D03 Classical guitar lesson 03

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Ed Butler
Student of the online lessons

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 03

Post by Ed Butler » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:56 pm

Hi Tom - thanks. I have been diligent with the metronome during my practice . That is helped a great deal with the tempo. Now I need to work on the tone. I tore all my nails helping my sister take out 15 azela bushes. Slowly they will grow back.

Ed

OlgaVovk

Post by OlgaVovk » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:49 am

Hi Edna,
I do love your gammas and the valtz.
In your playing I can hear the assurance and tone of the musician who know what she is doing.
Thank you for yoru videos.
Best,
Olga

OlgaVovk

Post by OlgaVovk » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:04 am

Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:19 am
Here's my remaining posts, first attempts :

Hi Tom,
A very nice scale.Very vigorous playing.

And I love the tone of your guitar.
Thank you!
Olga

OlgaVovk

Post by OlgaVovk » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:10 am

Dear all,
Below are my 3 videos.
I was busy last week and actually did not practice,
So my progress for this lesson is a slow one

Gammas (scales)
Fa major
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEjhqqsblmU

Re minor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yss-BQWSRxQ

And Greensleeves, the first part
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvbXRY0IvGE

Thank you for your fine playing,
It encourages me to practice more :-)

Olga

OlgaVovk

Post by OlgaVovk » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:17 am

And as promiced ealier,
attached is my work with Greensleeves in terms of fimgering, phrases, dinamics, etc.
Green sleevs notes numbers fingers.JPG
Thank you,
Olga
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:19 pm

Very rough first attempt at PONTKALLEG - notes sound cut off - need to really work on the flow of tone from note to note.

Charles Cook

Post by Charles Cook » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:13 pm

I experienced some difficulty with the quality of these recordings due to a new camera and microphone only to discover after the fact. I'll figure that out for next time.

F Major Scale

Slurs

Greensleeves

Valtz
2017 Cordoba 20th Anniversary Guitar
1993 Jose Ramirez R2

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:44 pm

Charles Cook wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:13 pm
I experienced some difficulty with the quality of these recordings due to a new camera and microphone only to discover after the fact. I'll figure that out for next time.

F Major Scale

Slurs

Greensleeves

Valtz
Charles
Your "recording quality" issue gave your uploads an interesting sort of vintage/Victrola sound. I thought it was kind of neat. Nice work, and very nice playing. Especially Greensleeves, your tempo sounded right on target for that piece in my opinion.

Compare your pull-off movements on the Slurs with the instructor video. Ed noted after watching mine (I've got the same issue), I have excessive pull-off movement. You appear to have a similar issue. If you watch the instructor he has very little movement.

I'm working on this and hopefully it will get easier with practice....
1989 Takamine C132S
Yamaha CG-100A

OlgaVovk

Post by OlgaVovk » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:54 pm

Hi Charles
Charles Cook wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:13 pm
I belive it is a very nice playing. And I love your Greensleeves, I agree with Tom "your tempo sounded right on target".
Thank you!
Olga

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:57 pm

OlgaVovk wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:17 am
And as promiced ealier,
attached is my work with Greensleeves in terms of fimgering, phrases, dinamics, etc.
Thank you,
Olga
Olga, I will give your playing method noted in the picture a try. One question: the arced lines above the measures. Are those meant to indicate subsections of the piece? What do you do with those, vary tempo, volume, etc.,? Thanks.

I'm still fooling around with Brian Boru's March, to the point of overthinking this thing...... The first line of the piece has a very nice fingering progression, the fingers almost fall into position. I am slowly making my way through the rest of the piece, trying to obtain the same sort of fingering result. :roll:
1989 Takamine C132S
Yamaha CG-100A

OlgaVovk

Post by OlgaVovk » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:01 am

Hi
Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:57 pm

Olga, I will give your playing method noted in the picture a try. One question: the arced lines above the measures. Are those meant to indicate subsections of the piece? What do you do with those, vary tempo, volume, etc.,? Thanks.

I'm still fooling around with Brian Boru's March, to the point of overthinking this thing...... The first line of the piece has a very nice fingering progression, the fingers almost fall into position. I am slowly making my way through the rest of the piece, trying to obtain the same sort of fingering result. :roll:

The arched lines are phrases.
and Yes, I use those to vary tempo, volume. The same way as you use phrases in speaking and singing.
You can alo notice that in each phraset I also mark the highhest and lowest notes.
I learned that way of thinking about the piece of music only a few years ago
And since, I found it the most helpful in terms of undertsnding the music.
While I am doing this analysi (and it is the first thing that I do when I start a new piece) it helps so much.
It makes the music to un-fold for me.

And good luck with Brian Boru's March.
I amlooking forward to see/hear you performing :-)

Best,
Olga

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:54 am

My attempt at Maro Pontkalleg. My chords sound "tinny". Gotta work on that.
1989 Takamine C132S
Yamaha CG-100A

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:07 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:19 pm
Very rough first attempt at PONTKALLEG - notes sound cut off - need to really work on the flow of tone from note to note.
Hi Ed. I'm betting you could fix/improve the flow if you spend another week on this one. I could tell the fingernail loss gave you trouble with the chords at the end. My fake thumbnail gave me fits (a plastic nail against the strings makes for a tinny sound I believe), so maybe the best thing to do is to just let them grow back out. And WEAR GLOVES next time :D

I think this piece was more difficult than it looked, and it took me longer to smooth things out than I originally thought it would. I'm still working on my version, my post (right below yours) is a little rough around the edges yet. Since you were out of town and missed some practice time, you may want to focus on this one versus diving into Brian Boru's March (after all, they're optional....) Or maybe try working on the first half instead of trying to master the whole thing.

In any event, I see an amazing improvement over last year! :bravo:
1989 Takamine C132S
Yamaha CG-100A

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:30 pm

Hi Tom - well done. I like your facial expressions when you hit a wrong note, but then you just keep right on going, which is great. I usually freeze if I hit something glaringly wrong.

My focus for the next 2 weeks is to get a smoother sounding Greensleeves, a 1/2 smoother version of Pontkalleg (agree with your recommendation), and a first attempt at the March - knowing that it will only be a "hitting the note/chord" exercise, then actually making music.

Ed

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:35 am

Here's a first attempt. I've revised the proposed fingering posted a week or so ago. Go to that post to see the update if you want to try it.

1989 Takamine C132S
Yamaha CG-100A

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”