D02 Classical guitar lesson 02

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Judy Verbeeten
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 02 (Judy Verbeeten)

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:55 am

Nelson Lee wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:25 am
Hi Judy, Nice going with the Malagueña. Please note your RH finger technique. Try plucking from the largest finger joint. This will force your hand away from the strings, shape your hands like you're holding an egg, and relax and free your fingers. Regards, Nelson.
Thanks Nelson. Ken Kim has also noted that my right hand is too collapsed and not rounded enough. I do have to work on this. I suspect that my hand is a little more collapsed because I do not play with nails and that mandates a slightly different hand position (I think). But I definitely have to work on cupping my right hand more and plucking from the largest finger joint. Thank you for the valuable advice. Regards, Judy.

Colin Bullock

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Colin Bullock » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:47 am

Judy Verbeeten wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:26 pm
Thanks Colin. I thought I was damping the string.
In that case you probably are. Online videos are not the easiest to see detail.
Yes, it is a technique well worth practicing, damping was my big learning in the early lessons and is rarely discussed in tutor books.
Ken Kim wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:57 pm
Colin Bullock wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:42 pm
I've removed your video.
Although Leyenda is out of copywrite, specific editings of it are not.
Colin
Hi, Colin Bullock.

Not a problem. Thank you for letting me know.

Cheers,
Ken
Probably worth adding:
In the lesson section you can post any of the pieces or exercises that are part of that lesson. If you want to post any other material it should go in Student’s Corner or in the ‘Our Recordings of....’ sections eg viewforum.php?f=102
If you want a copy of Leyenda that is ok to perform on this site you can find it here https://www.delcamp.net/pdf/isaac_alben ... pus_47.pdf
Have fun :D

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:01 pm

Colin Bullock wrote: Ken
Probably worth adding:
In the lesson section you can post any of the pieces or exercises that are part of that lesson. If you want to post any other material it should go in Student’s Corner or in the ‘Our Recordings of....’ sections eg viewforum.php?f=102
If you want a copy of Leyenda that is ok to perform on this site you can find it here https://www.delcamp.net/pdf/isaac_alben ... pus_47.pdf
Have fun :D
Thank you for information, Colin Bullock. Nice to know where I should post. I played 'Leyenda Theme' for beginner and it is level 1. There is no way I can play original 'Asturias Leyenda'.😄
I really wish I can play it in couple years from now.

Cheers,
Ken

Sore Fingers & Mind in heaven
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Robert England Hauser SP/F.Maple
Cordoba C12 SP* Rodriguez CD*Torres SP
Hill New World Player CD 615mm
Ryoji Matsuoka M60 SP '84
La Patrie Presentation CD
Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

Linda Kimbrel

Post by Linda Kimbrel » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:32 pm

Charles Cook wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:30 am
Malaguena

This is the best I could do in 7 days!

Charles, that was quite good for seven days’ work. Your tempo is much improved from the tempo of your lesson 1 submissions. You’ve made great progress in a short time. . Keep with your efforts. :D

Nelson Lee

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 02 (Ken Kim)

Post by Nelson Lee » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:40 am

Hi Ken,

A very well executed Malagueña! I see your guitar is positioned upright. LH relaxed and the largest knuckles are in line with strings and fingers are curved. RH also relaxed, angled to strings, finger plucking from the largest knuckle joint. Looks good, sounds even better!

Your LH pinky is straight at times. And I can not decide if it matters, since you have good reach. What do you think?

I believe you are working on tempo with this piece, and you worked up a nice pace. Consider integrating a few dynamic elements into the piece:

Examples--
Measure 17: Make the high e notes softer than the bass notes, so that the bass notes dominate and sing.
Play phrases that repeat softer. (i.e. The first two phrases)
Measure 37: Shape the quick phrases.

Please note, Ken, the above suggestions are not "a must do" thing. They are suggestions to make the piece interesting for you to revisit.

I hope the feedback helps you with your guitar practice. Again, nicely done.

Regards, Nelson

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:16 pm

Ken Kim wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:06 am
Hi, all.
This was good practice for left pinky. Chromatic scales helped a lot for this tune. Rhythm wasn't really steady, which was between 105~115 bpm. No articulation but concentrated on legato. All the halftone made me quite complicated. Was good sight reading practice.
Great stuff Ken! I must confess that I oftentimes just concentrate on the assigned pieces, gifting scant attention to other components in each lesson. You have refocused my efforts and provide a terrific role model for the classes. Thanks for sharing and setting such a committed and commendable standard. Much appreciated. Judy.

