D05 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
DaveMoutrie
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 341
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:47 pm
Location: Southwell, Notts, UK

Re: D05 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by DaveMoutrie » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:28 am

Just been having a flick round the other forums to see what their activity levels are like - here is a summary

posts on forums

French forum: 138 posts

spanish forum 37 posts

Italian forum 16 posts

English forum 31 posts

As you can see the frech forum is the most active.

I have signed up with the french forum but not as a student. I intend to stick with the english forum but drop in and interact with the french forum now and then. How about you guys?
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Barnes and Mullins classical
Yamaha silent guitar

User avatar
Chu Bun
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 358
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:15 pm
Location: Houston, TX, USA

Re: D05 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Chu Bun » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:54 am

DaveMoutrie wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:23 am
... The training effect will kick in and you will become a stronger player...
Hopefully that will be the case!

User avatar
Chu Bun
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 358
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:15 pm
Location: Houston, TX, USA

Re: D05 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Chu Bun » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:01 am

My submission for the Anonyme - Melodia de Sor. I had to skip the repeats otherwise my hand would be too tired in the second part.


JohnEllis
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 83
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 10:05 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: D05 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by JohnEllis » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:15 am

Chu Bun wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:27 am
My best effort for the piece Anonyme - Vaghe Bellezze e Bionde Trecce D'Oro Vedi Che Per Ti Moro.
Chu,
I like very much how you played the Vaghe Bellezze piece. And it seems that you have Sor's melody under the fingers.
John
If music be the food of love, play on. --Shakespeare, Twelfth Night, 1.1

DaveMoutrie
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 341
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:47 pm
Location: Southwell, Notts, UK

Re: D05 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by DaveMoutrie » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:37 am

Chu Bun wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:01 am
My submission for the Anonyme - Melodia de Sor. I had to skip the repeats otherwise my hand would be too tired in the second part.

Very nice playing Chu, this is not an easy piece to play well.

You have the difficult position changes cracked and the rallantandos at the end of part A and B work well.

The only mistake I could hear was in the A part where in the slide where you play the base note at the start of the slide - its not supposed to come in till the top of the slide.

Also it could do with a few more dynamics and some phrasing, but I'm being really picky now!

Good job - very well played.

:bravo:
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Barnes and Mullins classical
Yamaha silent guitar

Andrei Puhach
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 458
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:34 pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: D05 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Andrei Puhach » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:22 am

Chu Bun wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:17 pm
Dave,

Thank you for the pointers.
I did memorize the piece to cut down the errors. I don't sight read very well beyond the 5th fred and kept on misfredding the notes. I believe my hesitations were also more about worrying about misfreding the notes than lack of anticipation for the next chord. Not sure what the problem is but my playing is always bass heavy, even for regular picking of a chord, my bass notes will be much louder than my treble notes.
Sounds very good, but the recording is way too quiet... I noticed you use new recording equipment, it is much better than in D04, but not loud enough (I guess this is easy to fix).
Chu Bun wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:17 pm

Regarding the Romance piece, I found that when transitioning to a new chord, we only need to fred the top and bottom note at first (main melody and base), then find the accompanying notes later. It may not make a big difference, but helps to easy the transition a little bit for me.

Not sure if this is a muscle strength problem or something is wrong with my hand, but my fingers get tired pretty fast and near the end of a long piece, I often feel great pain when holding barres. Sometimes the knuckles just lock up and it is impossible to fret the next chord. Anybody experiences something similar?
Yeah, some fatigue accumulates, especially after many tries. Feeling great pain does not sound good... Make sure not to injure yourself, especially after a summer break without a guitar.
Cordoba C9

Andrei Puhach
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 458
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:34 pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: D05 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Andrei Puhach » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:44 am

Chu Bun wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:01 am
My submission for the Anonyme - Melodia de Sor. I had to skip the repeats otherwise my hand would be too tired in the second part.

Congrats! All difficult transitions are clean. Also, you play the recommended way using the rest stroke for the melody.
Cordoba C9

Andrei Puhach
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 458
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:34 pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: D05 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Andrei Puhach » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:46 am

- page 92 Anonyme - Melodía de Sor attribué à Fernando Sor


Somehow it appears as if I played the melody using free stroke, but it is the rest stroke throughout. Accompanying notes are free stroke.
A little too fast, need to work with metronome, even if I start slow it gets faster and faster... Very difficult to control that.
Cordoba C9

User avatar
Chu Bun
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 358
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:15 pm
Location: Houston, TX, USA

Re: D05 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Chu Bun » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:46 pm

Andrei,
Excellent rendition as usual. I think it is a very good sign when your rest stroke appears as free stroke. And that is not an easy thing to do. You can see that my whole hand moves when I switch between rest and free strokes which will result in errors or uneven tones when playing at high speed.

Regarding my recording equipment, the camera on my other laptop stops working. This laptob has very sensitive microphone. I have to dial down the recording level. Otherwise the hissing will be unbearable. Unfortunately, this result in very low volume.

