D03 Classical guitar lesson 02

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Nelson Lee
Student of the online lessons

D03 Classical guitar lesson 02 (Tom Wimsatt)

Post by Nelson Lee » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:15 am

Dear Tom,

First of all, thanks again for your wonderful feedback on my lesson videos. It's always so helpful to get help from someone who is ahead and has experience with the early pieces. With that said, please take my feedback with the awareness that I might miss the mark. I am working on the very things I am suggesting.

Nice job on the lesson songs. I like you LH technique. Your large knuckles are inline with the fingerboard and guitar strings, fingers are curved, pinky is responding independently, and fingers are going onto the strings on the finger tip (especially for the three high strings). Food for thought: Bring LH closer to the side of fingerboard. This change will enable you to have more reach to the three bass strings, and enable you to finger bass notes directly on your finger tips more consistently.

RH technique. Hand is positioned correctly (angled to strings), relaxed, just below the sound hole. Try fingering from the large knuckles more, instead of your middle and lower joints. I feel you are "bicycling" your fingers at times. This change will allow you to finger with less effort and with greater speed. Try clapping your RH by using your RH fingers (a one hand clap). This is how you should feel when fingering. Please refer to the following video for more information by Allen Mathew, a professional teacher, on this subject:

//youtu.be/kPBqjgF9-l8

This video is on YouTube. Just copy link on YouTube.

Musicality. Rhythm, tone, phrasing, tempo, are wonderful. Try experimenting with dynamics (soft and loud). For example, play a repeated phrase or section softer. Play the difference between mf and pp more.

Tom, I hope the suggests above can help you in your guitar practice. Please take what helps and trash the rest.

My best, Nelson.

Robert Goodwin

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Robert Goodwin » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:32 am

Hi all,
For your consideration, I noticed that the quaver rests (1/8 rests) in the Carcassi valse were generally missed. As best I recall, I used the same fingers that plucked the note to dampen them for each of those rests. It gives a livelier sound and more contrast to the sustained notes later in the score.
Best regards,
Bob G.

Tom Wimsatt

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 02 (Tom Wimsatt)

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:57 pm

Nelson Lee wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:15 am
Dear Tom,

..1) Bring LH closer to the side of fingerboard. This change will enable you to have more reach to the three bass strings, and enable you to finger bass notes directly on your finger tips more consistently.
..2) RH technique. Try fingering from the large knuckles more, instead of your middle and lower joints.
Nelson,

Thanks for the feedback. The two items above never crossed my mind. Thanks for pointing them out. The "clapping your RH by using your RH fingers" comment was very effective in getting the point across. :bravo:

I've thought about that sort of movement when playing chords but never with individual strings. I'll go check out Allen Mathew's posts. I'm glad to learn new ideas/perspectives on practice and playing.

Thanks again.

PS: I tried the link you provided and was unable to find it on Youtube. Can you provide the title of the Video? Thanks!
Last edited by Tom Wimsatt on Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1989 Takamine C132S
Yamaha CG-100A

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:21 pm

Robert Goodwin wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:32 am
Hi all,
For your consideration, I noticed that the quaver rests (1/8 rests) in the Carcassi valse were generally missed. As best I recall, I used the same fingers that plucked the note to dampen them for each of those rests. It gives a livelier sound and more contrast to the sustained notes later in the score.
Best regards,
Bob G.
Robert, thanks for the feedback. I was under the impression that rests and muted strings (currently indicated on the scores) were not handled the same way. However, a livelier sound is always a good thing, so I'll give your idea a try. At some point we'll be determining proper damping on our own anyway....

Thanks again!
1989 Takamine C132S
Yamaha CG-100A

OlgaVovk

Post by OlgaVovk » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:56 am

Dear all
Below is a link to my second attempt with Carcassi Valse, opus 59
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB5MfOG ... e=youtu.be

Tom and Robert,
Thank you very much for discussing the vals, sprecifically the timing and beat,
I was watching you conversations closely and tried to apply your advices,
'Thank you!
Olga

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:57 pm

OlgaVovk wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:56 am
Dear all
Below is a link to my second attempt with Carcassi Valse, opus 59
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB5MfOG ... e=youtu.be
Olga, I tried to open the link above and it returned an error. I went to your YouTube page (nice job with Bartolomé Calatayud Vals by the way) and could not locate it there either. The most recent upload being about 1 week ago.
1989 Takamine C132S
Yamaha CG-100A

OlgaVovk

Post by OlgaVovk » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:21 am

HI Tom,
I am sorry, something got wrong with the upload.

Here is a good one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB5MfOGu9bQ

And thank you for your comments regarding Calatayud Vals.
Well, it took me a year, to make it soubnd good.
Best,
Olga

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”