D02 Classical guitar lesson 04

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D02 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:35 pm

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D02.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

First we will study some technical exercises from volume D02.
- page 75 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) GAMMES - SCALE - SCALES – ESCALAS
numbers 9, 10 and 12. Be sure to damp the notes properly in the descending passages. To damp the notes in the descending passages: lean the fingers of the left hand against the vibrating strings. Work on controlling the volume by playing crescendo and decrescendo.

Next we'll work on two pieces by Carulli:
- pages 22-23 Ferdinando CARULLI (1770-1841) ARPEGGI DI TRE NOTE
ARPEGGI DI TRE NOTE consists of three sections of eight bars each, the third section being identical to the first. Thus it has an A-B-A structure, also called ternary form.

- page 50 Ferdinand CARULLI (1770-1841) VALSE en la majeur
There are numerous repetitions, so vary the tone colour to avoid monotony. To obtain different tone colours, play:
- over the soundhole (the sound volume is at its best here and you get a good balance between the bass and treble notes);
- over the fingerboard (the sound here is softer, closer to the that of a clarinet, and the basses are softened);
- near the bridge (the sound here is more metallic, and becomes close to that of the harpsichord, the basses are strengthened and the trebles weakened).

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and pieces for one week and then to post your recordings on the forum for:
- page 75 number 10 Scale of E minor with crescendo and decrescendo
- pages 22-23 Ferdinando CARULLI (1770-1841) ARPEGGI DI TRE NOTE
- page 50 Ferdinand CARULLI (1770-1841) VALSE en la majeur

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

Scale of E minor with crescendo and decrescendo
ARPEGGI DI TRE NOTE
VALSE en la majeur
:( + ♫ = :)

Ken Kim
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Ken Kim » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:46 pm

Hi, all.

Here are my 2 sumissions and I'm still working on Carulli Valse. It isn't easy to move RH freely from fret-board to near-bridge. I'll give a little more time to it and also working on Soleares with mixed stroke(rest and free). I'll post both pieces in about a week.

Arpegi Di Tre Note A - Maestro Delcamp missed a damping sign on measure #11. I think Open D from measure #10 need to be damped with thumb, which I've done.

Any comments are welcome.

Don't miss your daily practice and enjoy playing :guitare:.
Ken

Sore Fingers & Mind in heaven
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Robert England Hauser SP/F.Maple
Cordoba C12 SP* Rodriguez CD*Torres SP
Hill New World Player CD 615mm
Ryoji Matsuoka M60 SP '84
La Patrie Presentation CD
Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

Charles Cook

Post by Charles Cook » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:19 pm

Very nice work Ken! I like the tone and fluid tempo. I have seen a few missing damping marks too.

I had planned to post early, but I broke my M fingernail while working outside. Makes for some challenging practice! So, I'm patiently waiting for it to grow back out.
2017 Cordoba 20th Anniversary Guitar
1993 Jose Ramirez R2

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:51 pm

Charles Cook wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:19 pm
Very nice work Ken! I like the tone and fluid tempo. I have seen a few missing damping marks too.

I had planned to post early, but I broke my M fingernail while working outside. Makes for some challenging practice! So, I'm patiently waiting for it to grow back out.
Thank you, Charles!

Sorry to hear you broke M nail.
You can use cheap plain nail tips with nail glue if you don't have a pain and show no flesh. It stayed at least for a week in my experience although your own nail definitely sounds better than plastic nail tip.

I use Sally Hansen Hard as Nail top coat for all RH nail tips. Just one coat each and good for 2 weeks. I never broke my nail since I've used this top coat. Take your time to regrow.
Ken

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

Charles Cook

Post by Charles Cook » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:12 pm

Thank you, Charles!

Sorry to hear you broke M nail.
You can use cheap plain nail tips with nail glue if you don't have a pain and show no flesh. It stayed at least for a week in my experience although your own nail definitely sounds better than plastic nail tip.

I use Sally Hansen Hard as Nail top coat for all RH nail tips. Just one coat each and good for 2 weeks. I never broke my nail since I've used this top coat. Take your time to regrow.
[/quote]

Thank you for the Sally Hansen Hard tip. I’ll start looking for it.

Lucky for me, the nail broke just before where it attaches to the skin. Whet guitar are you playing on these posts?
2017 Cordoba 20th Anniversary Guitar
1993 Jose Ramirez R2

Linda Kimbrel

Post by Linda Kimbrel » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:07 pm

I may not get anything posted for this month’s lesson. We had a pretty major tornado in Taylorville over the weekend that did considerable damage to my daughter’s home. Everyone was safe in the neighbor’s basement thankfully no injuries. I’m also part of the county damage assessment team so have been really tied up since then and for a while yet to come. We shall see. 30 tornados state wide, 6 confirmed in our county. I did get that new great granddaughter last month, by the way. Very sweet, mom and baby are doing well.

Ken, excellent work as usual. You might perhaps try holding your tongue a little more to the right and see if that helps the tone any. :lol: Very pleasant to the ear, I enjoy listening to your playing.

Charles, nail injuries can be painful, hope it didn’t get into the quick. Good luck with that.

Linda K

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:25 pm

Charles Cook wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:12 pm
Thank you for the Sally Hansen Hard tip. I’ll start looking for it.

