D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Graham Gaya
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Graham Gaya » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:32 pm

Here are my submissions for lesson 2. This kicked my behind however relieved I was able to get something upload worthy. Huge complement to the folks who have submitted, it is not an easy undertaking!. That said, I acted on the advice and got a classical guitar. Some things I need to work on are pacing, and hitting the notes clean. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

C Major Scale:

Exercise P59 N20:

Jig:

La tete bizarde:

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:00 am

Graham Gaya wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:32 pm
Here are my submissions for lesson 2. This kicked my behind however relieved I was able to get something upload worthy. Huge complement to the folks who have submitted, it is not an easy undertaking!. That said, I acted on the advice and got a classical guitar. Some things I need to work on are pacing, and hitting the notes clean. Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Very strong effort Graham. Really happy to see you were able to pick up a classical guitar. A couple of observations. At the end of the Jig, I sounded like you dropped a note and at the very end added an additional note. I would also suggest listening to Professor Delcamp’s version of Le tête bizarde and listen to your recording again and see if you can spot the difference. You look very relaxed while playing, which is something I continue to struggle with. I tend to tense up a lot and will realize it at some point due to the tension in my shoulders. This is a journey for sure. Really glad to be traveling it with you.
1959 Sakazo Nakade
1962 Mitsuru Tamura
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka No 40
1978 Masaru Matano
2010 Hiroshi Komori No 35

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:40 am

Graham,
William summed up your efforts quite effectively. I would surely second his comment about your apparent ease and relaxed nature with the instrument. You are doing an exceptional job at keeping your fingertips close to the strings and not adding any extra motion while fretting. I wish I could gain as much control. Excellent submission.
James
1972 Morris No 12
1972 Ryoji Matsuoka, NO 18
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka, NO. 20
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Martin Guitars (D28, MC28, D12-28, J40)
National Resonator Guitar
Les Paul 1960 reissue

Graham Gaya

Post by Graham Gaya » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:10 am

William Byrd wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:00 am

Very strong effort Graham. Really happy to see you were able to pick up a classical guitar. A couple of observations. At the end of the Jig, I sounded like you dropped a note and at the very end added an additional note. I would also suggest listening to Professor Delcamp’s version of Le tête bizarde and listen to your recording again and see if you can spot the difference. You look very relaxed while playing, which is something I continue to struggle with. I tend to tense up a lot and will realize it at some point due to the tension in my shoulders. This is a journey for sure. Really glad to be traveling it with you.
Thanks William for the feedback. Thanks for the observation about 'looking relaxed'. I must admit that it's a work in progress, perhaps it is because i had to repeat the pieces a lot that it may look relaxed -- for whatever reason, when recording I am a lot tense. One thing that helped was just keeping the tape rolling and by the 4th or 5th loop i'm able to play better.

Yes, in listening to Jig, i had a note missed at the end. For the Le tete, I'm not sure if i caught what you are hinting at. The main difference i saw was in the right hand (plucking). My thumb seemed to rest almost entirely on the D string, and I did not play with rest strokes. There are also some notes that I seem to cut shorter and should probably let ring out slightly longer. I am curious to know what you saw. Cheers.

Graham Gaya

Post by Graham Gaya » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:14 am

James A. Showalter wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:40 am
Graham,
William summed up your efforts quite effectively. I would surely second his comment about your apparent ease and relaxed nature with the instrument. You are doing an exceptional job at keeping your fingertips close to the strings and not adding any extra motion while fretting. I wish I could gain as much control. Excellent submission.
James
Thanks James, much like a duck in water, cool on the surface but feet scrambling underneath :).....much obliged.

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:19 am

Graham Gaya wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:10 am
William Byrd wrote:

Thanks William for the feedback. Thanks for the observation about 'looking relaxed'. I must admit that it's a work in progress, perhaps it is because i had to repeat the pieces a lot that it may look relaxed -- for whatever reason, when recording I am a lot tense. One thing that helped was just keeping the tape rolling and by the 4th or 5th loop i'm able to play better.

