D02 Classical guitar lesson 03

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D02 Classical guitar lesson 03

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:58 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D02.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

First we'll revise some techanical exercises from volume D02.
- page 73, numbers 6 and 7.
Play this left-hand exercise trying to leave your fingers in place on the strings as long as you can, as I show you in the following video. If the stretches between your fingers seem too much for you, you can make it easier for the left hand by playing these exercises in 3rd or 5th position. Then your fingers won't need to stretch so far apart. Avoid bending your left wrist, as this not only hurts, but also hinders the mobility of your fingers. Aim for the position (of the guitar neck, your elbow and your shoulder) which will allow you to play without bending your left wrist, as shown in the following video. You will be able to play this exercise more effectively if you place your left thumb below your ring finger, i.e. below the third fret.

- page 74 Chromatic scale
Play this scale trying to leave your fingers on the strings as long as possible, as shown in this video. You will be able to play this exercise more effectively if you place your left thumb below your ring finger, i.e. below the third fret.

Finally, we'll look at 2 pieces, pages 10, 16 and 17.
- page 10 ANONYME (1600) A TOYE
A Toye consists of three sections of four bars each, the third section being identical to the first. So this piece has an a-b-a structure, also sometimes called a Lied form (or ternary form).

The first section is in the key of A major, and you can see in it the Siciliana rhythm (dotted quaver, semiquaver, quaver, or dotted eighth note, sixteenth note, eighth note). The second section is in the key of D major. A major and D major are closely related keys, which means that they have 6 notes in common and just one different note between them. The G is sharp in A major but natural in D major.
The Lied (ternary) form is often used by composers, and you will find five other examples in the same volume:
Juan Bobrowitz : Danse polonaise
Joseph Meissonnier : Andante affettuoso
Mauro Giuliani : Écossaise n°10 opus 33
Fernando Sor : Allegretto n°2 opus 44
Felix Horetzky : Amusement opus 18 no.10

- pages 16-17 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) SOLEARES
This piece comes from flamenco music, but the rhythm doesn't follow the traditional pattern of accented beats over a 12 beat phrase (1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12). The mode used is the Andalusian mode: E F G# A B C D E. The repeats are necessary, in order to preserve the structure based on groups of four bars.

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and pieces for one week and then to post your recordings on the forum for:
- page 10 ANONYME (1600) A TOYE
- pages 16-17 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) SOLEARES

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

A TOYE
SOLEARES

Ken Kim
A TOYE
SOLEARES

Judy Verbeeten
A TOYE
SOLEARES

Charles Cook
A TOYE
SOLEARES

Linda Kimbrel
A TOYE
SOLEARES
:( + ♫ = :)

Ken Kim
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 03

Post by Ken Kim » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:49 pm

Hi, all.
Here I go for 3rd lesson's submissions.

I'm so glad I didn't miss any damping for both pieces. Both A Toye with 4th string dampings and Soleares with many 6th string dampings were tricky and hard. I'll try to upload better version of Soleares later. Although Soleares is mixed with free and rest stroke, I played it ony with free stroke and little slower than 132bpm. Any comments are welcome.

Don't miss your daily practice and enjoy music! :guitare:

Cheers,
Ken

Sore Fingers & Mind in heaven
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Robert England Hauser SP/F.Maple
Cordoba C12 SP* Rodriguez CD*Torres SP
Hill New World Player CD 615mm
Ryoji Matsuoka M60 SP '84
La Patrie Presentation CD
Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:34 pm

Ken Kim wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:49 pm
Hi, all.

Cheers,
Ken, as per usual, your submissions set the standard. I must say that I can never attain the fast tempo (132 bpm) expected of these quicker pieces. Your tempo and consistency of tone, for both pieces, are right on the money. I know we are supposed to offer constructive criticism for fellow players to direct improvements, but I am at a loss to provide any such advice.

I notice that you never have to look at your fingering. I, by comparison, still occasionally have to look at my left fingering positioning to ensure accuracy. I guess that will take more practice. Well done. And thank you for posting your pieces so early. Much appreciated.

Judy

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:46 pm

Ken Kim wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:49 pm
Hi, all.

I'm so glad I didn't miss any damping for both pieces. Both A Toye with 4th string dampings and Soleares with many 6th string dampings were tricky and hard. I'll try to upload better version of Soleares later. Although Soleares is mixed with free and rest stroke, I played it ony with free stroke and little slower than 132bpm. Any comments are welcome.

Don't miss your daily practice and enjoy music! :guitare:
Cheers,
Hi Ken. "Don't miss your daily practice and enjoy music!" Great advice, and I totally agree. I don't think I could practice daily if I didn't like the music I was playing.