Lucky for me, the nail broke just before where it attaches to the skin. Whet guitar are you playing on these posts?
Great and lucky you didn't hurt your finger skin.
It is Robert England Hauser SP/Maple. I ordered this in March this year. Finally got it about a week ago.
I made a thread for it. Have a look!
https://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/ ... 7&t=123990

Linda Kimbrel wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:07 pm
I may not get anything posted for this month’s lesson. We had a pretty major tornado in Taylorville over the weekend that did considerable damage to my daughter’s home. Everyone was safe in the neighbor’s basement thankfully no injuries. I’m also part of the county damage assessment team so have been really tied up since then and for a while yet to come. We shall see. 30 tornados state wide, 6 confirmed in our county. I did get that new great granddaughter last month, by the way. Very sweet, mom and baby are doing well.
Ken, excellent work as usual. You might perhaps try holding your tongue a little more to the right and see if that helps the tone any. :lol: Very pleasant to the ear, I enjoy listening to your playing.
Charles, nail injuries can be painful, hope it didn’t get into the quick. Good luck with that.
Linda K
I'm so sorry to hear about tornado. It is blessing nobody got injured. Oh man, you will get really busy with all the assessments.
Congratulation for new-born! great grand-daughter and it is another blessing that both mom and daughter are well.

I love the tongue trick, lol. Thank you for stopping by to leave a comment and very appreciated on your kind word.
I wish everything will be better sooner.

Cheers,
Ken

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:11 am

Hi, all.
Here I go my submission for 3rd piece.
It wasn't easy to make legato for this simple Waltz and I tried to pluck different from mf to p. It didn't show much difference on articulation. I tried hard but it seems it will take long time to get bold difference.
Any comments are welcome. Now back to work on 'Soleares'.

Don't miss your daily practice and enjoy playing :guitare:.

Cheers,
Ken

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:26 pm

Ken Kim wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:11 am

Here I go my submission for 3rd piece.

Cheers,
As per usual Ken, your submissions are excellent. For your playing of Valse en la majeur, you also incorporated movement of your right hand up and down from the guitar's sound hole, clearly to achieve a different sound result. Did this shifting assist you in achieving the sound effect you were seeking? It sounded pretty darn good to me. I would appreciate your comments on that technique.

Great work as usual. Judy

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:09 pm

Please find my submissions for Lesson 4 below.

In my humble opinion, it is strikingly apparent that Ken sets the standard of excellence, while my playing, undoubtedly provides a decidedly more average level of competency (and that's being generous!). Notwithstanding this reality, and the fact that our competencies definitely differ, I am convinced that our level of enthusiasm is exactly the same. (But alas, too bad you don't get marks for enthusiasm!!)

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:59 pm

Judy Verbeeten wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:09 pm
Please find my submissions for Lesson 4 below.

In my humble opinion, it is strikingly apparent that Ken sets the standard of excellence, while my playing, undoubtedly provides a decidedly more average level of competency (and that's being generous!). Notwithstanding this reality, and the fact that our competencies definitely differ, I am convinced that our level of enthusiasm is exactly the same.
Wow, Judy.
Great job! Your playing have progressed enormously. I can see your hard work thru these submissions.
Steady tempo without cut-off. Even tone production sounds nice with continued sustain.
Your RH position got better along with tone.

Scales : I would suggest to use metronome while practicing scales. You might need to pluck rest stroke faster than now. Your rest stroke pluck too slow for each; I meant a moment that you touch and leave the string. This one stroke procedure is too slow to produce fuller sound than free stroke. LH fretting need to stay a tad longer before you move to next note to make smooth legato. You prepare too fast to move next note and it resulted cut-off and sound like staccato.

Arpegio di tre note A : Beautifully played. I started to learn CG because I love arpeggio. Your arpeggio sound terrific with beautiful tone. Just one concern that bass sound is too weak. I understand this might be due to mic sensitivity. I think this is your best submission so far.

F.Carulli Valse en la majeur : Good steady tempo. Waltz usually provided with 3 beats(1,2,3). First note from each measure should be stronger than other notes such as Strong1, soft2, soft3 repeatedly. Again, I barely hear your bass notes. Arpegio di tre note had better tone production. You played a wrong note on measure#18 and #22 which is not natural f, but #f.

*About 'sul tasto' and 'sul ponticello', I did sul tasto only and didn't do 'sul ponticello', because didn't like its dry and brittle sound. 'sul tasto' is really bell-like sound. It was fun to learn but not easy to move freely with my RH.

Although I know it is too much, Consider thumb damping bass notes.
You did great and I gave you my observation with more details.

You can have better advices from Tutor Rick Beauregard. I think you have to ask him to get his observation, personally.

Don't miss your daily practice and enjoy music :guitare:. :bravo:

Cheers,
Ken

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:16 pm

Ken Kim wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:59 pm

Scales
Arpegio di tre note A
F.Carulli Valse en la majeur
Don't miss your daily practice and enjoy music :guitare:. :bravo:
Ken, thank you so much for the detailed constructive analysis. Gives me direction on what to work on. Thank you again.

Judy

Nelson Lee

Post by Nelson Lee » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:46 am

Dear Group,

I apologize for my absence. I learnt Soleares completely wrong! And now I'm having BIG issues with relearning the piece with the right fingering....... Ugggghhh. I'll be more present after I do the recording. Regards, Nelson

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”