your lap straighter without so much leaning angle. I believe this will change the angle of the fingerboard and result in less stress on your LH wrist.
4. Moreover, I noticed your LH fingers are inline with the guitar strings most of the time and this is excellent. Occasionally though your LH fingers would be in an angle to the strings with the pinky pulling away from the finger board. This forces your pinky to be straight and stressed (not bent and relaxed), and you tend to finger the strings with the ball of your pinky instead of the tip of the pinky. Try to keep your LH fingers inline with the strings, especially when you are fingering with the pinky. This will improve fingering speed and reach.
Ken, thank you for making the effort to comment on my videos. Your feedback and support has helped immensely. And, I hope my observations (as a novice) serves you to improve your practice.
Great job and let's improve our guitar skills together. Regards, Nelson.
Thank you much for great tips, Nelson. My rest stroke isn't confident as yours, but I'll try to do it again in right tempo. Can do it with free stroke, but not sure with apoyando.
I thought guitar position would be ok to be slanted toward my chest. As I tried your suggestion, you are right and I'm definitely wrong about this. All I can say is WOW. This little tip just gave my left pinky freedom to move better. Scales got easier too. I really appreciate this.
About LH fingers inline tip, I also learned from D03 Student Tom Wimsatt about couple weeks ago. He suggested this to his fellow D03 student. It really did make sense, since his LH looks so relaxed. I'm working on it. I think your suggestion of guitar position will fix all this problems.
Don't miss your Daily practice! Enjoy playing! :guitare:
Cheers,
I didn't expect I could do these 2 pieces in right tempo. A little rough but played in right tempo with all the dampings.
Thank you also to suggest this, Nelson. Very appreciated. Now moving on from Lesson 1.
104 bpm and 160 bpm

Cheers, :guitare:
Ken

Sore Fingers & Mind in heaven
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Robert England Hauser SP/F.Maple
Cordoba C12 SP* Rodriguez CD*Torres SP
Hill New World Player CD 615mm
Ryoji Matsuoka M60 SP '84
La Patrie Presentation CD
Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

Nelson Lee

Post by Nelson Lee » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:26 am

Dear Andre,

Thank you for taking the time and effort in evaluating my lesson videos. Your feedback continues to be helpful.

I will go back and include the thumb damping on Oh! Susanna.

I have reread books and rewatched videos on proper tone production on the guitar while fingering. I am confused because I am following your suggestions and the instructions from books/videos. Can I share with you my observations on the way I am shaping my nails and the way I am plucking the strings? Perhaps, I am missing something that you can see.

Regards, Nelson

Nelson Lee

D02 Classical guitar lesson 01 (Ken Kim)

Post by Nelson Lee » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:42 am

Dear Ken,
Nice work on the last uploads of the D02-01 songs. Nice alignment of the RH fingers to the strings. How does this adjustment feel for you?

Again, thanks for your support. Regards, Nelson
Last edited by Nelson Lee on Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nelson Lee

D02 Classical guitar lesson 01 (Ken Kim)

Post by Nelson Lee » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:43 am

Sorry, upload my message twice accidentally.

Linda Kimbrel

Post by Linda Kimbrel » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:11 pm

<t>Ken Kim, your playing astonished me, after reading your remark that you began playing the guitar less than two months ago. Do you play other instruments? You play with a smoothness of flow and intonation that implies a deep familiarity with musical structure. Your submission of Que ne suis-je la fougere was very pleasing and gentle to my ear. <br/>
<br/>
I would like to contribute more in the way of critique for my fellow classmates’ performances here, but I am sorely lacking in my own grasp of proper technique and presentation, and often don’t understand why or where another player is having difficulty or have the knowledge necessary to help them address an issue. That said, the comments all of you have been offering on each other’s work not only assist and enrich our playing skills, they also instruct me in what to listen for and how to observe in a useful fashion. <br/>
<br/>
I have my submissions for lesson 1 finished, although I am no longer entirely satisfied with them after viewing everyone else’s submissions here. I conquered the technical problems I had with assembling a functional recording setup, but have been unable to successfully upload the video to the forum. I am following the guidelines I found for uploading video so I expect my difficulty lies with my dismal rural Midwest internet access, poor connectivity and very slow data transfer speeds. I will find a way to make it work eventually, though.<br/>
<br/>
Onward to Lesson 2!</t>

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:39 pm

Nelson Lee wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:37 am
Hi Everyone. The following videos are my D02-01 Lesson pieces with the following focus:

1. Start with slow tempo, tapping the beat, internalizing the beat. Increase tempo when rhythm and the beat are together.
2. Left hand lower knuckles inline and close to fingerboard.
3. Right hand fingering at 45 degrees to guitar strings.

