D04 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D04 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:21 pm

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D04.

We are going to talk about the minimum time you need to devote to the study of the guitar, about the position for holding the guitar, and finally about some techniques, exercises and pieces.

Timetable for the fourth year student:
In order to progress, you need a little time each day for 6 days of the week. Here is the minimum necessary for players of this level :
3 days when you can devote 20 minutes to repeating each difficult passage 9 to 16 times. I'll indicate these difficult passages to you by putting a box (a rectangular border) around them.
and
3 days when you can devote 50 minutes to studying the guitar, made up of
- 20 minutes practicing the difficult (boxed) passages,
- 15 minutes repeating the individual phrases several times in succession (3 to 6 times)
- and finally 15 minutes playing the piece or pieces in full.

Note that you must play for 6 days of the week. If you combine all this time into one day, that is to say, 3 hours 30 minutes in a single day, you will not make progress and furthermore you will risk injuring yourself by making demands on certain muscles for too long. Divide up your practice and play a little each day.

Spend most of your practice time on the parts you have trouble playing: difficult passages, difficult phrases. Only play pieces the whole way through once or twice a week.
So we understand one another properly, here is an example of a timetable where sessions alternate between 15 and 40 minutes:
Monday 50 minutes
Tuesday 20 minutes
Wednesday 50 minutes
Thursday 20 minutes
Friday 50 minutes
Saturday 20 minutes

The position for the classical guitar is the product of past experience. The classical position enables us to reduce effort to a minimum, and has arisen from a compromise between the needs for stability, comfort and the efficient use of both hands.

The principles of this position are:
sitting position, back straight, shoulders level,
the guitar rests on whichever thigh is on the neck side.
We raise the head of the guitar level with our head, with the aid of a footstool or of a support placed on the thigh.
The hand which plays the strings is placed over the sound hole, the elbow rests on the edge of the body of the guitar, level with the bridge.
The arm on the neck side is bent to bring the hand up to the height of the shoulder, the thumb is placed behind the neck, beneath the second fret and behind the third string, the fingers are over the strings.
Try to achieve relaxation, from the shoulders right down to the hands.
Finally, choose a chair of a height that allows your thigh to be horizontal, so that your guitar will be supported in a
stable manner. If your thigh is angled in one direction or the other, your guitar will slip and interfere with your playing.

Let us start with a little exercise to warm up the hands:
bend the fingers several times from the first (large) joint
bend them at the middle joint
bend at the middle joint until the fingertips touch the palm, then (maintaining contact with the palm) draw the fingertips as far up as possible before stretching the fingers out again.
Slide the thumb along the length of each of the four fingers in turn
Slide each of the four fingers in turn along the thumb.

Next we will look at, or revise, pages 26 and 58 of volume D01
- page 26 of volume D01 : Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) POLYPHONIE - Apoyando
- page 58 of volume D01 : Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) BUTÉ - APOYANDO - REST STROKE - APOYANDO
These exercises will work upon the technique of simultaneous rest strokes (apoyando) with the thumb and index finger, and also with the thumb and middle finger.
The rest stroke is a way to play the string with a finger movement which plucks the string and then continues to move until it comes to rest on the adjacent string. Working on this technique will allow you to discover the best position for your plucking hand (the right hand if you are right-handed).
If you are already used to plucking the strings with free strokes, the simultaneous rest strokes with the thumb and a finger will seem difficult to you, even impossible. But be assured, with patience and perseverence, this difficulty will be resolved in 30 minutes. I know from experience that the first tries are truly discouraging, particularly for adults. It is for this reason that I wish to reassure you in advance, take heart, you will be able to do it.

Let us now look at some exercises from volume D04.
- Page 126 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) STRING DAMPING
These techniques are essential in polyphonic playing. Guitar playing is unique in that we must stop the resonances, in particular those of the open strings. Without these string damping techniques, polyphony is blurred by dissonance.

Finally, we'll look at 4 pieces, pages 65, 87, 91 and 102.

- page 65 Giuliani, Mauro Allegro opus 50 n°13
In these arpeggios, be careful to maintain the stability of your right hand. The right-hand fingering is typical of arpeggios in that the "a" finger plays the first string, the "m" finger plays the second, the "i" finger plays the third, and the thumb plays the 3 bass strings. In this piece, the melody is in the bass.

- page 87 Tárrega, Francisco Preludio
Shape the rising and falling passages by using crescendo and decrescendo.