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:06 am

Nelson Lee wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:40 am
Hi Ken,
A very well executed Malagueña! I see your guitar is positioned upright. LH relaxed and the largest knuckles are in line with strings and fingers are curved. RH also relaxed, angled to strings, finger plucking from the largest knuckle joint. Looks good, sounds even better!
Your LH pinky is straight at times. And I can not decide if it matters, since you have good reach. What do you think?
I believe you are working on tempo with this piece, and you worked up a nice pace. Consider integrating a few dynamic elements into the piece:
Examples--
Measure 17: Make the high e notes softer than the bass notes, so that the bass notes dominate and sing.
Play phrases that repeat softer. (i.e. The first two phrases)
Measure 37: Shape the quick phrases.
Please note, Ken, the above suggestions are not "a must do" thing. They are suggestions to make the piece interesting for you to revisit.
I hope the feedback helps you with your guitar practice. Again, nicely done.
Regards, Nelson
Hi, Nelson.

Thank you for your response. My tempo is about right or little faster than Maestro Delcamp.
My D02 videos were submitted about almost 4 weeks ago tho. It's been getting better for measure 17 but measure 37 is still a challenge to make smoother. I agree with you about my pinky getting straight and it is getting better as loosen C shape these days. I can't understand Maestro Delcamp's intention putting 'Malaguena' in 2nd lesson. It is quite obvious that Malaguena is much harder than later lesson's pieces. It is one of huge challenge in D02.

Well, Soleares is coming up. Better start working on it. Low E damps have given me hard time but getting better little by little. I look forward to seeing your 'Malaguena'. I'll upload 'A Toye' as soon as 3rd lesson open.

Judy Verbeeten wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:16 pm
Great stuff Ken! I must confess that I oftentimes just concentrate on the assigned pieces, gifting scant attention to other components in each lesson. You have refocused my efforts and provide a terrific role model for the classes. Thanks for sharing and setting such a committed and commendable standard. Much appreciated. Judy.
Hi, Judy.

Appreciate your generous words. If you work on just assigned pieces, you will have hard time later on. I believe it is some what related to build your muscle, finger positions, sight reading, or both free and rest stroke excercises. There is no reason to put those pieces in lesson, if students don't need to practice much. Every tunes are beautiful that I couldn't miss them.

Whatever you played in lower level will help you at advanced level. You'll meet similar notes and rhythm later on.
I would suggest you that find many different easy pieces you can play FREELY. Keep doing that and you'll find next level easier than you thought. It's all about getting used and repetitions.

Don't miss your daily practice! Happy playing! :guitare:

Cheers,
Ken

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

MikeTaylor

Post by MikeTaylor » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:42 am

Hello all,

I Just wanted to check in. I have not abandoned the class. I had the misfortune of hitting a deer while riding my motorcycle and I injured my left wrist. I am a little banged up but nothing serious. My left wrist has been in a splint for a few weeks and so I have not been able to play.

Hopefully will be getting back to it in the next couple of days and will be working to catch up.

I suspect that the recording that I get up for this lesson will not be up to my full potential but I guess sometimes life intervenes.

Some very nice recordings of this great little piece that we have assigned. Congratulations to all for the hard work and success.

Thanks,

Mike
“Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to"
"I don't much care where–"
"Then it doesn't matter which way you go”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Linda Kimbrel

Post by Linda Kimbrel » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:09 pm

MikeTaylor wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:42 am
Hello all,

I Just wanted to check in. I have not abandoned the class. I had the misfortune of hitting a deer while riding my motorcycle and I injured my left wrist. I am a little banged up but nothing serious. My left wrist has been in a splint for a few weeks and so I have not been able to play.

Hopefully will be getting back to it in the next couple of days and will be working to catch up.

I suspect that the recording that I get up for this lesson will not be up to my full potential but I guess sometimes life intervenes.

Some very nice recordings of this great little piece that we have assigned. Congratulations to all for the hard work and success.

Thanks,

Mike
Mike, I’m sorry to hear this. I’ve been hit by deer four times, fortunately I was driving a car each time. Dang deer anyway. It’s good you weren’t more seriously injured, motorcycles are no match for one of them. Don’t overstress that wrist trying to catch up, remember you only need to post submissions for 7 out of 10 lessons.
Good luck and speedy recovery.