Nice job with those two pieces. I had a lot of trouble with the Soleares piece, specifically transitioning to the triplets while maintaining steady tempo. I found maintaining an even tempo generally difficult on that piece, although now that I think about it, it may not have been that important. More for the sake of skills development (rather than playing style) I guess. You might want to try that as well, though this is a small detail. Both pieces sounded great to my ears.
1989 Takamine C132S
Yamaha CG-100A

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:49 pm

Here are my 2 postings for lesson 3. Not very strategic on my part, posting right after Ken, one of the strongest members in our group, but early postings usually facilitate more constructive criticism. So here are my pieces.

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:02 pm

Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:46 pm

I had a lot of trouble with the Soleares piece, specifically transitioning to the triplets while maintaining steady tempo. I found maintaining an even tempo generally difficult on that piece, although now that I think about it, it may not have been that important. More for the sake of skills development (rather than playing style) I guess. You might want to try that as well, though this is a small detail. Both pieces sounded great to my ears.
Tom, yes, as you can see (hear), I face the same challenges vis-a-vis maintaining the tempo with the different note couplings. Nice to know I am not the only one! Thanks for taking the time to advise students in a lower group than your own. Your input is much appreciated.

Judy

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:25 pm

Judy Verbeeten wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:34 pm
Ken, as per usual, your submissions set the standard. I must say that I can never attain the fast tempo (132 bpm) expected of these quicker pieces. Your tempo and consistency of tone, for both pieces, are right on the money. I know we are supposed to offer constructive criticism for fellow players to direct improvements, but I am at a loss to provide any such advice.
I notice that you never have to look at your fingering. I, by comparison, still occasionally have to look at my left fingering positioning to ensure accuracy. I guess that will take more practice. Well done. And thank you for posting your pieces so early. Much appreciated.

Judy
Thank you much for nice word, Judy.
A Toye had an unusual damping for D(4th) and it was hard to do it. From slow to fast, no shortcut other than that. I can see you are improving well, but your RH position doesn't seem getting better. A Toye is apoyando(rest stroke) piece although you mixed with free and rest. Your RH position is called 'Crab shape plucking' from B.Werner video lesson. I had a problem like RH pinky keep sticking out while I pluck strings. My tonal quality got better and better, as soon as I corrected RH position issues. I corrected mine thru watching tons of YouTube professional play. I don't have much gap between i-m-a while I pluck and I try hard to put my thumb on Bass string, which I didn't pluck, to keep balance of my RH position. About not looking your fingers, just close your eyes and listen to your playing.

My Soleares need some articulation. It is quite boring as I watch myself again. All the E(6th) string damping was hard to get used but it was definitely worth it, although Maestro Delcamp didn't damp some of them. As I see your submissions, you don't do any damping. Delcamp method starts with how to damp open string notes. Specially, Bass damping is very important to make clean harmony with unnecessary note. Better get on right about damping sooner. :bravo:

Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:46 pm
Hi Ken. "Don't miss your daily practice and enjoy music!" Great advice, and I totally agree. I don't think I could practice daily if I didn't like the music I was playing.
Nice job with those two pieces. I had a lot of trouble with the Soleares piece, specifically transitioning to the triplets while maintaining steady tempo. I found maintaining an even tempo generally difficult on that piece, although now that I think about it, it may not have been that important. More for the sake of skills development (rather than playing style) I guess. You might want to try that as well, though this is a small detail. Both pieces sounded great to my ears.
Tom, thank you much for your observation. I've often watched your D01 and D02 submissions. Not that many students here consider damping seriously, but you've done it right. I once thought that damping wasn't so important to consider and tried to avoid it. I changed my mind about damping because of your clean submissions. Thank you for that.
Triplets are still tricky to play it in right tempo. You are definitely right I usually get slower on triplets than other measures. It feels like I have to practice tremolo. I'm planning to practice with open strings p-m-i. I wish I can get better on triplets eventually.

Don't miss your daily practice and happy playing! :guitare:

Cheers,
Ken

Sore Fingers & Mind in heaven
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Robert England Hauser SP/F.Maple
Cordoba C12 SP* Rodriguez CD*Torres SP
Hill New World Player CD 615mm
Ryoji Matsuoka M60 SP '84
La Patrie Presentation CD
Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:58 am

Ken Kim wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:25 pm

I can see you are improving well, but your RH position doesn't seem getting better. A Toye is apoyando(rest stroke) piece although you mixed with free and rest. Your RH position is called 'Crab shape plucking' from B.Werner video lesson. I had a problem like RH pinky keep sticking out while I pluck strings. My tonal quality got better and better, as soon as I corrected RH position issues. I corrected mine thru watching tons of YouTube professional play. I don't have much gap between i-m-a while I pluck and I try hard to put my thumb on Bass string, which I didn't pluck, to keep balance of my RH position.
Ken, thank you for your constructive observations. I definitely have to work on my RH positioning. Part of my 'problem' is that as a retired surgeon, I have always had short nails, and I cannot fathom the notion of having longer nails on my RH. You simply cannot teach an old horse, new tricks. I, therefore, play without nails. I think that accounts a little for my 'crab shape plucking', although, for sure, I have to round-out a bit.

