D02 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Ken Kim
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Ken Kim » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:55 pm

Linda Kimbrel wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:01 pm
Ken Kim wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:44 pm
Linda Kimbrel wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:42 am
Hi, Linda.

Great job! Both sound and tempo are good to me. You look quite familiar with accoustic guitar. Your left hand tells me that.
It would be much better to have cheap CG instead of AG because nut width and flat fingerboard will make difference on your muscle memory. It will be harder to adopt real CG specs later.
Try to watch some YouTube videos from Bradford Werner or Classical Guitar Shed for your hands positions. It will help you great.

Don't miss your daily practice! Happy playing. :guitare:

Cheers,
Thank you, Ken. Yes, I have a little concern about muscle memory causing me trouble, but I do not think it will be insurmountable. I’m keeping an eye out for a good used classical guitar, but I find even cheat CGs are not cheap!
Hi, Linda.
Try facebook marketplace. It is the place people sell used stuffs. I even see $45 Yamaha C40II around me. You can try to negotiate even cheaper. I purchased zoom h4n whole kit(stand, case, cable, windcover) for $120 from facebook marketplace. It was pretty good deal for me. Believe me there are so many cheap used classical guitar out there...

Cheers,
Ken

Sore Fingers & Mind in heaven
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Robert England Hauser SP/F.Maple
Cordoba C12 SP* Rodriguez CD*Torres SP
Hill New World Player CD 615mm
Ryoji Matsuoka M60 SP '84
La Patrie Presentation CD
Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

Nelson Lee

D02 Classical guitar lesson 01 (Nelson Lee)

Post by Nelson Lee » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:46 pm

Hi Everyone. The following videos are my D02-01 Lesson pieces with the following focus after feedback:

1. Right hand fingering at 45 degrees to guitar strings. Pluck string with left corner of finger and letting string ride along nail edge.
2. Dampen Bass Notes.
3. Slow Tempo Down.

Please feel free to give me feedback. Thanks to Robert, Closet Guitar, Judy, Ken, Andre, and Tom , for the comments/support. Nelson.

Danes D'Avila

Oh! Susanna

Polyphony

Nelson Lee

Post by Nelson Lee » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:07 am

Linda Kimbrel wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:42 am
Okay classmates, I’m playing catch-up here. After a month of muddling and fiddling, I have cobbled together a recording setup. Many attempts later I’ve come to the conclusion that my home WiFi connection is too anemic, my uploads invariably failed to complete. After more trial and error I............
Dear Linda,
Nice recording. Your songs are well practiced and you look comfortable playing them. I noticed you are playing with an acoustic guitar with right and left hand acoustic techniques. As Ken suggests, you might consider classical techniques, since they will serve you better as you progress in the lessons. I'm not sure how the Classical guitar techniques will take on an acoustic guitar though. Regardless, check out the websites that Ken recommended. They're pretty awesome. Regards, Nelson.

Ken Kim

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 01 (Nelson Lee)

Post by Ken Kim » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:43 am

Nelson Lee wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:46 pm
Hi Everyone. The following videos are my D02-01 Lesson pieces with the following focus after feedback:

1. Right hand fingering at 45 degrees to guitar strings. Pluck string with left corner of finger and letting string ride along nail edge.
2. Dampen Bass Notes.
3. Slow Tempo Down.

Please feel free to give me feedback. Thanks to Robert, Closet Guitar, Judy, Ken, Andre, and Tom , for the comments/support. Nelson.

Danes D'Avila
Oh! Susanna
Polyphony
Hi, Nelson.

Nicely done. Better legato and tone from finger i-m. It sounds still little brittle to me. Why don't you try to change mic position to your left side around 1'-2' away from middle of fretboard. Put mic 2"-3" higher than soundhole towards 12 th fret.

Your syncopations on oh! Susanna was bit shy. Why don't you stroke it simultaneously, louder or stronger than other notes. That's what I did second time. You'll get better control for syncopations with louder strokes.

Great job and don't miss your daily practice!
Happy playing! :guitare:

Cheers,
Ken

Sore Fingers & Mind in heaven
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Robert England Hauser SP/F.Maple
Cordoba C12 SP* Rodriguez CD*Torres SP
Hill New World Player CD 615mm
Ryoji Matsuoka M60 SP '84
La Patrie Presentation CD
Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

Tom Wimsatt

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 01 (Nelson Lee)

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:46 pm

Nelson Lee wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:46 pm

2. Dampen Bass Notes.
3. Slow Tempo Down.

Please feel free to give me feedback. Thanks to Robert, Closet Guitar, Judy, Ken, Andre, and Tom , for the comments/support.
Hi Nelson. I can hear a great improvement overall. You've been working on RH fingering and it shows. I agree with the "brittle" sound comment made by Ken Kim. Personally, I would try to focus on working the brittle sound and not change hand positions relative to the sound hole.
1989 Takamine C132S
Yamaha CG-100A

Linda Kimbrel

Post by Linda Kimbrel » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:38 pm

Dear Linda,
Nice recording. Your songs are well practiced and you look comfortable playing them. I noticed you are playing with an acoustic guitar with right and left hand acoustic techniques. As Ken suggests, you might consider classical techniques, since they will serve you better as you progress in the lessons. I'm not sure how the Classical guitar techniques will take on an acoustic guitar though. Regardless, check out the websites that Ken recommended. They're pretty awesome. Regards, Nelson.
Thank you both for your comments. I’m not sure, though, what is meant by “classical” vs “acoustical” techniques. I do come from an acoustical/electric background but I did not realize the different instruments and styles each have different techniques in playing them. Could you be more specific regarding where I am using an acoustical technique that could be better served with a classical one, and where the difference lies? Is this something that would be addressed in any of the videos or resources recommended previously?

I will also see what I can find available in actual CG guitars on e - b a y, thank you for mentioning that alternative. I have already scoured the only music retailers within a hundred miles of my rural location, and found very few classical guitars available. I admit I am quite nervous about the e - b a y approach, I can’t imagine buying any instrument that I have not first had the opportunity to hold and play, to evaluate the sound and tone. 😳 But I do agree that using a classical guitar while I am studying the basics would be of more benefit than using my acoustic guitar, regardless of the sound quality.

Linda

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”