D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Michael McClenney
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Michael McClenney » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:28 am

Wow, talk about last minute, this month kicked my behind! Sorry in advance, it seems like my phone's mic doesn't cut on until a split second after it picks up sound. Hopefully there's a setting that I can change. The "C Major Scale" and "Exercise #20" will sound weird at the start, the other videos should be fine (well, ignoring the quality of my playing).

Here is my submission:

Playlist Link

Individual Pieces

C Major Scale

Exercise #20

La Tête Bizarde

Jig

Looking forward to next month, and not needing to wait to the last minute to submit :D

Michael McClenney

Post by Michael McClenney » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:34 am

Graham Gaya wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:10 am
Thanks William for the feedback. Thanks for the observation about 'looking relaxed'. I must admit that it's a work in progress, perhaps it is because i had to repeat the pieces a lot that it may look relaxed -- for whatever reason, when recording I am a lot tense. One thing that helped was just keeping the tape rolling and by the 4th or 5th loop i'm able to play better.

Yes, in listening to Jig, i had a note missed at the end. For the Le tete, I'm not sure if i caught what you are hinting at. The main difference i saw was in the right hand (plucking). My thumb seemed to rest almost entirely on the D string, and I did not play with rest strokes. There are also some notes that I seem to cut shorter and should probably let ring out slightly longer. I am curious to know what you saw. Cheers.
Nice guitar Graham! Yeah, keeping the tape rolling is a great way to help get relaxed. Another thing I'll do to help myself relax a bit is to record more than one good take. The first time I think I have something worth keeping, I'll keep the recording going and play the piece a few more times. Since I know I already have something worth submitting, afterwards I'll usually end up playing with a little less to worry about and a little more confidence.

Michael McClenney

Post by Michael McClenney » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:50 am

Jeffrey Wijnans wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:11 am
Thanks for the kind words and advise guys! La tete bizarde was a pain in the *** took me 10 times to get it "right" hahaha.
I think everybody will agree that that song was a bit of a difficulty spike! But it's rather fun to play. The only thing I would add to the comments is that you sometimes let the fingers of your left hand move pretty far away from the fretboard. That's going to hamper your speed, as your finger has farther to travel to fret the note.

It's definitely something I'm still working on myself, sometimes when I'm going through a passage I find difficult I tend to lose my proper left hand form.

Michael McClenney

Post by Michael McClenney » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:52 am

Staffan Strömberg wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:37 pm
Here are my submissions for C major scale, Jig and La tête bizard. I realized I recorded the wrong exercise from page 59 so that video will have to come later.
Excellent work Staffan!

Mazen Yahya

Post by Mazen Yahya » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:49 pm

Hi guys
Sorry for late for uploading lesson 2

Jeffrey Wijnans

Post by Jeffrey Wijnans » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:01 pm

@Mazen: Better late than never! ;)

Good effort! your missing some tempo/speed in the last two pieces but that will come with time and practice. Your sitting position might be something too look at. Right now your right hand is making some ulnar deviation (bend too the side of the pinky) which builds a bit of unnecessary tension and makes you prone to injury. On the other hand I see high level players do this as well so maybe its there anatomy or something I just dont know at this point in time so take that part of the advice with a grain of salt.

Keep up the good work! See you in the next lessons

Jeffrey Wijnans

Post by Jeffrey Wijnans » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:06 pm

Michael McClenney wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:50 am
Jeffrey Wijnans wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:11 am
Thanks for the kind words and advise guys! La tete bizarde was a pain in the *** took me 10 times to get it "right" hahaha.
I think everybody will agree that that song was a bit of a difficulty spike! But it's rather fun to play. The only thing I would add to the comments is that you sometimes let the fingers of your left hand move pretty far away from the fretboard. That's going to hamper your speed, as your finger has farther to travel to fret the note.

It's definitely something I'm still working on myself, sometimes when I'm going through a passage I find difficult I tend to lose my proper left hand form.
Thanks for the advice! Will definitely try to work on it! Better fix the mistakes early before I create bad habits.

