D02 Classical guitar lesson 03

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, VidΓ©os, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Linda Kimbrel
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 03

Post by Linda Kimbrel » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:47 am

Ken, I'm sorry we haven't given you much in the way of criticisms thus far. I can't speak for the others, but I have had very little to offer you as useful commentary - I am in awe of your playing and don't see how you could improve your sound or techniques. You have made a very wise observation, I think, that at this stage our biggest need is to unlearn old bad habits, and learn new, proper habits in their place. I also think you are correct that a review of D01 would be very helpful to me. I originally learned to play guitar on my own, like learning to read without knowing the alphabet. I should go back and see if I've missed any important musical vowels or consonants! I plan to start on that after the holiday crazy is over.

As Judy said, please continue with your pointy comments. I have great respect for your advice and insight and I will never take offense - I'm here because I want to learn and improve, same as the rest of you.
Linda K

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:39 pm

Linda Kimbrel wrote: ↑
Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:47 am
Ken, I'm sorry we haven't given you much in the way of criticisms thus far. I can't speak for the others, but I have had very little to offer you as useful commentary - I am in awe of your playing and don't see how you could improve your sound or techniques. You have made a very wise observation, I think, that at this stage our biggest need is to unlearn old bad habits, and learn new, proper habits in their place. I also think you are correct that a review of D01 would be very helpful to me. I originally learned to play guitar on my own, like learning to read without knowing the alphabet. I should go back and see if I've missed any important musical vowels or consonants! I plan to start on that after the holiday crazy is over.

As Judy said, please continue with your pointy comments. I have great respect for your advice and insight and I will never take offense - I'm here because I want to learn and improve, same as the rest of you.
Linda K
Hi, Linda.

Oh, wow. I feel very humble from your comments. I mean thank you much for compliment. I really wish someone other than us can help us improve, although self-analysis is the one of strong education tool. I'll keep it up with my observation for your progress.

Don't miss your daily practice and enjoy playing :guitare: :merci: .
Ken

Sore Fingers & Mind in heaven
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Robert England Hauser SP/F.Maple
Cordoba C12 SP* Rodriguez CD*Torres SP
Hill New World Player CD 615mm
Ryoji Matsuoka M60 SP '84
La Patrie Presentation CD
Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

Linda Kimbrel

Post by Linda Kimbrel » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:47 pm

I have here a second submissionbof Atoye where I have tried to address the points raised by Ken on damping and stroke and tone. I think the damping is improved but not optimal, and I am employing the rest stroke, even if it appears itherwise in places. On the tone and brittleness, I suspect this is partly an artifact from using an iPhone to record my playing. Not the ideal tool from a sound reproduction standpoint.

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:48 pm

Linda Kimbrel wrote: ↑
Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:47 pm
I have here a second submission of Atoye where I have tried to address the points raised by Ken on damping and stroke and tone. I think the damping is improved but not optimal, and I am employing the rest stroke, even if it appears otherwise in places. On the tone and brittleness, I suspect this is partly an artifact from using an iPhone to record my playing. Not the ideal tool from a sound reproduction standpoint.
I watched your Soleares and this Atoye. You definitely improved and I do like your Soleares. Great Spanish tempo and accent!
I suggest to purchase a mic for your iphone and put your mic or phone around bridge side for better bass sound.

Rode-IXYL-Condenser-Microphone-Cardioid $199 on Amazon would be my first choice for iphone recording setup.
If this is too much, I use Rode VideoMic Me; $48 on Amazon, because my phone is Galaxy S7.

I would prefer IXYL but it is for iphone only. I'm very satisfied with $48 VideoMicMe. Probably, it would be cheapest recording setup to get decent sound and video from Android phone.

Great job! I wish you can come back sooner. :bravo: :bye:
Ken

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

Nelson Lee

Post by Nelson Lee » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:43 am

Dear Group,

I apologize for my absence. I learnt Soleares completely wrong! And now I'm having BIG issues with relearning the piece with the right fingering....... Ugggghhh. I'll be more present after I do the recording. Regards, Nelson

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:25 am

Nelson Lee wrote: ↑
Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:43 am
Dear Group,

I apologize for my absence. I learnt Soleares completely wrong! And now I'm having BIG issues with relearning the piece with the right fingering....... Ugggghhh. I'll be more present after I do the recording. Regards, Nelson
:desole: Sorry to hear that, Nelson. It won't be that hard to correct fingerings, will it? Look forward to seeing your submissions soon.

Hi, all.

This is my final submission for 'Soleares'.
I've mixed with Rest and Free stroke and I can't hear big difference. :chaud:
I wonder if I pluck free stroke too strong. Better legato than first video, but I couldn't go faster.
This piece is most challenging for D02 so far. Now, I'll move on to lesson 5.
Any comments are welcome.

Don't miss your daily practice! Enjoy playing :guitare:!
Ken

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

Nelson Lee

Post by Nelson Lee » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:19 am

Dear Ken,

I messed up BIG time. I have the messed up fingering in my muscle memory and I have a mental block with the correction. I could just push it out.... but I just want to do my personal best with each piece. By the way, nice job on your recent pieces. Looks like your new guitar is serving you well. Looking forward to your comments soon. Regards, Nelson

Return to β€œOn-line classical guitar lessons”