D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Mazen Yahya
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Mazen Yahya » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:51 pm

Graham Gaya wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:21 pm
Jeffrey Wijnans wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:01 pm
@Mazen: Better late than never! ;)

Good effort! your missing some tempo/speed in the last two pieces but that will come with time and practice. Your sitting position might be something too look at. Right now your right hand is making some ulnar deviation (bend too the side of the pinky) which builds a bit of unnecessary tension and makes you prone to injury. On the other hand I see high level players do this as well so maybe its there anatomy or something I just dont know at this point in time so take that part of the advice with a grain of salt.

Keep up the good work! See you in the next lessons
@Mazen, like the old Michael Jordan commercial, one misses 100% of shots not taken! Being able to submit something is taking a shot so you are well on your way. Jeffery is spot on about the positioning. On an older thread someone had posted this video and it was very helpful for me to understand the why's of proper position hopefully that will help. In terms of practice, the tip shared about practing short pieces e.g. a few measures at a time really helps with note accuracy and tempo. Keep it up, in just the two lessons we've done, i've been amazed at the level of progress so stay on and we can all finish together.

https://youtu.be/fxDoRaRoiUQ
Hi
Yes need more Practice for tempo
This vedio is helpful

Thank you

Mazen Yahya

Post by Mazen Yahya » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:55 pm

Michael McClenney wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:03 pm
Mazen Yahya wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:49 pm
Hi guys
Sorry for late for uploading lesson 2
Hey Mazen,

Nice effort! I searched for your lesson #1 submission and didn't find anything, so if you're jumping in at lesson #2 then :bravo:
I echo the advice suggested so far, and if you have any specific questions feel free to ask.
Hello Michael
I made the practice for lessons 1 but i couldn't uploaded
Thank you for your help

Mazen Yahya

Post by Mazen Yahya » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:58 pm

Robert Goodwin wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:34 pm
Mazen Yahya wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:49 pm
Hi guys
Sorry for late for uploading lesson 2

Hi Mazen,
First off, well done :bravo:

I noticed in La Tete Bizard that you had a tendency to sweep your thumb under your palm when stroking. That could make it awkward for the ima strokes. I only noticed this because I am struggling with RH issues myself.
Best regards,
Bob G.
Hi robert
Yes you right will try to fix it thanks for your advise

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:58 am

Re-working my RH fingers. I still slip and revert from time to time, but alternating is becoming more automatic the more I do it. It was really tough there for a while.

Team Flesh

Jeffrey Wijnans

Post by Jeffrey Wijnans » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:24 pm

Christopher Langley wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:58 am
Re-working my RH fingers. I still slip and revert from time to time, but alternating is becoming more automatic the more I do it. It was really tough there for a while.
Very, very good performance Chrisopher!

:bravo:

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:51 pm

I am going to comment primarily on Exercise-20 only which is meant for both Mazen and Chris-

Mazen:
The count should be 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &, then you switch to the B-string (repeat) and then switch to the E-string (repeat).

Chris:
I think you did a splendid job on it but I believe it is technically more challenging and interesting to concatenate each of the 3 pieces together. I did note that you incorporated the 1/4 and 1/8-notes on the C-scale perfectly.

A very good effort by each of you.
James
1972 Morris No 12
1972 Ryoji Matsuoka, NO 18
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka, NO. 20
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Martin Guitars (D28, MC28, D12-28, J40)
National Resonator Guitar
Les Paul 1960 reissue

Jono Diel

Post by Jono Diel » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:11 am

The exercises are intense! My right hand fingers are very confused. Currently stuck on 18 c) :shock:

Jono Diel

Post by Jono Diel » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:07 am

My first submission on Lesson 2. The C Maj scale. Hopefully my technique wasn't too bad. Although my left thumb was trying to peek out. :contrat:

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:32 am

Jono Diel wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:07 am
My first submission on Lesson 2. The C Maj scale. Hopefully my technique wasn't too bad. Although my left thumb was trying to peek out. :contrat:
i would say mission accomplished. :bravo:

Bill
1959 Sakazo Nakade
1962 Mitsuru Tamura
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka No 40
2010 Hiroshi Komori No 35

Jono Diel

Post by Jono Diel » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:51 pm

Here is exercise #20, fellow classmates.

For the song La Tête Bizarde, on bars 3and 11; I'm confused as to which strings to dampen. Also the dotted lines on bars 23-24, is this for vibrato? Thanks a lot peers!

William Byrd wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:32 am
Jono Diel wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:07 am
i would say mission accomplished. :bravo:

Bill
Thanks much Bill! Good luck on The Cockroach!

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:06 pm

Jono Diel wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:51 pm
Here is exercise #20, fellow classmates.

For the song La Tête Bizarde, on bars 3and 11; I'm confused as to which strings to dampen. Also the dotted lines on bars 23-24, is this for vibrato? Thanks a lot peers!
Hey Jono! looking good. That slow tempo is perfect for developing.

On bars 3 and 11 you only need to dampen if you use alternating fingers throughout the whole phrase. If you use your thumb when indicated on the open d string notes you will not need to dampen, because the thumb will do it for you.

I choose to play it with my fingers.. I just prefer the consistency. I did that with all the pieces up until lesson 5. Personal choice. I find it odd the tonal difference switching between thumb and finger. Another reason I prefer fingers to thumb is it allows me freedom to dampen sympathetic resonances.

Sympathetic resonance can be great at times, some pieces make great use of it, but in general when playing single line melodies I find it makes my sound more muddy to me with less separation. Everything blends.

It's a trade off, for sure. I go back and forth on it. Some pieces sound great if you leave the bass strings to sympathize.. Others will beat like crazy on certain notes! I'm kinda surprised this isn't discussed from the get go. It affects the sound quite a lot.

The dotted lines are indeed vibrato.. Something I think I also sometimes skip and add in, at will. Coming from a blues background, I think vibrato should be used whenever I feel :P

Yes, I am quite stubborn.. But as Judy says, it gives me my own flair! Hah!
Team Flesh

Jono Diel

Post by Jono Diel » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:06 am

I appreciate the clarification, Christopher! Also l've seen your videos, ang you are doing great! Keep up the good work!

Jono Diel

Post by Jono Diel » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:09 am

Here is my submission for Jig. Im trying to increase my recording volume because the first 2 submissions were too quiet. Let me know what you guys and gals think! Thanks!
Update: I didn't rea and ize that ne RH went towards the bridge.

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:49 am

Jono Diel wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:09 am
Here is my submission for Jig. Im trying to increase my recording volume because the first 2 submissions were too quiet. Let me know what you guys and gals think! Thanks!
Update: I didn't rea and ize that ne RH went towards the bridge.
I think your right hand placement looks fine. Very good effort and the Christmas tree in the background adds to the presentation as well.

BTW...the volume level is good too.

Bill
1959 Sakazo Nakade
1962 Mitsuru Tamura
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka No 40
2010 Hiroshi Komori No 35

Jono Diel

Post by Jono Diel » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:01 am

Thanks, Bill! Yes I'm kinda limited to only recording on that spot, so the tree will be in the vids until after new year's lol

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”