D02 Classical guitar lesson 03

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Charles Cook
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 03

Post by Charles Cook » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:26 am

Ken - you’re smoking it as usual! Nice work. Love the sound you are producing. I should have something to post in a few days.

Charles
2017 Cordoba 20th Anniversary Guitar
1993 Jose Ramirez R2

Charles Cook

Post by Charles Cook » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:35 am

Judy- nice work. Your RH technique is much improved from lesson one. I admire your early posts. I don’t have the guts to post until the end of the week. I traveled a lot in October for work, but maybe I can get an early start on the next lesson!
Thank you for sharing.

Charles
1993 Jose Ramirez R2

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:11 am

Nelson Lee wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:21 am
Dear Ken,
Nice job on the pieces. LH and RD looks wonderful... pinkly is bent. Guitar is held comfortably and is angled upright. You look quite professional and confident on these videos. Nice Job. Regards, Nelson.
Charles Cook wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:26 am
Ken - you’re smoking it as usual! Nice work. Love the sound you are producing. I should have something to post in a few days.
Charles
Thank you both for nice word, Nelson and Charles.

Both pieces are all about index and thumb damping in my thought. A Toye introduced index damping while you are fretting other note. Soleares has many thumb damping for E(6th) and some triplets similar to tremolo. I'm getting used quite good for damping but still having hard time to do triplets with right tempo. I hope you both to get it right.
Of course, I look forward seeing your submissions for 3rd lesson.

Don't miss your daily practice and happy playing. :guitare:

Cheers,
Ken

Sore Fingers & Mind in heaven
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Robert England Hauser SP/F.Maple
Cordoba C12 SP* Rodriguez CD*Torres SP
Hill New World Player CD 615mm
Ryoji Matsuoka M60 SP '84
La Patrie Presentation CD
Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

Charles Cook

Post by Charles Cook » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:02 pm

I had a few technical issues with a new camera and microphone, so learning them with the guitar! Sorry about the audio quality - I didn't know I had a problem until reviewing the videos.

Atoye

Soleares
1993 Jose Ramirez R2

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:33 am

Charles Cook wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:02 pm
I had a few technical issues with a new camera and microphone, so learning them with the guitar! Sorry about the audio quality - I didn't know I had a problem until reviewing the videos.
Atoye
Soleares
Nicely played for both, Charles. Good steady tempo and legato also. Slow legato isn't easy but you are doing it. I like the tone production too.
Couple concerns about tempo and damping. I know you are getting faster than 1st lesson. It is quite mystery for me that you can't play D01 lessons in right tempo. Your sight reading and both hands look good enough to do D01 lessons in tempo but you can't yet. I just wonder why not...
Damping is very beneficial, when you play tunes in tempo, to make clean expression specially for Bass notes. It seems you don't damp open string as suggested. Just consider doing it for your future benefit. Once you start doing it, you'll see how important that is.

A toye introduced new index finger damping with a note from left hand.
Soleares has couple index finger dampings with a note and lots of thumb damping (E)6th strings within fast tempo.

Cheers,

Ken
Ken

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:16 pm

Charles Cook wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:02 pm
Well done Charles. Ken's constructive criticism vis-a-vis damping, highlights the need to improve on this technique, for both of us.

Judy

Charles Cook

Post by Charles Cook » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:22 pm

Couple concerns about tempo and damping. I know you are getting faster than 1st lesson. It is quite mystery for me that you can't play D01 lessons in right tempo. Your sight reading and both hands look good enough to do D01 lessons in tempo but you can't yet. I just wonder why not...
Damping is very beneficial, when you play tunes in tempo, to make clean expression specially for Bass notes. It seems you don't damp open string as suggested. Just consider doing it for your future benefit. Once you start doing it, you'll see how important that is.

Ken and Judy - Thank you for the feedback. I think my problem with tempo is my lack of practice prior to recording, especially with D01, where I have jumped into recording too soon. I struggle with finding time to work on the pieces inside the 7 day window. In fact, I had to stretch it to 2 weeks this time. Too many other things competing for my free time. I’ll try to do better on lesson 4.

Regarding damping, I wasn’t aware that I was missing some, so I’ll be more careful in the future. Happy Thanksgiving!
1993 Jose Ramirez R2

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:02 am

I found a charming piece from D02 book. I recorded this couple days ago and uploaded in recordings.
You all will play this eventually. Hope you enjoy as I did.

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=123831

Don't miss your daily practice. Enjoy playing :guitare:.
Ken

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:38 am

Ken Kim wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:02 am
I found a charming piece from D02 book. I recorded this couple days ago and uploaded in recordings.
You all will play this eventually. Hope you enjoy as I did.
Ken, I agree, this piece is beautiful. But you definitely bring the best out of it, with your excellent playing. Pleasure to listen to. Thank you for sharing.
Judy

Linda Kimbrel

Post by Linda Kimbrel » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:43 am

My submission for Atoye. I see now that I missed a damping or two so I may try to redo this. But first I have to get the other piece done. Still working on Soleares, which is giving me some difficulties. I haven’t successfully finished a complete recording of it, seems the closer I get to the end the harder it is to stay relaxed and on top of the score. Never had stage fright before but I think this is something similar. Camera shy?

Edit to this post to add submission of Soleares

Last edited by Linda Kimbrel on Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:05 am

Linda Kimbrel wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:43 am
My submission for Atoye. I see now that I missed a damping or two so I may try to redo this. But first I have to get the other piece done. Still working on Soleares, which is giving me some difficulties. I haven’t successfully finished a complete recording of it, seems the closer I get to the end the harder it is to stay relaxed and on top of the score. Never had stage fright before but I think this is something similar. Camera shy?
Hi, Linda.