A guitarist named Rob MacKillop, has an informative short video on his playing technique without finger nails:

But I definitely have to work on my RH position, nails or no nails.

I thought I was more successful with the damping for Atoye, but did try to damp for Soleares also, but missed a few spots for sure.

Practice makes perfect ... and I certainly have a long way to go.

Judy

Linda Kimbrel

Post by Linda Kimbrel » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:20 am

My goodness, I just found the lesson posted today and you folks are already making your submissions! I am sure I will need the full week to work on these pieces before I could post something even passably recognizable. We shall see. I am waiting for word of a new great-grandchild amy moment now which could interfere with my practice schedule, for the next few days anyway. It's quite tricky to play guitar with a sweet new baby in your arms.

Linda K

Linda Kimbrel

Post by Linda Kimbrel » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:23 am

Judy Verbeeten wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:49 pm
Here are my 2 postings for lesson 3. Not very strategic on my part, posting right after Ken, one of the strongest members in our group, but early postings usually facilitate more constructive criticism. So here are my pieces.
Judy, I see immediately that your playing has grown noticeably smoother compared to your previous submissions. The individual notes are allowed to ring for their full count, not cut short in such a stacotto fashion, and the flow of the music feels less chopped up. You've got your legato going on. :)

Linda K

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:48 am

Linda Kimbrel wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:20 am
I am waiting for word of a new great-grandchild amy moment now which could interfere with my practice schedule, for the next few days anyway. It's quite tricky to play guitar with a sweet new baby in your arms.

Linda K
Linda, congratulations on your upcoming new addition. My husband and I are still working on grandchildren (they are still young) and are expecting our 16th grandchild in short order. I practise ahead of time and post early, because my competitive baby-sitting fees ( 2 kisses per hour) keep my services in high demand, and I just don't know when I will be tasked with looking after a few sick kiddies for a number of consecutive intensive days, with no time for practising.

Judy

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:54 pm

Judy Verbeeten wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:58 am
Ken Kim wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:25 pm

I can see you are improving well, but your RH position doesn't seem getting better. A Toye is apoyando(rest stroke) piece although you mixed with free and rest. Your RH position is called 'Crab shape plucking' from B.Werner video lesson. I had a problem like RH pinky keep sticking out while I pluck strings. My tonal quality got better and better, as soon as I corrected RH position issues. I corrected mine thru watching tons of YouTube professional play. I don't have much gap between i-m-a while I pluck and I try hard to put my thumb on Bass string, which I didn't pluck, to keep balance of my RH position.
Ken, thank you for your constructive observations. I definitely have to work on my RH positioning. Part of my 'problem' is that as a retired surgeon, I have always had short nails, and I cannot fathom the notion of having longer nails on my RH. You simply cannot teach an old horse, new tricks. I, therefore, play without nails. I think that accounts a little for my 'crab shape plucking', although, for sure, I have to round-out a bit.

A guitarist named Rob MacKillop, has an informative short video on his playing technique without finger nails. I am not sure if I am allowed to post his short explanatory video. Just google Rob MacKillop and playing classical guitar without finger nails.

But I definitely have to work on my RH position, nails or no nails.

I thought I was more successful with the damping for Atoye, but did try to damp for Soleares also, but missed a few spots for sure.

Practice makes perfect ... and I certainly have a long way to go.

Judy

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:56 pm

Judy Verbeeten wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:54 pm
Sorry about the double post. Whenever I try and edit a post and resubmit it, I seem to be getting double posts. Clearly, I am doing something wrong.

Nelson Lee

D02 Classical guitar lesson 03 (Ken Kim)

Post by Nelson Lee » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:21 am

Dear Ken,

Nice job on the pieces. LH and RD looks wonderful... pinkly is bent. Guitar is held comfortably and is angled upright. You look quite professional and confident on these videos. Nice Job. Regards, Nelson.
Last edited by Nelson Lee on Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nelson Lee

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 03 (Judy Verberten)

Post by Nelson Lee » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:29 am

Judy,

Regarding your RH issue...... try a one hand clap with your right hand. You will find that your large knuckles will bend the most. This is how your picking should feel. I got this from the "this is classical guitar" website. I do the one hand clap all the time now in order to correct the way I pick. Hope this helps..... Regards, Nelson.
Last edited by Nelson Lee on Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”