D02 Classical guitar lesson 02

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D02 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:18 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D02.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

Today, we're going to work on a series of exercises:
- page 72 ex. 1, 2 & 3.
In these right hand exercises, you will work on getting a smooth join between notes, that is to say that you will end one or more notes at the exact moment that you start the following note (or notes).

- page 84 ex. 37 to 41.
Exercises 37 to 40 are for the fingers of the right hand. The (x) sign indicates that the right hand finger is resting on the string (and damping it). Exercise 41 is for the left hand: lean the left hand finger over to damp the adjacent string at the same time as you play the new note.

- page 73 exercise 6.
Play this left-hand exercise trying to leave your fingers in place on the strings as long as you can, as I show you in the following video. If the stretches between your fingers feel too much for you, you can make it easier for the left hand by using a capo so that you play on the higher frets which are closer together and your fingers will not have to stretch so far apart. Avoid bending your left wrist, as this not only hurts, but also hinders the mobility of your fingers. Aim for the position (of the guitar neck, your elbow and your shoulder) which will allow you to play without bending your left wrist, as shown in the following video. You will be able to play this exercise more effectively if you place your left thumb below your ring finger, i.e. below the third fret.

- page 74 Chromatic scale
Play this scale trying to leave your fingers on the strings as long as possible, as shown in this video. You will be able to play this exercise more effectively if you place your left thumb below your ring finger, i.e. below the third fret.

Next, we will be working on two pieces with a phrase structure of 4 bars. Phrase structure is the division of the larger musical phrase into parts of equal length, with the most common division being into sections of 4 bars. This division is linked not only to walking, but also to dance, poetry and singing.

- page 9 Fernando SOR (1778-1839) LEÇON IV opus 60
In order to mark the beat yourself, you need to count the smallest rhythmic values out loud as you play, as indicated on the score: "1 e 2 e 3 e 4 e 5 e 6 e" ("1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 5 and 6" in English)

Using a metronome is useful, but it is only a temporary crutch to lean on. You will benefit far more by counting the beats out loud as you play than by using a metronome. Internalizing the rhythm allows us in time to achieve both freedom and discipline when playing, that is, to be a musician.
If counting the smallest values out loud seems difficult, or very difficult, to you, it only means that you have to persevere, or persevere a lot more. Keep at it with determination until it becomes easy and natural for you. When, after having practised it long enough, this exercise of counting out loud while you play becomes easy, then you don't need to bother with it any more.

When you start working on a new piece, start by working very slowly, concentrating on precision. The essential thing is that you should play the music perfectly, that your rhythm should be precise, your sound well controlled, and your playing musical and expressive.
Speed will come with your new skills acquired in time through work. You should not worry about speed when tackling a new piece. At the beginning, such a preoccupation would only hinder you in your progress. It is only once you have mastered the piece within the comfort of a slow tempo, that you can start to think about playing progressively faster until finally you reach the right tempo.

- pages 12-13 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) MALAGUEÑA
To mark the beat for yourself, count the beats out loud as you play, as indicated on the score (1 e 2 e 3 e)
i.e. ("1 and 2 and 3 and").

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and pieces for one week and then to post your recordings on the forum for:
- exercice number 6 on page 73
- exercice number 40 on page 84,
- MALAGUEÑA on pages 12 and 13.

The work I'm asking of you is difficult and requires you to be both organized and disciplined. It is certain that you will struggle to get your fingers to perform the exact movements required for the exercises. In order to succeed in this, you need to make the same movements several dozen times daily. The goal of these exercises is to strengthen and stretch your finger muscles, to make your fingers stronger and more agile. Put in plenty of work, every day, on the difficult parts, focus on them and play the easy parts only occasionally.
To get the best out of your practice time, split it up into 15 minute sessions, and leave your hands to rest for at least 30 minutes between sessions. If your hands hurt, leave them to rest for an hour, the time it takes your body to eliminate the lactic acid in your muscles, which is the main cause of muscle pain.

Good luck!

I thank Charles (Charlesoln) and Geoff (GeoffB) who have helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:
exercice number 6 on page 73
exercice number 40 on page 84
MALAGUEÑA

Ken Kim
MALAGUEÑA

Judy Verbeeten
MALAGUEÑA

Charles Cook
MALAGUEÑA

Linda Kimbrel
MALAGUEÑA

Nelson Lee
MALAGUEÑA
:( + ♫ = :)

Ken Kim
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Ken Kim » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:18 pm

Hello, all.
I will be first again. I had a great fun and progress with 'Malaguena'. First take with cedar top and second take with spruce, which my baby son banged the door while I was in play. It was one of best take with bang sound...Any comments are welcome. Look forward to seeing your submissions.