Your video cut off as you mentioned. Don't be camera-shy because you are doing great. Enjoy all the moment with your guitar. Your music is fine. This is the place to make your music better to your ears, not to anybody else's. You are recording submissions for you and D02 student group. If you are satisfied with how you play now, use any observation as reference. I personally give you and other students my observation pretty pointy because I set high expectation for myself. For any of reason, if you are offended from my observation, let me know. No reason to offend someone who are enjoying their music. I don't mean to offend anybody for sure. I didn't get much pointy observation from anybody but from Nelson Lee for this year. It was really beneficial to me. I tried what he suggested and I did get better. We all are beginner before D04.

Here you go my observation.
A Toye is supposed to play with apoyando(rest stroke) for thumb and i-m-a, although you are playing with tirando(free stroke).
There are some strange tempo in the middle. I think you'd better play very slowly first within right tempo.
Your tone production(plucking) is too light and brittle to me. It does sound like steel string guitar. You are missing damping too. You are playing in tempo although syncopation didn't work well and tempo isn't steady specially around syncopation. I suggest you to do both D01 and D02 together. You are missing many elements from D01.
D01 looks easy but it isn't. Bradford Werner (www.thisisclassicalguitar.com) method book 1 was way easier than D01.

Don't miss your daily practice and enjoy playing :guitare:.

Cheers,
Ken

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:12 am

Just wanna drop in and say to a D01 student you D02 guys are a real inspiration!
Team Flesh

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:42 am

Christopher Langley wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:12 am
Just wanna drop in and say to a D01 student you D02 guys are a real inspiration!
Hi, Chris.

You have very blessing and active D01 group this year. Nevertheless, around 5th lesson, many students leave out of lesson with many reasons from our complicated life. I started pretty late just like you did early this year. A few people are still here to hang around; You and James in D01, and Mike and me in D02. It seems Mike got injured from motor cycle accident and not sure he'll be back before exam. It is just 3 Students from last year's lesson now. I'm so glad you stick around well. I will be here till 10th lesson this year, definitely.

Cheers,
Ken

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:43 pm

Ken Kim wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:05 am
If you are satisfied with how you play now, use any observation as reference. I personally give you and other students my observation pretty pointy because I set high expectation for myself. For any of reason, if you are offended from my observation, let me know. No reason to offend someone who are enjoying their music. I don't mean to offend anybody for sure. I didn't get much pointy observation from anybody but from Nelson Lee for this year. It was really beneficial to me. I tried what he suggested and I did get better. We all are beginner before D04.
Ken, I, for one, find your observations to be so helpful. I am very grateful that I am in your cohort for D02, so that I can benefit from your astute observations. You see and hear, a lot more, vis-a-vis students' submissions than I do. I actually also learn from your constructive criticisms of other students' submissions, as I have with your valuable advice to Linda.

As you have noted in another post, damping is a early playing skill emphasized by JFD. I wrote Bradford Werner and asked why, on his site, there was very little emphasis on damping. He kindly wrote back and said that he reserves the teaching of damping for intermediate players. While I must say, I find the need to damp notes, problematic (and annoying at times!), I can see the wisdom of introducing this requirement early on, so that it becomes second-nature as we progress as players.

Again, Ken, for me, go at it with respect to critiquing my playing. I know I will give you lots and lots of opportunities to do so, because my playing has a long way to go. But I appreciate the time you take to carefully evaluate the submissions.

Judy

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:50 pm

Judy Verbeeten wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:43 pm

Ken, I, for one, find your observations to be so helpful. I am very grateful that I am in your cohort for D02, so that I can benefit from your astute observations. You see and hear, a lot more, vis-a-vis students' submissions than I do. I actually also learn from your constructive criticisms of other students' submissions, as I have with your valuable advice to Linda.

As you have noted in another post, damping is a early playing skill emphasized by JFD. I wrote Bradford Werner and asked why, on his site, there was very little emphasis on damping. He kindly wrote back and said that he reserves the teaching of damping for intermediate players. While I must say, I find the need to damp notes, problematic (and annoying at times!), I can see the wisdom of introducing this requirement early on, so that it becomes second-nature as we progress as players.

Again, Ken, for me, go at it with respect to critiquing my playing. I know I will give you lots and lots of opportunities to do so, because my playing has a long way to go. But I appreciate the time you take to carefully evaluate the submissions.

Judy
Thank you much for kind word, Judy.

I don't think I'm fully right on what my observation says on anybody since I'm a D02 student just like you. I point things to people what I've said to myself in my standard. I feel exactly same as you that I also have a long way to go.
I find JFD method older style than modern method and it does suit me better for my goal. It is quite beneficial for beginner stage and very progressive method if you don't miss his intentions.

The words 'Learning music' doesn't suit well for adult learner. It is more like getting rid of bad habits one by one to me. We all had very enough life to enjoy various music. I'm sure every students here know what the music is about. All your music is tucked in with lots of bad habits. I set my goal or standard on specific tone, skill or posture and get helps from lots of YouTube videos, which stand as my standard. Then, start to determine what bad habits I have and compared mine to standard(musician I chose).

I've taught my 11 yrs old daughter CG which based on JFD method for about 6 months. I started teaching her with Suzuki method and she finished Vol.1. Now she is working on D01. She doesn't practice much like me and her posture doesn't satisfy me but she is progressing tho.

I'll give you my observation respectfully and continuously and your observation is very welcome.
Ken

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”