D02 Classical guitar lesson 02

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Judy Verbeeten
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02-02 CG Lesson (Nelson Lee)

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:19 pm

Nelson Lee wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:19 am
Hi Everyone. The following videos are my D02-02 Lesson pieces with the following focus:
Nelson, impressive performance(s) on Malaguena. My goodness, I was happy just to complete the piece reasonably well once (for recording), But you forged ahead with and without metronome. I was particularly impressed with your (and Ken's) RH and LH positioning. I can learn a lot from watching your performances. Well done.

Judy

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:44 pm

Nelson Lee wrote:
Hi Everyone. The following videos are my D02-02 Lesson pieces with the following focus:

1. Right hand fingering at 45 degrees to guitar strings. Execute RH plucking by planting fingers on left corner between nail and flesh, pushing string towards sound hole, and releasing the strings so it rides the nail ramp. For high note strings, fingers are plucked at an angle. For bass note string, fingers are plucked perpendicular to strings. This is to prevent scratching the wire bass strings. Moreover, I will be growing my nails out to experiment with tone production with long nails.

I have included a video with and without metronome beats for Malagueña.

Please feel free to give me feedback. Thanks so much for the support, Nelson.
"From the Past"
I have include two pieces from D01 Lesson series. I tried incorporating the what I learned musically to these early pieces.
He Nelson, that's impressive how much you managed to improve your tone. To me it sounds full and round, also very little clicking sound. Bass notes are great as well. Keep it up!! Looking forward to you next videos!
Cordoba C9

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:59 pm

Nelson Lee wrote:
Hi Everyone. The following videos are my D02-02 Lesson]
Hi Nelson. All I can say is "Mission Accomplished "! Your tone sounds wonderful. Nice job with Malaguena too. The last line of the piece gave me a lot of trouble (in addition to the triplet transition ).

Good point on string squeak too. Some say (i.e. John Williams ) the Lightly Polished " variety of strings made by D'Addario are supposed to help with that. I don't know if that feature would help us student mortals. Your method works although I still have trouble sometimes when using fingers (versus thumb, especially "m" or "a"), while working scales.
1989 Takamine C132S
Yamaha CG-100A

Nelson Lee

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Nelson Lee » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:31 pm

Dear Ken, Andrei, Judy, and Tom,

Thanks for the wonderful support and feedback. Your encouragement and feedback continues to direct my focus to areas that needs the most attention and has improved my musical awareness. This process, although challenging, gives me joy and a special sense of accomplishment. My best, Nelson. :D

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:58 pm

Colin Bullock wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:55 pm

Judy, in the damping exercise are you placing your finger/thumb immediately back on the string - note shown as x - as the other thumb/finger plays, a sort of rocking motion to damp the string not being played. On your video it sounds as though the strings are ringing on rather than being damped.
Sorry if I'm not hearing it correctly, otherwise good to practice. Colin
Colin, I now realize that I posted the wrong video of the simple damping exercise. Thank you for so assiduously evaluating all the submissions. Here is the belated (and correct) damping submission. Thank you again. Best, Judy.

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:56 pm

Judy Verbeeten wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:58 pm
Colin, I now realize that I posted the wrong video of the simple damping exercise. Thank you for so assiduously evaluating all the submissions. Here is the belated (and correct) damping submission. Thank you again. Best, Judy.
Hi, Judy.

Although your RH position looks definitely better than before, I might give a little more space about 1" between guitar and your wrist. Your back of the RH is supposed to parallel to guitar. Some teachers say it is ok if your right hand is straight. But Mine bent a little.
I took a photos of my RH position.
20181106_163747.jpg
Don't miss your daily practice and enjoy playing :guitare: :bravo: .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ken

Sore Fingers & Mind in heaven
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Robert England Hauser SP/F.Maple
Cordoba C12 SP* Rodriguez CD*Torres SP
Hill New World Player CD 615mm
Ryoji Matsuoka M60 SP '84
La Patrie Presentation CD
Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:09 am

Ken Kim wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:56 pm
Hi, Judy. Although your RH position looks definitely better than before, I might give a little more space about 1" between guitar and your wrist. Your back of the RH is supposed to parallel to guitar. Some teachers say it is ok if your right hand is straight. But Mine bent a little.
Thank you for that tip, Ken. Yes, I see (on the picture and your videos) that your RH is much more fully cupped than mine. I will try to focus on my RH position, but before I know it, I am back to a less curved position. Again, I do not know if it is because I do not play with nails. I appreciate your recommendation, because, logically, if there is more space between the hand and the guitar, I presume that the bending movement from the large knuckles can be freer and fuller.

Thanks again, Judy.

P.S. By the way, your thumb-nail is terrific!

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”