Yes, in listening to Jig, i had a note missed at the end. For the Le tete, I'm not sure if i caught what you are hinting at. The main difference i saw was in the right hand (plucking). My thumb seemed to rest almost entirely on the D string, and I did not play with rest strokes. There are also some notes that I seem to cut shorter and should probably let ring out slightly longer. I am curious to know what you saw. Cheers.
In bar 13, you do 8th notes like in bar 5 instead of quarter notes. Also, in bar 18, you strike the E and D rather than the C and B. The same is true in bar 26. It’s easy to confuse the E and C as well as the D and B. Again, just an observation.
1959 Sakazo Nakade
1962 Mitsuru Tamura
1978 Masaru Matano

Robert Drechsler

Post by Robert Drechsler » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:22 am

William Byrd wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:19 am

In bar 13, you do 8th notes like in bar 5 instead of quarter notes.
Thank you William for your replayes, i am realy happy to have you in our group :merci:
i also struggle with 8th and quarter notes or speed in general. Do you have any advise to practice it prober?

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:22 am

Robert Drechsler wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:22 am
William Byrd wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:19 am

In bar 13, you do 8th notes like in bar 5 instead of quarter notes.
Thank you William for your replayes, i am realy happy to have you in our group :merci:
i also struggle with 8th and quarter notes or speed in general. Do you have any advise to practice it prober?
What has made a tremendous difference for me is the use of a metronome. On many pieces with quarter and eighth notes, I start as slow as 40 bpm until I can get through the piece three times without error. From there, I gradually increase the speed until I can execute the piece at the assigned bpm.
1959 Sakazo Nakade
1962 Mitsuru Tamura
1978 Masaru Matano

Staffan Strömberg

Post by Staffan Strömberg » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:51 pm

Great playing, Graham. Very musical. I too do like you when I record, I keep the "tape" rolling until I get a good version.

Staffan Strömberg

Post by Staffan Strömberg » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:54 pm

I have added a recording of exercise 20, page 59, to my original post. I didn't include it at first because I recorded the wrong exercise.
Here it is.

Graham Gaya

Post by Graham Gaya » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:50 pm

William Byrd wrote:
In bar 13, you do 8th notes like in bar 5 instead of quarter notes. Also, in bar 18, you strike the E and D rather than the C and B. The same is true in bar 26. It’s easy to confuse the E and C as well as the D and B. Again, just an observation.
Wow....that is spot on, you have an amazing eye/ear for detail. I replayed that section and played it correctly and I was reading the music, but when I looked at the video and really slowed it down is when I noticed the difference. Thank you for calling that out.

Will I have to re-record this submission for it to qualify for the exam?

Graham Gaya

Post by Graham Gaya » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:56 pm

Staffan Strömberg wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:54 pm
I have added a recording of exercise 20, page 59, to my original post. I didn't include it at first because I recorded the wrong exercise.
Here it is.
Way to finish it all out Staffan. I can't quite tell, but is the pinky on the right hand anchored to guitar in the first few bars of the excercise?

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:55 pm

Graham Gaya wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:50 pm
William Byrd wrote:
Wow....that is spot on, you have an amazing eye/ear for detail. I replayed that section and played it correctly and I was reading the music, but when I looked at the video and really slowed it down is when I noticed the difference. Thank you for calling that out.

Will I have to re-record this submission for it to qualify for the exam?
I doubt it is necessary to resubmit. The whole purpose of posting is for our fellow classmates to observe and critique as well as the more experienced players on this site.
1959 Sakazo Nakade
1962 Mitsuru Tamura
1978 Masaru Matano

Robert Drechsler

Post by Robert Drechsler » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:41 pm

Graham Gaya wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:32 pm
That said, I acted on the advice and got a classical guitar.
Is it a Cordoba??? :bravo: what Model is it?

Garrie Miller

Post by Garrie Miller » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:33 am

Nice Graham, glad to see you committed to the Classical. I have my challenges, mostly with working on my coordination. I must say your commitment and playing has strengthened me.

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”