- page 91 Tárrega, Francisco Estudio ostinato, en la mayor
To bring out the two voices in this little piece, play legato for the melody in the bass, and staccato for the repeated phrase (ostinato) in semiquavers (16th notes).

- page 102 Foret, Stéphanie Bretonneuse
Bars 17, 18, 21 and 22: the small quavers (8th notes) with a line through them are acciaccaturas http://www.dolmetsch.com/musictheory23.htm#grace . Here the acciaccaturas are played by sliding rapidly with the finger indicated from the small note to the normal-sized note. The line linking the two notes represents this slide.
You will see that each phrase consists of a total of 8 measures. The bass line is made up of two notes: A (the dominant) and D (the tonic). Bretonneuse is in the Dorian mode. Vary the tone used so that you never play two phrases in succession with the same tone.

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and pieces for one week and then to post your recordings on the forum for:
- page 58 (D01) : Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) BUTÉ - APOYANDO - REST STROKE - APOYANDO
- page 126 (D04) Delcamp, Jean-François Terminer - Fermare - Damp – Apagar
- page 91 (D04) Tárrega, Francisco Estudio ostinato, en la mayor
- page 102 (D04) Foret, Stéphanie Bretonneuse

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

BUTÉ - APOYANDO - REST STROKE - APOYANDO
Terminer - Fermare - Damp – Apagar
Estudio ostinato, en la mayor
Bretonneuse

Robert Goodwin
Bretonneuse

David Florea
Bretonneuse

John Ellis
Bretonneuse
:( + ♫ = :)

Salvatore Lovinello
Student of the online lessons

Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Salvatore Lovinello » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:43 pm

I have reqested to join the O20 user group. Until I am confirmed I can't download the D04 Text book.

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:07 pm

Salvatore Lovinello wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:43 pm
I have reqested to join the O20 user group. Until I am confirmed I can't download the D04 Text book.
Have you done that from your user control panel?
Might take a few days to come through.

Salvatore Lovinello

Post by Salvatore Lovinello » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:35 pm

Hello Colin,
Have you done that from your user control panel?
Might take a few days to come through.
Yes I did, Colin. I'm chomping at the bit until my permissions are granted.

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:41 pm

Hi All,
Looking forward to a productive year and hoping to hear soon from my fellow D04 classmates.

Best regards,
Bob G.

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:11 pm

Hi all,

This post is meant to accomplish several things.

First:
I want to use my android to record but I am using my desktop to trim the ends and maybe add video titles when I actually submit exam qualifiers. Turns out my initial recording was upsidedown. Fortunately the video editor was able to turn it over. Learning to use it was another thing I wanted to do. I also want to make sure I can post my videos here. In reviewing this first one, I see that I will need better lighting. Sorry :(

second; Ostinato

The truth is, I gave up the lessons five years ago because I simply couldn't make the stretch in bar 5. I was playing a standard 650mm scale guitar but even switching to a smaller, Cordoba Cadet, I still couldn't do it. Health reasons and time limits were the excuses to cover for my small, stiff, aging hands. Now I have a Cordoba C1-1/2 and I am back :D Still, bar 5 seems to be the ultimate challenge. At this point the best I can hold sustain with my (1) finger while playing the rest is seen in this little video. I know my wrist is bent and that is generally a no-no but it is the only way I found to do this at all. I suspect that my (1) finger will get stronger in time with more barring practice. I welcome comments and suggestions.

Best regards,
Bob G.

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:48 am

Hi all,
I hate this piece and it hates me but it is required to stay current. It calls for spreading the left hand fingers in ways my 76 yo fingers don't spread. Nevertheless, here is a submission for the end of first week.

These videos are priceless for seeing what I am doing wrong. My right hand has way too much motion and is too far up from the saddle. This guitar is fairly new for me being a much smaller scale guitar and I have never before recorded with it so I'm seeing all this for the first time. The right hand I can work on but I am done with Ostinato. As always, I welcome comments and suggestions.

Best regards,
Bob G.

Salvatore Lovinello

Post by Salvatore Lovinello » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:00 pm

Hi Bob,
The second video is much better. Please refrain from inserting the useless 20 second introduction.

Wow it looks like you have memorized the song. Way to go! Your left hand needs an anchor point. The Maestro barres with his fretting hand. An anchor would help with the fret geography, increase your speed, and more importantly increase your accuracy. At the end of last year, D03 Maestro Delcamp gave us a barre excersize. viewtopic.php?f=118&t=119754 I have used this as my daily warmup all summer. It has helped.