I have included video with and without metronome beats. Oh! Susanna was messed up, because I went off the metronome beat at one spot (I get stage-fright with the camera and lost my focus).

Please feel free to give me feedback. Thanks so much for the support, Nelson.
Hi Nelson. Wow! You have come a long way in a year. I don't really have much to add to what you've been told so far:

1) General comment #1: You might want to slow down just a tad. I deliberately select a metronome speed, for longer pieces in particular, to where I can play the toughest parts smoothly. Note: I often play too fast, trying to play the piece as I have it "in my head" so to speak.

2) General comment #2: Clicking sounds mentioned in prior comments. I noticed the same thing. I even popped your video to full screen so I could get a closer look at your RH. I'm not sure of the issue, your RH form looks good to me. Points made regarding fingernail features, and playing with fingernail only, seem reasonable. I've done the same thing, with Arpeggios in particular. Once I get comfortable with a note progression, I sometimes "smack" the strings with my finger nails rather than pluck. Don't know if this helps. I don't think its a huge problem by the way.

My hunch is that you'll work this out as you go along. After almost of two years in this program, I am starting to notice a lot more details regarding sounds made while playing than I used to, string muting and string volume in particular. It doesn't always show in my playing, but the point is that I'm more aware (a first step towards correcting the problem).

Thanks for asking for inputs. Its great to hear from you again. It looks like you've got a fantastic group to work with in D02.
Tom Wimsatt
1989 Takamine C132S
Yamaha CG-100A

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:21 pm

Linda Kimbrel wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:11 pm
<t>Ken Kim, your playing astonished me, after reading your remark that you began playing the guitar less than two months ago. Do you play other instruments? You play with a smoothness of flow and intonation that implies a deep familiarity with musical structure. Your submission of Que ne suis-je la fougere was very pleasing and gentle to my ear. <br/>
<br/>
I would like to contribute more in the way of critique for my fellow classmates’ performances here, but I am sorely lacking in my own grasp of proper technique and presentation, and often don’t understand why or where another player is having difficulty or have the knowledge necessary to help them address an issue. That said, the comments all of you have been offering on each other’s work not only assist and enrich our playing skills, they also instruct me in what to listen for and how to observe in a useful fashion. <br/>
<br/>
I have my submissions for lesson 1 finished, although I am no longer entirely satisfied with them after viewing everyone else’s submissions here. I conquered the technical problems I had with assembling a functional recording setup, but have been unable to successfully upload the video to the forum. I am following the guidelines I found for uploading video so I expect my difficulty lies with my dismal rural Midwest internet access, poor connectivity and very slow data transfer speeds. I will find a way to make it work eventually, though.<br/>
<br/>
Onward to Lesson 2!</t>
Hi, Linda Kimbrel.

Thank you for kind word. I've been playing guitar NOT for 2 months, but 14 months since August 2017 last year, I don't play any instrument at all, although I majored in Classical Voice. I perform Cantata, Oratorio, and Gala Concert as a Baritone soloist from time to time. It is kinda funny that everybody around me do not understand why I'm learning guitar. This semi career helped me much to learn guitar thru Decamp forum.

To be honest, above my Que ne suis-je la fougere sounds OK, but lack of articulation. It is all same from start to end(No fun, vibrato or feeling).

You might need to upload your videos to YouTube, then put YouTube link in your submission post. I believe that's how most students do it here.

It becomes strong motivation to post your videos, because you have great audience. We all live life once with lots of mistake. Doesn't have to be perfect. If you watch above D05 student Andrei Puhach's performance, my videos are joke to compare to his. I love the way he perform. I wish I can play like him one day.

Happy playing! Don't forget your daily practice!