Andrei Puhach
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 458
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:34 pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: D05 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Andrei Puhach » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:18 pm

Chu Bun wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:46 pm
Andrei,
Excellent rendition as usual. I think it is a very good sign when your rest stroke appears as free stroke. And that is not an easy thing to do. You can see that my whole hand moves when I switch between rest and free strokes which will result in errors or uneven tones when playing at high speed.

Regarding my recording equipment, the camera on my other laptop stops working. This laptob has very sensitive microphone. I have to dial down the recording level. Otherwise the hissing will be unbearable. Unfortunately, this result in very low volume.
Thank you, Chu! Actually, I learned this technique on Delcamp (D04 I guess) then reinforced it by playing Lagrima this way and then La Catedral (part 1) which has a similar RH pattern. It gives an opportunity to get this rich, thick, creamy tone if the nail is shaped correctly.

I'd buy some standalone recorder like Zoom. Very happy with it, the quality is super good. The only thing is that you'll have to manually join video and audio tracks in some app. So far Shotcut seems to be an ideal choice (free, cross platform, very easy to use).
Last edited by Andrei Puhach on Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cordoba C9

Andrei Puhach
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 458
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:34 pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: D05 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Andrei Puhach » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:57 am

DaveMoutrie wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:42 pm
Is anyone else having problems getting the Romance to sound perfectly legato while maintaining accurate chord changes?

Here is my best effort so far.....

Nice!!! Apparently, you already played this piece before :) Sounds very musical.
Cordoba C9

DaveMoutrie
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 341
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:47 pm
Location: Southwell, Notts, UK

Re: D05 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by DaveMoutrie » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:51 am

Andrei Puhach wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:57 am
DaveMoutrie wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:42 pm
Is anyone else having problems getting the Romance to sound perfectly legato while maintaining accurate chord changes?

Here is my best effort so far.....
Nice!!! Apparently, you already played this piece before :) Sounds very musical.
Thank you for your comments Andrei,

You're right, I had an attempt at D05 last year and played this piece. Also I learned a different version of it as a teeenager

Not that I listen back to it, it sounds a little too fast, there are a couple of mistakes, I think the dynamics could be improved and of course I missed the repeats.
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Barnes and Mullins classical
Yamaha silent guitar

DaveMoutrie
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 341
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:47 pm
Location: Southwell, Notts, UK

Re: D05 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by DaveMoutrie » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:04 am

Andrei Puhach wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:46 am
- page 92 Anonyme - Melodía de Sor attribué à Fernando Sor


Somehow it appears as if I played the melody using free stroke, but it is the rest stroke throughout. Accompanying notes are free stroke.
A little too fast, need to work with metronome, even if I start slow it gets faster and faster... Very difficult to control that.
Very nicely played Andrei - superb accuracy for playing it this fast and it does sound as if you are playing it rest stroke.

I think Narciso Yepes plays this piece at a similar speed to you in the film Jeux Interdits. John Williams plays it at a much slower speed which allows him to bring out the dynamics a little more.

Just a couple of minor points:
You have missed out the slide in bar 5 completely. Also in bars 19 and 20 you are playing a B in the base. This actually sounds good, but it is supposed to be an F sharp - I made the same mistake.

All in all though, an excellent start to D05, Well done! :D
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Barnes and Mullins classical
Yamaha silent guitar

Colin Bullock
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 876
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 5:16 pm
Location: NW London, England

Re: D05 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Colin Bullock » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:05 pm

Chu Bun wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:17 pm
Not sure if this is a muscle strength problem or something is wrong with my hand, but my fingers get tired pretty fast and near the end of a long piece, I often feel great pain when holding barres. Sometimes the knuckles just lock up and it is impossible to fret the next chord. Anybody experiences something similar?
I'm getting some mild pain in my 1st knuckle joint. I think it's the combination of the half barres and the stretch.
I'm going to be a bit slow posting this month!

Andrei Puhach
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 458
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:34 pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: D05 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Andrei Puhach » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:16 pm

DaveMoutrie wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:04 am
Andrei Puhach wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:46 am
- page 92 Anonyme - Melodía de Sor attribué à Fernando Sor
...
Somehow it appears as if I played the melody using free stroke, but it is the rest stroke throughout. Accompanying notes are free stroke.
A little too fast, need to work with metronome, even if I start slow it gets faster and faster... Very difficult to control that.
Very nicely played Andrei - superb accuracy for playing it this fast and it does sound as if you are playing it rest stroke.

I think Narciso Yepes plays this piece at a similar speed to you in the film Jeux Interdits. John Williams plays it at a much slower speed which allows him to bring out the dynamics a little more.

Just a couple of minor points:
You have missed out the slide in bar 5 completely. Also in bars 19 and 20 you are playing a B in the base. This actually sounds good, but it is supposed to be an F sharp - I made the same mistake.

All in all though, an excellent start to D05, Well done! :D
Thx! That slide in bar 5... Sorry, no, I don't like it at all. I've got an internal protest to do it. Does not sound good to me, even if performed well.
Bars 19 and 20: right, the sheet music indicates F sharp... Somehow I forgot about it and played a previously learnt version (it had B in the base but the RH pattern was different).

Thanks for keen observations! :bye:
Cordoba C9

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”