I suggest using a metronome using the slowest tempo that you can play with the fewest flaws. Increase speed as you become more proficient. If you start by learning mistakes then reinforcing those mistakes with practice you're going to have a real mess on your hands.

I can tell you from expirience that there no shortcuts when to learning to play the guitar. Without a good foundation that was reinforced with measured daily practice I never would have gotten beyond a rank beginer level of play. I can't stress how important scales are to your daily routine. A Delcamper assembled a very good scales primer called "Segovia Scales. A Pattern Approach" that I have also incorporated into my daily warmup routine.

You say that you have been away from this forum for a few years. You may find stepping down a level or two helpful in reinforcing basic techniques that you will need to progress.

All the best,

Sal

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:00 am

Salvatore Lovinello wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:00 pm
Hi Bob,
The second video is much better. Please refrain from inserting the useless 20 second introduction.

Wow it looks like you have memorized the song. Way to go! Your left hand needs an anchor point. The Maestro barres with his fretting hand. An anchor would help with the fret geography, increase your speed, and more importantly increase your accuracy. At the end of last year, D03 Maestro Delcamp gave us a barre excersize. viewtopic.php?f=118&t=119754 I have used this as my daily warmup all summer. It has helped.

I suggest using a metronome using the slowest tempo that you can play with the fewest flaws. Increase speed as you become more proficient. If you start by learning mistakes then reinforcing those mistakes with practice you're going to have a real mess on your hands.

I can tell you from expirience that there no shortcuts when to learning to play the guitar. Without a good foundation that was reinforced with measured daily practice I never would have gotten beyond a rank beginer level of play. I can't stress how important scales are to your daily routine. A Delcamper assembled a very good scales primer called "Segovia Scales. A Pattern Approach" that I have also incorporated into my daily warmup routine.

You say that you have been away from this forum for a few years. You may find stepping down a level or two helpful in reinforcing basic techniques that you will need to progress.

All the best,

Sal
Hi Sal
Thank you for your comments and suggestions. It's not clear to me what you mean by an 'anchor point'. If you are referring to thumb placement of the left hand, I try to remain aware at all times of thumb placement and never start playing until I have satisfied myself that my thumb is properly placed to begin. I did use a barre in bars 1 and 2. The rest of the score did not seem to lend itself to using a barre. Perhaps I missed a point where a barre was appropriate?

I do think the Maestro's warning about delving too heavily into barre practice certainly applies for me. It will take time to rebuild some strength in that (1) finger but I expect it can come with use over time. This is just something that can't be rushed. Still, I feel it's not so much a function of what scores are being played as sheer usage over time.

I agree wholeheartedly that learning a new score must be done slowly enough so as not to introduce errors in timing or notes. Once that is understood, the only errors to be expected are problems with dexterity, coordination and accuracy of movement of both hands. These things will always vary from one person to another. It also varies with familiarity and its true that my layoff and changing to a much smaller guitar have also had a negative effect on familiarity. Still i don't think this has as much to do with choice of scores as with getting back into a groove which daily practice should resolve over time.

One thing I noticed from reviewing my video; my right hand movement is partially from the flexing of muscles in the forearm. Flexing causes the forearm to lift slightly. I am still trying to work out the right-hand shape.

I am going to continue in D04 for now. Hopefully, regular practice will smooth out some of the bumps.

Best regards,
Bob G.

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:04 am

Hello D04 students, glad to see some new fingers as well as familiar ones.
I'll be catching up on your videos over next few days and will update the tracker list where we list student submissions that have been reviewed and qualify for the exam requirements.
Hope you will all enjoy this year’s study sessions.

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:34 am

I was determined to get this up today since it is past the end of week one but my cell phone battery ran down before I could get anything better.

Here it is, warts and all; Bretonnuese. Comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Best regards,
Bob G.

David Florea

Post by David Florea » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:51 pm

David Florea

Post by David Florea » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:58 pm

David Florea

Post by David Florea » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:02 pm

Ostinato an Bretonnuese are forth coming. Again I'm struggling with technology!

JohnEllis

Post by JohnEllis » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:37 pm

Hello fellow D04 students,
My Lesson 1 submissions.
Keep up the good work.
Cheers,
John

If music be the food of love, play on. --Shakespeare, Twelfth Night, 1.1

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”