Ken

Sore Fingers & Mind in heaven
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Robert England Hauser SP/F.Maple
Cordoba C12 SP* Rodriguez CD*Torres SP
Hill New World Player CD 615mm
Ryoji Matsuoka M60 SP '84
La Patrie Presentation CD
Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

Robert Drechsler

Post by Robert Drechsler » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:45 pm

Hey Kim, realy nice playing!! The Malaguena' you wrote "First take with cedar top" which guitar is it? sounds realy good.

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:09 pm

Ken Kim wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:18 pm

I had a great fun and progress with 'Malaguena'.
Ken, your Malaguena is terrific. I have also been working on that piece for the last while. But for the life of me, I cannot achieve the tempo you have mastered, and with such fluidity. Great job. You definitely have set the bar high for the group.

Judy

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:31 pm

Now that Ken has got things going, I will follow suite. Here are my Lesson 2 submissions.

Charles Cook

Post by Charles Cook » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:38 pm

Ken - nice work! Your rendition of Malaguena made me want to get up and dance! Which guitar is the Torres(cedar of spruce)? The bar is set pretty high already on Day 1!

Fellow D02 colleagues: the pressure is on!
2017 Cordoba 20th Anniversary Guitar
1993 Jose Ramirez R2

MikeTaylor

Post by MikeTaylor » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:50 pm

Ken Kim wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:18 pm
Hello, all.
I will be first again. I had a great fun and progress with 'Malaguena'. First take with cedar top and second take with spruce, which my baby son banged the door while I was in play. It was one of best take with bang sound...Any comments are welcome. Look forward to seeing your submissions.

Hello Ken,

Very nicely played. I personally think that your first recording of Malaquena that you posted is the better of the two. Both are very nice but your legato in the first is so smooth. The second recording has just a bit of a rushed feel. Maybe that is just the way I hear it though. Regardless, very nice playing.

I have been practicing Malaguena also but have not yet gotten it fully up to speed. I get to about 145 bpm and then began to have some trouble with my left hand fingering in measures 42-45. I just can not seem to get any faster so I have slowed way down, worked through the fingering and am trying to work back up to speed.

I am currently playing those measures: i-m-a-m-a-m a-i-a-m-a-m i-a-m-i-m-i p-a-i-m-a

How are you fingering those measures?

Thanks,

Mike
“Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to"
"I don't much care where–"
"Then it doesn't matter which way you go”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:48 pm

Robert Drechsler wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:45 pm
Hey Kim, realy nice playing!! The Malaguena' you wrote "First take with cedar top" which guitar is it? sounds realy good.
Thank you, Robert. It is Cordoba Rodriguez with Dogal Maestrale strings(many people from this forum hate this strings). I prefer spruce tho lol.

Judy Verbeeten wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:09 pm
Ken, your Malaguena is terrific. I have also been working on that piece for the last while. But for the life of me, I cannot achieve the tempo you have mastered, and with such fluidity. Great job. You definitely have set the bar high for the group.
Judy
Thank you for kind word, Judy. Just tips based on Bradford Werner method on your right hand movement. You might consider some space such as an egg inside of your palm. Your finger muscles seem mostly focused on tips of your finger. On the contrary, I usually focus on knuckle muscles much more than finger muscles itself with space in your palm. If you put space in your palm, it will be more relaxed strokes. Great work in short time. You are blessed with left hand.

Charles Cook wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:38 pm
Ken - nice work! Your rendition of Malaguena made me want to get up and dance! Which guitar is the Torres(cedar of spruce)? The bar is set pretty high already on Day 1!

Fellow D02 colleagues: the pressure is on!
Thank you, Charles. First take was Cordoba Rodriguez Cedar and second was Cordoba C12sp. Oh, Susanna was Cordoba Torres from first lesson. I envy you that you have most beautiful guitar from Cordoba.

MikeTaylor wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:50 pm
Hello Ken,

Very nicely played. I personally think that your first recording of Malaquena that you posted is the better of the two. Both are very nice but your legato in the first is so smooth. The second recording has just a bit of a rushed feel. Maybe that is just the way I hear it though. Regardless, very nice playing.

I have been practicing Malaguena also but have not yet gotten it fully up to speed. I get to about 145 bpm and then began to have some trouble with my left hand fingering in measures 42-45. I just can not seem to get any faster so I have slowed way down, worked through the fingering and am trying to work back up to speed.

I am currently playing those measures: i-m-a-m-a-m a-i-a-m-a-m i-a-m-i-m-i p-a-i-m-a

How are you fingering those measures?

Thanks,

Mike
Thank you, Mike. Spruce tells me bare truth and cedar has some kind of covering magic. I stlll prefer spruce more than cedar. I was trying to go as fast as 'Malaguena Facil' from D03. It was rushed lol. 145bpm is great. I surely did slow work on measure 37 thru 44 like 10 times everyday. Guess it worked.
I used p-a-i-m-a in measure 37,38, and p-a-m-i-m-i in 39. It was only 'i-m' in 41,42, and 43. Measure 44 used p-a-i-m-a again. It would be ok with any fingering you prefer since no fingering provided on those complicated measures.

