D04 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Robert Goodwin
Student of the online lessons

Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Robert Goodwin » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:42 am

For the sake of full disclosure, I will say up front that this video is edited. To be specific, there were long pauses between excersizes due to the fact that my screen was some 6 feet away and I had trouble reading the next excersize. Only the silent pauses have been cut out. Please let me know if there is a problem with doing it this way. I would not piece together my playing to get a clean recording.

I welcome comments and suggestions.
Best regards,
Bob G.

David Florea

Post by David Florea » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:47 pm

Wow, very good John! Ostinato smooth , on time . Bretonnues. on time and notes correct.

David Florea

Post by David Florea » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:47 pm

Wow, very good John! Ostinato smooth , on time . Bretonnues. on time and notes correct.

JohnEllis

Post by JohnEllis » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:39 pm

Thanks David. The Ostinato took me quite some time. The Bretonneuse I had worked on previously, but it's still difficult for me because it's very cramped.
If music be the food of love, play on. --Shakespeare, Twelfth Night, 1.1

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:40 am

John and David, Very nicely done :bravo:

Did you try out any of the other pieces? The Tarrega is awsome. Sort of a cookie for working through those stretches in ostinato and the cramped space of bretonneuse. I may try to do cleaner recordings of the two required pieces but for now I can't get enough of Preludio.

Best regards,
Bob G.

JohnEllis

Post by JohnEllis » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:08 am

Thanks, Bob.
I like the Preludio pentatonica very much too. I haven't worked at it yet as I was focused on the tasks at hand, but I did play through it a couple of times. Feel free to post a recording of your Preludio. All the pieces played at the Lesson intro are fair play, but only the listed ones count for the requirement.
About the Ostinato, have you tried playing it with a capo to try to find a fingerboard position that is within reach for your fingers, say 5th fret or so?
John

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:29 am

Hi all,

Over the course of the month I've played around with Preludio but in the last two days I've concentrated on it and felt I could record something even if it is not polished. There are a couple pauses where my fingers needed a correction before continuing. I think that with a few weeks practice I could do this one smoothly.

I've learned (or actually relearned) one of the biggest problems I had back in the past and am fighting again now. Watching john's and David's videos their hands are very relaxed. I find I am trying so hard that my hands tense up. The harder I try, my right hand presses closer and closer to the strings causing that pop-up motion as I pluck. I have to force myself to relax if that makes any sense.

As always, comments and suggestions are always welcome.
Best regards,
Bob G.

JohnEllis

Post by JohnEllis » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:07 am

Good effort, Bob. Nicely played. I think it would make a good daily warm-up exercise for the LH.
John

David Florea

Post by David Florea » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:15 pm

David Florea wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:02 pm
Ostinato an Bretonnuese are forth coming. Again I'm struggling with technology!

David Florea

Post by David Florea » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:16 pm

JohnEllis

Post by JohnEllis » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:41 pm

Good job, David.
Good rhythm in Bretonnueuse. The beginning could be slower as they are half notes. In Ostinato you were able to hold the longer duration notes while playing the quicker notes.
John

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:02 pm

Robert Goodwin wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:42 am
For the sake of full disclosure, I will say up front that this video is edited. To be specific, there were long pauses between excersizes due to the fact that my screen was some 6 feet away and I had trouble reading the next excersize. Only the silent pauses have been cut out.
Not a problem for these exercises as long as you are only cutting out silences, but would be for exam.
I think for pieces you should leave any silence in so as to give a good idea where you are at

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:59 pm

JohnEllis wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:07 am
Good effort, Bob. Nicely played. I think it would make a good daily warm-up exercise for the LH.
John
Not just the left hand but the right as well. It calls for many transversals, both up and down across the strings while maintaining alternation of i-m. And when played properly it is a lilting and completely lovely piece of music :casque:
Best regards,
Bob G.

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:35 am

Oops, I almost forgot to do the reststroke excersizes. Here rthey are.

Best regards,
Bob G.

JohnEllis

Post by JohnEllis » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:49 pm

Good work, Bob.
You were able to alternate your fingers consistently and achieve the rest stoke.
J.

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”