D05 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Chu Bun
Student of the online lessons

Re: D05 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Chu Bun » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:07 am

I hate that slide in bar 5 too. It doesn't fit to anything in the whole piece. I was very familiar with this piece in my teenage years, but now it feels like a new piece! By the way the version I played back then have a transition section between the minor and major parts which sounds really nice. Does anybody know if that section is available somewhere (hopefully it is not copyrighted material)?

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:17 am

Colin Bullock wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:05 pm
Chu Bun wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:17 pm
Not sure if this is a muscle strength problem or something is wrong with my hand, but my fingers get tired pretty fast and near the end of a long piece, I often feel great pain when holding barres. Sometimes the knuckles just lock up and it is impossible to fret the next chord. Anybody experiences something similar?
I'm getting some mild pain in my 1st knuckle joint. I think it's the combination of the half barres and the stretch.
I'm going to be a bit slow posting this month!
To relieve stress in half barres keep the thumb as low as possible on the neck (so that the index finger is almost straight) and the wrist is moved a bit forward. I did not really do that while playing, but I just tried it and it so convenient and relaxed. Maybe I'll record one more version later.
Here is what I mean
Cordoba C9

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:33 pm

Here are my first set of exercises:

Alhambra 4p Cedar
Barnes and Mullins classical
Yamaha silent guitar

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:00 pm

Here is my version of Vaghe bellezze e bionde trecce d'oro vedi che per ti moro.

I'm still not happy with it though - there are a couple of errors, places where my fingers do not alternate, the dynamics could be improved and it could perhaps be a little more legato.

Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:57 pm

DaveMoutrie wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:00 pm
Here is my version of Vaghe bellezze e bionde trecce d'oro vedi che per ti moro.

I'm still not happy with it though - there are a couple of errors, places where my fingers do not alternate, the dynamics could be improved and it could perhaps be a little more legato.

Sounds very good. I'm still learning this piece, have some difficulties :)
Cordoba C9

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:46 pm

Here are my speed exercises. I was concentrating too hard on trying to keep in time with the metronome to bother too much with the nuances.

Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:54 am

Below are my submission for the rest of this month. I did not use a metronome for the speed exercise to the tempo could be all wrong. I still cannot do 45c with any reliability.

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:03 am

- page 21 Anonyme - Vaghe bellezze e bionde trecce d'oro vedi che per ti moro

Tried rolled chords using p, i, m, a, but it was not always successful... Probably should have used the recommended way.
Cordoba C9

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:42 am

Andrei Puhach wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:03 am
- page 21 Anonyme - Vaghe bellezze e bionde trecce d'oro vedi che per ti moro

Tried rolled chords using p, i, m, a, but it was not always successful... Probably should have used the recommended way.
Excellent playing Andrie - you have all the elements there: Nicely accelerated strum to bring out the melody, nice and legoto on the ascending chord sequences and effective vibrato. The rallantando at the end sounds great as well.

:bravo:
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:21 am

Andrei Puhach wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:17 am
To relieve stress in half barres keep the thumb as low as possible on the neck (so that the index finger is almost straight) and the wrist is moved a bit forward. I did not really do that while playing, but I just tried it and it so convenient and relaxed. Maybe I'll record one more version later.
Here is what I mean
Thanks Andrei. I’ll give that a try. Might rest my hand for a day or so as well.

I see what you and Chu mean about the slide in the Sor, not sure it fits, but good exercise so I’ll keep at it.

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:04 am

Tried to improve a bit on rolling chords in Vaghe bellezze. This is still a bit difficult for me to do even arpeggiato with p, i, m, a.
Sorry, some photobombing happened, but it was one of my best takes, so let's keep it there :) It was also a distraction resistance test.

Cordoba C9

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:35 am

Andrei Puhach wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:04 am
Tried to improve a bit on rolling chords in Vaghe bellezze. This is still a bit difficult for me to do even arpeggiato with p, i, m, a.
Sorry, some photobombing happened, but it was one of my best takes, so let's keep it there :) It was also a distraction resistance test.

Very nice smooth playing Andrie, you must have nerves of steel to withstand a distraction test like that.
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:08 am

Andrei Puhach wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:17 am
Here is what I mean
That's helpful Andrei. The final bar you play #27 is the one which is giving me greatest problem; initially I could only hold down by pulling the fingerboard in so the body of the guitar held the pressure - no thumb, now by adjusting thumb as you suggest I am able to hold it for a while. I'm keeping practice short so as not to stress thumb too much and doing the stretches recommended in the lesson. Discomfort is reducing.
Hopefully I'll catch up by end of month!

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:53 am

The rest of the assignment:

- page 126 (D04) Delcamp, Jean-François Terminer - Fermare - Damp – Apagar

- page 158 increasing the number of notes played while keeping a constant tempo (n° 105 and 106 page 158)

Cordoba C9

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”