Ken

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

Nelson Lee

D02-01 lesson video (nelson lee)

Post by Nelson Lee » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:13 pm

Dear Tom,

Nice to hear from you, and thank you for taking the time to evaluate my lesson uploads and for the feedback that I need to improve my guitar playing.

I will slow the tempo, per your suggestion, since it is better to play smoothly rather than to rush and sound unmusical. I have been using the metronome to move me along since I tend to play on the slow side.

The clicking sound continues to be a challenge. I am going to focus and give more attention to what I am doing to cause this. I have been watching videos and re-reading instructions about nail shaping, fingering, and tone production. I am experimenting with shaping my nails and the planting my fingers on the string, applying pressure downward, and releasing and following through. I am also experimenting on (RH) finger angle and placement around the sound hole. I hope one or more of these factors will improve my tone. Also, I will try to listen to my tone....REAlLY listen with awareness and I will see if I can be more gentle with the way I finger the strings (I suspect I am smacking down on the strings).

Once again, thank you for time, effort, and kindness, in helping me with my guitar practice. Regards, Nelson
Last edited by Nelson Lee on Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:13 am

Ken Kim wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:21 pm
Linda Kimbrel wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:11 pm
<br/>
<br/>
<br/>
Onward to Lesson 2!</t>
Hi, Linda Kimbrel.

Thank you for kind word. I've been playing guitar NOT for 2 months, but 14 months since August 2017 last year, I don't play any instrument at all, although I majored in Classical Voice. I perform Cantata, Oratorio, and Gala Concert as a Baritone soloist from time to time. It is kinda funny that everybody around me do not understand why I'm learning guitar. This semi career helped me much to learn guitar thru Decamp forum.

To be honest, above my Que ne suis-je la fougere sounds OK, but lack of articulation. It is all same from start to end(No fun, vibrato or feeling).

You might need to upload your videos to YouTube, then put YouTube link in your submission post. I believe that's how most students do it here.

It becomes strong motivation to post your videos, because you have great audience. We all live life once with lots of mistake. Doesn't have to be perfect. If you watch above D05 student Andrei Puhach's performance, my videos are joke to compare to his. I love the way he perform. I wish I can play like him one day.

Happy playing! Don't forget your daily practice!

Wow, did not expect to get praised that much :P :P :merci:

I assure you that you play this lesson assignment WAY better than I did when I was in D02. The technique looks perfect: economy of movement, efficient strokes, only fingers move (barely), the hand is steady, the tone is consistent and full. And, as Chu Bun commented on my submission here viewtopic.php?p=1307700#p1307700 : "I think it is a very good sign when your rest stroke appears as free stroke. " Your stroke looks like a free stroke. Also, it looks like you figured out the right nail shape.
The only thing I noticed is using the same RH finger twice in a row sometimes (not alternating).

If you managed to get all these right habits and great foundation in mere 14 months - that's double impressive. I'd only expect that mastery if you had a good teacher and _plenty_ of time and patience to do deliberate practice. Looks like your Classical Voice training helped you somehow :) So, congrats on getting the foundation right, you save tons of time on relearning and fighting bad habits in future, that's a really good start.
My only warning is that progressing that fast might not last forever. At some point you might hit a wall which will take time and effort to overcome. So far you have been getting huge rewards for relatively little time spent. I'd recommend this video: HBTyzsmeruM (Matthew McAllister galleryofguitar Vlog Patience). Somehow Youtube only lists this video when entering the ID in the search query, but does not show it when entering the title...
Cordoba C9

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:16 pm

Andrei Puhach wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:13 am
Wow, did not expect to get praised that much :P :P :merci:

I assure you that you play this lesson assignment WAY better than I did when I was in D02. The technique looks perfect: economy of movement, efficient strokes, only fingers move (barely), the hand is steady, the tone is consistent and full. And, as Chu Bun commented on my submission here viewtopic.php?p=1307700#p1307700 : "I think it is a very good sign when your rest stroke appears as free stroke. " Your stroke looks like a free stroke. Also, it looks like you figured out the right nail shape.
The only thing I noticed is using the same RH finger twice in a row sometimes (not alternating).