Graham Gaya

Post by Graham Gaya » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:08 pm

Michael McClenney wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:34 am

Nice guitar Graham! Yeah, keeping the tape rolling is a great way to help get relaxed. Another thing I'll do to help myself relax a bit is to record more than one good take. The first time I think I have something worth keeping, I'll keep the recording going and play the piece a few more times. Since I know I already have something worth submitting, afterwards I'll usually end up playing with a little less to worry about and a little more confidence.
Great playing Michael. You've got good finger positioning especially for the left hand keeping the curve and not leaving a big gap to the strings. On La tete around 0:15 or 0:16, it looks like you are muting then playing the next note, when the muting and playing of the note should happen simultaneously. It's a minor detail but it's something i still struggle with. What i've seen work well is 'barre' the note to be played and the one to be muted at the same time to have the simultaneous effect.

Graham Gaya

Post by Graham Gaya » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:21 pm

Jeffrey Wijnans wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:01 pm

Good effort! your missing some tempo/speed in the last two pieces but that will come with time and practice. Your sitting position might be something too look at. Right now your right hand is making some ulnar deviation (bend too the side of the pinky) which builds a bit of unnecessary tension and makes you prone to injury. On the other hand I see high level players do this as well so maybe its there anatomy or something I just dont know at this point in time so take that part of the advice with a grain of salt.

@Mazen, like the old Michael Jordan commercial, one misses 100% of shots not taken! Being able to submit something is taking a shot so you are well on your way. Jeffery is spot on about the positioning. On an older thread someone had posted this video and it was very helpful for me to understand the why's of proper position hopefully that will help. In terms of practice, the tip shared about practing short pieces e.g. a few measures at a time really helps with note accuracy and tempo. Keep it up, in just the two lessons we've done, i've been amazed at the level of progress so stay on and we can all finish together.

https://youtu.be/fxDoRaRoiUQ

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:34 pm

Mazen Yahya wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:49 pm
Hi guys

Hi Mazen,
First off, well done :bravo:

I noticed in La Tete Bizard that you had a tendency to sweep your thumb under your palm when stroking. That could make it awkward for the ima strokes. I only noticed this because I am struggling with RH issues myself.
Best regards,
Bob G.

Michael McClenney

Post by Michael McClenney » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:03 pm

Mazen Yahya wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:49 pm
Hi guys
Hey Mazen,

Nice effort! I searched for your lesson #1 submission and didn't find anything, so if you're jumping in at lesson #2 then :bravo:
I echo the advice suggested so far, and if you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

Michael McClenney

Post by Michael McClenney » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:05 pm

Graham Gaya wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:08 pm
Great playing Michael. You've got good finger positioning especially for the left hand keeping the curve and not leaving a big gap to the strings. On La tete around 0:15 or 0:16, it looks like you are muting then playing the next note, when the muting and playing of the note should happen simultaneously. It's a minor detail but it's something i still struggle with. What i've seen work well is 'barre' the note to be played and the one to be muted at the same time to have the simultaneous effect.
Thanks Graham. And if we're talking about the same thing, good eye. You caught me cheating trying to mute the D note on the B string that was still ringing for too long. Busted.

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:55 pm

Hello Mazen,

I would recommend doing a search for posture and guitar position. There is a good video on YouTube by Scott Morris that addresses this issue. Good first effort. I think if you address some of the technical issues, it will help in your development.
1959 Sakazo Nakade
1962 Mitsuru Tamura
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka No 40
1978 Masaru Matano
2010 Hiroshi Komori No 35

Graham Gaya

Post by Graham Gaya » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:17 am

Robert Drechsler wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:41 pm

Is it a Cordoba??? :bravo: what Model is it?
Hi Robert, yes it's a Cordoba Iberia Series C7. Reading through the forums it was mentioned several times as a good starter guitar and was lucky to find a music shop near me that had this used one for sale. I definately noticed a huge difference using a classical vs the steel string.

Mazen Yahya

Post by Mazen Yahya » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:43 pm

Jeffrey Wijnans wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:01 pm

Thnak you for your advice
Best wishes

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”