Kinda Kimbrel

Linda Kimbrel

Post by Linda Kimbrel » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:18 pm

Class, here belatedly is my submission of Malaguena. Try as I might I was never able to get through the entire piece on my Martin acoustical without stumbling. I am now the proud, if impoverished, owner of an actual classical guitar, and while my piece here is far from polished and perfect I at least made it all the way through. I expect my accuracy will improve as I gain familiarity with my new guitar. As of now I have less than four hours playing time on it, most of which was mere exploration at the music center.

Linda Kimbrel

Michael McClenney

Post by Michael McClenney » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:24 pm

MikeTaylor wrote:
Hello all,

Thanks,

Mike
Get well soon! I also went down on my motorcycle about a month ago, and felt like I had sprained my left hand. Glad to hear you're mostly okay though.

Garrie Miller

Post by Garrie Miller » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:59 am

Hello All,

I must say I see wonderful progress by all. I have to apologies for my lack of posting. I have had an unusual amount of business travel and had a terrible time getting my vid to load. I will forge ahead and try to catch up properly and wish to thank all for patience. Mike sorry to hear about the wrist, I hope for quick recovery. Charles, great job in 7 days. Your sound is very good.

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:31 am

MikeTaylor wrote:
Hello all,
Thanks,
Mike
Hi, Mike.

I believe things just keep happening in our life. It is so blessing you had a minor injury from motorcycle accident. Wish you get well soon.

Linda Kimbrel wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:18 pm
Class, here belatedly is my submission of Malaguena. Try as I might I was never able to get through the entire piece on my Martin acoustical without stumbling. I am now the proud, if impoverished, owner of an actual classical guitar, and while my piece here is far from polished and perfect I at least made it all the way through. I expect my accuracy will improve as I gain familiarity with my new guitar. As of now I have less than four hours playing time on it, most of which was mere exploration at the music center.
Linda Kimbrel
Hi, Linda.
Congrat on your new gear! Nicely played with right tempo. Hope you can upload Malaguena with less mistakes later on.

Don't miss your daily practice. Happy playing. :guitare:

Cheers,
Ken

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

Nelson Lee

Re: D02-02 CG Lesson (Nelson Lee)

Post by Nelson Lee » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:19 am

Hi Everyone. The following videos are my D02-02 Lesson pieces with the following focus:

1. Right hand fingering at 45 degrees to guitar strings. Execute RH plucking by planting fingers on left corner between nail and flesh, pushing string towards sound hole, and releasing the strings so it rides the nail ramp. For high note strings, fingers are plucked at an angle. For bass note string, fingers are plucked perpendicular to strings. This is to prevent scratching the wire bass strings. Moreover, I will be growing my nails out to experiment with tone production with long nails.

I have included a video with and without metronome beats for Malagueña.

Please feel free to give me feedback. Thanks so much for the support, Nelson.

Malaguena

CG Exercise #6 (p73)

CG Exercise #40 (p 84)

"From the Past"
I have include two pieces from D01 Lesson series. I tried incorporating the what I learned musically to these early pieces.

La Cucaracha (p 21)

Alouette (p 23)
Last edited by Nelson Lee on Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ken Kim

Re: D02-02 CG Lesson (Nelson Lee)

Post by Ken Kim » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:56 am

Nelson Lee wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:19 am
Hi Everyone. The following videos are my D02-02 Lesson pieces with the following focus:

1. Right hand fingering at 45 degrees to guitar strings. Executing RH plucking by planting fingers on left corner between nail and flesh, pushing string towards sound hole, and releasing the strings so it rides the nail ramp. For high note strings, fingers are plucked at an angle. For bass note string, fingers are plucked perpendicular to strings. This is to prevent scratching the wire bass strings. Moreover, I will be growing my nails out to experiment with tone production with long nails.

I have included a video with and without metronome beats for Malagueña.

Please feel free to give me feedback. Thanks so much for the support, Nelson.

Malaguena

"From the Past"
I have include two pieces from D01 Lesson series. I tried incorporating the what I learned musically to these early pieces.
Hi, Nelson.
Very well done Malaguena and you did master those 2 tunes from D01. Tone is way better now. You made me think maybe I'm plucking strings too strong.
'For bass note string, fingers are plucked perpendicular to strings. This is to prevent scratching the wire bass strings.' This is very valuable info for both D01 amd D02 grooup. I hope people can understand what you mean by scratching bass strings. I'm still working on this and now I pluck bass strings way less scratch than before. I enjoyed D01 pieces becuase it wasn't your submissions but was confident performance with your musical feeling. None to criticize but little suggestion for excercise #40. Try backward too. Please, watch my ex.40 with backward.

Don't miss your daily practice and enjoy music! :guitare:

Cheers,
Ken

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”