Cheers all,
Ken

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:19 am

Ken Kim wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:48 pm

Thank you for kind word, Judy. Just tips based on Bradford Werner method on your right hand movement. You might consider some space such as an egg inside of your palm. Your finger muscles seem mostly focused on tips of your finger. On the contrary, I usually focus on knuckle muscles much more than finger muscles itself with space in your palm. If you put space in your palm, it will be more relaxed strokes. Great work in short time. You are blessed with left hand.
Thanks Ken, that is helpful advice. Yes, I will go straight to Bradford Werner's website to review my right-hand technique.

May I ask you about your practising technique - when you start to work on a piece like Malaguena, do you practise just that piece for hours on end, day after day, until you get it to where you want it, or do you start your practices with different exercises and/or practise other pieces? How long did it take you to play Malaguena so well?

Thanks again for the valuable advice.

Judy

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:09 am

Judy Verbeeten wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:19 am
Ken Kim wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:48 pm

Thanks Ken, that is helpful advice. Yes, I will go straight to Bradford Werner's website to review my right-hand technique.

May I ask you about your practising technique - when you start to work on a piece like Malaguena, do you practise just that piece for hours on end, day after day, until you get it to where you want it, or do you start your practices with different exercises and/or practise other pieces? How long did it take you to play Malaguena so well?

Thanks again for the valuable advice.

Judy
My Daily practice routine

Bradford Werner Warm-up excercise including slurs and chromatic scales : about 5-10 mins
I have done his warm-up for last 14 months almost everyday.

D01 - all 21exercises about 5 mins
Really, it got easier now.

D02 - exercises : about 15 mins
Mostly, focused on all different slurs

And usually practice 2 diffrent pieces (Repertoire or Etude) 30mins more or less

Has done warm-up and chromatic scales at least, at the day you don't want to play guitar .

I finished Bradford Werner Book 1 before I joined Delcamp forum. I was a little familiar with free stroke already, but never done rest stroke and damping before this forum. Has been hard to do rest stroke and damping. Can feel it is getting better. I've played Malaguena approximately for 1 and half months.

Just don't pay too much attention on technics. If you do, It will make you devastated. Let them be as it is. It will get better eventually. Try to memorize couple short pieces that you can play freely. 'Freely' means you can play those tunes while you are talking to someone, which also means play it almost without attention. This will make you relaxed to play guitar.

Your left hand position(angle) looks fabulous and better than me. Only thing on left hand is finger tips stay too far from fretboard. Try to stay in an inch or closer. If you want to get closer, practice chromatic sclaes. I never touched guitar before last year. I would never expect that I'd play any instrument in my life. Devotion on practicing and playing every single note will make your music better. Delcamp method is much harder than B.W. or any other.

How to practice on piece wouldn't be any surprise at all. Many instructor says same thing from Youtube. Master first measure, then second measure. Practice to connect first and second measure on and on and on...........
Master 1 or 2 measure then connect them together. After you've done all connecting, check the tempo. Slow to fast. Finally, check the articulation.

I wasn't sure I still memorize this Layenda Theme from his book 1(free download and Youtube lessons). Not sure it is ok to upload here. It sure was excited to play.

Cheers, :guitare:
Ken

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:38 am

Ken Kim wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:09 am

My Daily practice routine
Ken, thank you for so fully answering my questions. I am going to follow your recommendations as best as I can. I must say I tend to focus on one piece and only one piece at a time, to the exclusion of practising anything else.

I am definitely going to start to be more disciplined and start doing daily exercises/scales.

Thank you again. It is most helpful to get this sort of inside information on how others practise - definitely when the results are as good as your playing.

Judy

Charles Cook

Post by Charles Cook » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:47 am

Way to focus, regardless of the fire department banging on the door. And I thought I had distractions!!! Nice work and great guitars! Keep up the good work. This forum is fun!
1993 Jose Ramirez R2

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:24 am

Everyone,
excellent Malaguana all :bravo:

Ken,
It would be safest to check with a moderator before posting material from other sources due to the strict copyright rules on this forum.

Best regards,
Bob G.

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:13 pm

Robert Goodwin wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:24 am
Everyone,
excellent Malaguana all :bravo:

Ken,
It would be safest to check with a moderator before posting material from other sources due to the strict copyright rules on this forum.

Best regards,
Bob G.
Hi, Robert.
Thank you for concern. I'm ok if MOD delete Youtube link. If it is the rule in Delcamp forum, I'll gladly follow it.

Cheers,
Ken

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

Charles Cook

Post by Charles Cook » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:26 am

DO2, Lesson 2, Extensions

Here's to week 1. I need to keep working on tone.

1993 Jose Ramirez R2

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”