If you managed to get all these right habits and great foundation in mere 14 months - that's double impressive. I'd only expect that mastery if you had a good teacher and _plenty_ of time and patience to do deliberate practice. Looks like your Classical Voice training helped you somehow :) So, congrats on getting the foundation right, you save tons of time on relearning and fighting bad habits in future, that's a really good start.
My only warning is that progressing that fast might not last forever. At some point you might hit a wall which will take time and effort to overcome. So far you have been getting huge rewards for relatively little time spent. I'd recommend this video: HBTyzsmeruM (Matthew McAllister galleryofguitar Vlog Patience). Somehow Youtube only lists this video when entering the ID in the search query, but does not show it when entering the title...
I try to send pm to you. Guess it didn't work out. First of all, thank you much for generous comment, Andrei. Your response was a surprise. I've often listened your Capricho Arabe. Very great and bold with blessed rendering.

I'll definitely look into videos that you suggested. I'm progressing not fast, but very steady. I try not to miss my daily practice because I do know I have to do 2,3 times more work to be where I was in 2 days ago. I devoted to guitar practice for last 14 months. I even turned down 2 vocal performance offers.
Thank you again for your advices. I'll send pm to you, if i hit the wall.👍 :guitare:

Cheers,
Ken

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

Linda Kimbrel

Post by Linda Kimbrel » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:42 am

Okay classmates, I’m playing catch-up here. After a month of muddling and fiddling, I have cobbled together a recording setup. Many attempts later I’ve come to the conclusion that my home WiFi connection is too anemic, my uploads invariably failed to complete. After more trial and error I find that I can take my phone with my recordings out to my car and successfully upload the video to YouTube using the car’s WiFi hotspot. My car’s WiFi is at least ten times as fast as the house WiFi.

Here then (with any luck as I have never tried to link a YouTube video to anything!) are my recordings for lesson 1. You will notice first off that I am not playing a classical guitar. I only recently purchased this Martin acoustic and will not be in a position to obtain an actual classical guitar for some time. The Martin does have nylon strings on it for these classes. The narrower neck width is a bit more difficult to navigate cleanly but “It is what it is”,

Here we go:

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:44 pm

Linda Kimbrel wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:42 am
Okay classmates, I’m playing catch-up here. After a month of muddling and fiddling, I have cobbled together a recording setup. Many attempts later I’ve come to the conclusion that my home WiFi connection is too anemic, my uploads invariably failed to complete. After more trial and error I find that I can take my phone with my recordings out to my car and successfully upload the video to YouTube using the car’s WiFi hotspot. My car’s WiFi is at least ten times as fast as the house WiFi.
Here then (with any luck as I have never tried to link a YouTube video to anything!) are my recordings for lesson 1. You will notice first off that I am not playing a classical guitar. I only recently purchased this Martin acoustic and will not be in a position to obtain an actual classical guitar for some time. The Martin does have nylon strings on it for these classes. The narrower neck width is a bit more difficult to navigate cleanly but “It is what it is”,
Here we go:
Hi, Linda.

Great job! Both sound and tempo are good to me. You look quite familiar with accoustic guitar. Your left hand tells me that.
It would be much better to have cheap CG instead of AG because nut width and flat fingerboard will make difference on your muscle memory. It will be harder to adopt real CG specs later.
Try to watch some YouTube videos from Bradford Werner or Classical Guitar Shed for your hands positions. It will help you great.

Don't miss your daily practice! Happy playing. :guitare:

Cheers,
Ken

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

Linda Kimbrel

Post by Linda Kimbrel » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:01 pm

Ken Kim wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:44 pm
Linda Kimbrel wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:42 am
Hi, Linda.

Great job! Both sound and tempo are good to me. You look quite familiar with accoustic guitar. Your left hand tells me that.
It would be much better to have cheap CG instead of AG because nut width and flat fingerboard will make difference on your muscle memory. It will be harder to adopt real CG specs later.
Try to watch some YouTube videos from Bradford Werner or Classical Guitar Shed for your hands positions. It will help you great.

Don't miss your daily practice! Happy playing. :guitare:

Cheers,
Thank you, Ken. Yes, I have a little concern about muscle memory causing me trouble, but I do not think it will be insurmountable. I’m keeping an eye out for a good used classical guitar, but I find even cheat CGs are not cheap!

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”