D03 Classical guitar lesson 03

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Edna Lopez
Student of the online lessons

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 03

Post by Edna Lopez » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:52 am

Hello. Here is what I have so far. The Ligados are quite Des-Ligados still...

Edna Lopez

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:19 am

Here's my remaining posts, first attempts :

1989 Takamine C132S
Yamaha CG-100A

Nelson Lee

D03 Classical guitar lesson 03 (Tom Wimsatt)

Post by Nelson Lee » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:11 pm

Dear Tom,
Nice RH technique on the Valtz - fingers are relax and curved slightly, hand is shaped as holding an egg, and you are bending from the largest knuckles as if doing an one hand clap. Does you fingers feel more free and nimble? I was unable to observe your RH in the other videos because of the camera position, but I'm sure the RH is fine. Excellent job on the pieces, Tom. Regards, Nelson

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:47 pm

Hi Nelson, thanks for listening. I've got a long way to go on RH technique, but I'm slowly working it. Relaxation helps with freedom of movement and agility. Tense fingers simply slow things down, as you know. I'm thinking it will also help with technique issues you noted earlier, in particular bending the finger tips versus knuckles. As longs as the sound quality is right, I feel like I'm on the right track.
1989 Takamine C132S
Yamaha CG-100A

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:59 pm

Edna Lopez wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:52 am
Hello. Here is what I have so far. The Ligados are quite Des-Ligados still...
Hi Edna. Nice playing on all pieces. The grace note you played on the Paganini Waltz piece sounded like an (open) E-F versus a G-F? I like the sound whatever you did. Nice touch.
1989 Takamine C132S
Yamaha CG-100A

Nelson Lee

D03 Classical guitar lesson 03 (Edna Lopez)

Post by Nelson Lee » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:42 am

Dear Edna,

I like the way you played Greenselves. Very mellow. And like Tom, you have long fingers that gives you a good reach and looks elegant as they move from note to note. Do you feel like it's still a challenge to reach for those bass notes at times? Just wondering.....

Nice job, and I look forward to hearing you play again.

Regards, Nelson.

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:04 pm

Edna - very nice.

On the slurs, it looks like you are pulling down (correct) and then pulling away.You may want to try the exercise with just pulling down and leaving the finger resting on the string. That will reduce unneeded movement and reduce the stress on the fingers.

Loved the graceful playing of Greensleeves.

Ed

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:11 pm

Ton -

See my comment on Edna's slurs, you are doing similar movement. If you watch the instructor he has very little movement.

On Greensleeves, I liked your playing B on the 4th fret instead of the open string for measure 13. It had a better sound. Probably a holdover for BORU's MARCH.

Ed

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:39 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:11 pm
Ton -

See my comment on Edna's slurs, you are doing similar movement. If you watch the instructor he has very little movement.

On Greensleeves, I liked your playing B on the 4th fret instead of the open string for measure 13. It had a better sound. Probably a holdover for BORU's MARCH.

Ed
Ed, thanks for the feedback. You are right, I've got to work on my technique. In particular if I need to play them in rapid succession.
1989 Takamine C132S
Yamaha CG-100A

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:02 pm

Tom

Having been trying this for a week. It is extremely difficult especially with the pinkie.

Ed

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:31 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:02 pm
Tom

Having been trying this for a week. It is extremely difficult especially with the pinkie.

Ed
Hey Ed. I thought about this and maybe you should try this as sort of an intermediate practice strategy. Try placing your "a" finger at the first fret instead of the index finger. Position the wrist to whatever it takes to make it comfortable to work your pinky. You can even reduce string tension if it makes it easier. The goal is to "learn" the pulloff motion. Then work your way up from there in terms of difficulty.

I'm thinking about this as I sit in my hotel room, I don't have a guitar with me. So I apologize if this is a terrible idea. :oops:
1989 Takamine C132S
Yamaha CG-100A

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:57 pm

Hi Tom

My pull-off with the pinky is adequate. The challenge is leaving the pinky on the lower string when you try pulling off the ring finger. The pinky wants to pull off the lower string. So I am working the other way, practicing pulling off the second finger, leaving it on the lower string then pulling off the first finger. When I get that OK, then I add the third finger to the mix. Then the pinky.

I hope the hotel room is vacation. For 35 years I traveled 200 days a year for work, so I lived out of hotel rooms 5 days a week.

Ed

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:14 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:57 pm
Hi Tom

My pull-off with the pinky is adequate. The challenge is leaving the pinky on the lower string when you try pulling off the ring finger. The pinky wants to pull off the lower string. So I am working the other way, practicing pulling off the second finger, leaving it on the lower string then pulling off the first finger. When I get that OK, then I add the third finger to the mix. Then the pinky.

I hope the hotel room is vacation. For 35 years I traveled 200 days a year for work, so I lived out of hotel rooms 5 days a week.

Ed
Great. Sounds like you have a plan. :bravo:

Yes, it's vacation. 200 days a year! Wow you were on the road! I'm glad you are enjoying your well -deserved retirement :D
1989 Takamine C132S
Yamaha CG-100A

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:04 pm

Rough First attempts

Scales

Slurs - that pesky pinky will not stay down after the pull-off

PAGANINI VALTZ - need to work on making it sound like a Waltz

Greensleeves - the notes are OK, but need to work on tone and flow - I will come back to this after attempting PONTKALLEG amd BORU's MARCH

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:24 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:04 pm
Rough First attempts
Scales
Slurs - that pesky pinky will not stay down after the pull-off
PAGANINI VALTZ - need to work on making it sound like a Waltz
Greensleeves - the notes are OK, but need to work on tone and flow - I will come back to this after attempting PONTKALLEG amd BORU's MARCH
Hi Ed, I thought you played pretty well! I know there were some stumbles along the way, but what I noticed most was that the Waltz, Greensleeves, & Paganini piece tempos still came through pretty well. Tempo always seemed to give you problems in the past. Those stumbles will get worked out with practice.

Don't forget the note durations on the scales. I think you were basically working on hitting the notes, which you did quite well. I do the same thing by the way. It's fun too.

Have fun with PONTKALLEG and BORU's MARCH. Keep up the good work. :guitare:
1989 Takamine C132S
Yamaha CG-100A

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”