D05 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Andrei Puhach
Student of the online lessons

Re: D05 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Andrei Puhach » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:55 pm

Colin Bullock wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:36 pm
Andrei Puhach wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:14 am
The only issue is that my Cordoba C9 has a truss rod and thus it might be hard to get the neck perfectly straight.
Andrei
You don't want to do this. A well set up guitar has what is known as neck relief, in other words it bows forwards allowing for the largest excursion of the strings nr centre. A truly straight neck will buzz.
PM me if you want more info.

Welcome back by the way, good to see the team back again.
Thanks, Colin, for the warning. Right, it makes sense... Ok, when my toolset arrives I'll PM you. Thanks again!
Cordoba C9

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:50 am

Lesson 1 has been up for just over a week now, so I guess its time to think about recording and posting before too long.

Is anyone else finding the exercises on page 105 a bit of a challenge? It's hard enough keeping in time withe the metronome. Then we have to introduce crescendos and diminuendos. Also, no demonstration from JF on these, so we're on our own!
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Barnes and Mullins classical
Yamaha silent guitar

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:36 pm

DaveMoutrie wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:50 am
Lesson 1 has been up for just over a week now, so I guess its time to think about recording and posting before too long.
LOL, I have only just started the first few bars of page 21, but don’t let me stop you :lol:

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:04 am

Colin Bullock wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:36 pm
DaveMoutrie wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:50 am
LOL, I have only just started the first few bars of page 21, but don’t let me stop you :lol:
Ah, the Chilesotti - I seem to remember Marko posting an excellent version of that a couple of years ago, well worth a look. I think the trick with this piece is to play it very legato and get the melody to stand out.

I recorded this piece last year when I attempted D05. The last few bars are really the difficult bit, so need the most amount of time spent on them to get them right.

Having floundered on the Differances in month 2 last year, I've spent quite a bit of time practicing that over the last few weeks.

Good luck and I hope we can all get somewhere close to Marko's standard with the Chilesotti. :)
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:12 pm

I have a very hard time moving the pinky (4) from the E in measure 21 to the G in measure 22. It seems my pinky a bit short to comfortably reach the G. By the way, I find using the middle finger (2) as an anchor point during the transitions from 21-22 help a little bit.

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:52 am

Chu Bun wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:12 pm
I have a very hard time moving the pinky (4) from the E in measure 21 to the G in measure 22. It seems my pinky a bit short to comfortably reach the G. By the way, I find using the middle finger (2) as an anchor point during the transitions from 21-22 help a little bit.
Hi Chu,

Hope your fingers are starting to toughen up after your break from guitar playing.

I found that releasing the baree at the end of bar 21 enabled me to rotate my left hand slightly and reach the G. It's not an easy move though and does take some practice. This is one of those pieces where 90% of your practice time has to be spent on 10% of the piece.

Good luck and keep at it. :D
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Jeffrey Chan

Post by Jeffrey Chan » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:17 pm

Hi Everybody, great to see you on the D05 course...

I almost completed it last year, was 1 piece short of completing. It would be fun to complete it this year.
2006 Hill Signature Double Top Standup #2469

PREVIOUS
2015 Hippner Torres Cedar #813
2002 Dunn Double Top Cedar #12
Anonymous Cedar
Takamine EG128SC
2007 Redman Spruce, Zebrawood
2008 Loriente Marieta, Spruce
1993 Esteve 1GR9C Cedar
Yamaha CG101, Spruce

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:43 am

Jeffrey Chan wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:17 pm
Hi Everybody, great to see you on the D05 course...

I almost completed it last year, was 1 piece short of completing. It would be fun to complete it this year.
Hi Jeffrey,

Welcome to D05, or perhaps I should say welcome back to D05. I look forward to studying with you this year. :D
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:42 pm

Is anyone else having problems getting the Romance to sound perfectly legato while maintaining accurate chord changes?

Here is my best effort so far.....

Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:52 am

DaveMoutrie wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:42 pm
Is anyone else having problems getting the Romance to sound perfectly legato while maintaining accurate chord changes?

Congrats, Dave!!
That was pretty good! To maintain accurate legato one should change positions really fast :)
Cordoba C9

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:32 am

Andrei Puhach wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:52 am
DaveMoutrie wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:42 pm

Congrats, Dave!!
That was pretty good! To maintain accurate legato one should change positions really fast :)
Thank you for your comment Andrei.

That seems like good advice ...... do the chord changes quicker. The alternative I guess would be to play the piece slower so that the position changes appear quicker. :wink:
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:27 am

My best effort for the piece Anonyme - Vaghe Bellezze e Bionde Trecce D'Oro Vedi Che Per Ti Moro.

I find it very hard to make smooth transition from one chord to the next. I made dead notes and hesitations all over the place.

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:54 pm

Chu Bun wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:27 am
My best effort for the piece Anonyme - Vaghe Bellezze e Bionde Trecce D'Oro Vedi Che Per Ti Moro.

I find it very hard to make smooth transition from one chord to the next. I made dead notes and hesitations all over the place.
Excellent playing Chu, especially considering the fact that you did not practice much over the summer. You have certainly mastered those last few difficult bars that everyone struggles with. I trust your fingers are now starting to toughen up a bit.

Perhaps I could offer a few thoughts on how this piece could be improved: The first chord you play, the trebbles sound much weaker than the bases. You need to accelerate your hand as you strum the chord as JF suggests in order to make the trebbles (melody) sound louder than the accompanying notes.

It looks as if you have memorized the piece which is a good start to playing more legato. I think you also need to anticipate what you will be playing a little more in advance. For example in the second chord of the piece you should already be thinking about the third chord and your little finger should be starting to move into position ready to play it while also lifting the first finger which is no longer needed in the second chord.

All in all though an excellent start to D05. Well done!

:bravo:
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:17 pm

Dave,

Thank you for the pointers.
I did memorize the piece to cut down the errors. I don't sight read very well beyond the 5th fred and kept on misfredding the notes. I believe my hesitations were also more about worrying about misfreding the notes than lack of anticipation for the next chord. Not sure what the problem is but my playing is always bass heavy, even for regular picking of a chord, my bass notes will be much louder than my treble notes.

Regarding the Romance piece, I found that when transitioning to a new chord, we only need to fred the top and bottom note at first (main melody and base), then find the accompanying notes later. It may not make a big difference, but helps to easy the transition a little bit for me.

Not sure if this is a muscle strength problem or something is wrong with my hand, but my fingers get tired pretty fast and near the end of a long piece, I often feel great pain when holding barres. Sometimes the knuckles just lock up and it is impossible to fret the next chord. Anybody experiences something similar?

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:23 am

Chu Bun wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:17 pm

Not sure if this is a muscle strength problem or something is wrong with my hand, but my fingers get tired pretty fast and near the end of a long piece, I often feel great pain when holding barres. Sometimes the knuckles just lock up and it is impossible to fret the next chord. Anybody experiences something similar?
Yes, I have definitely experienced something similar to this. As guitarists we demand a great deal from the muscles and tendons in our fingers and forearms.

In a sense we are athletes in minature. It takes time to build up the strength and endurance that we need to play the guitar for the long periods of time that our fingers must endure. Just like marathon runners, if we try to do too much too quickly then we will suffer strained muscles and tendons, and it takes time to recover from this.

I guess the trick is not to do too much too quickly. Little and often is the key, then gradually increase the amount of practice time. The training effect will kick in and you will become a stronger player.

Given that you have had some time away from the guitar, it is hardly surprising that on starting the challenge of D05 you now have a few aches and pains. When you feel pain, you just have to put the guitar to one side for a while and come back to it later.

You have made an excellent start to D05, stick with it and I'm sure everything will work out.

:D
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”