D01 Classical guitar lesson 05

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Judy Verbeeten
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:39 pm

Michael McClenney wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:58 am
Here's my Lesson 5 submission:
Michael, I agree with the others' assessment. Excellent submission, with nice fluidity and soiid form. Well done.

Judy

Graham Gaya

Post by Graham Gaya » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:39 am

Hi Team,
Here are my lesson 5 submissions, later than i would have preferred but here it goes!! Some items i wanted to pay attention to this lesson were: 1. Left hand thumb behind the neck 2. playing louder and not too soft and 3. using the metronome. Item #3 did not work out very well but will continue to incorporate into practice. Damping was a challenge also in this lesson and will be looking to practice it more.

D01 L05 Exercises De Simple Alernation N1

D01 L05 Exercises De Simple Alternation N2

D01 L05 Polyphonie N2

D01 L05 Antonio CANO Curriella Leccion 1

Jono Diel

Post by Jono Diel » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:16 am

Nice submission Graham. Keep up the good work!

Aaron Haskett

Post by Aaron Haskett » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:25 pm

That sounds great Graham! The only thing my untrained ear could pick up was on D01 L05 Polyphonie N2 it sounded like you were damping just a bit early. You mentioned that damping was a challenge for you in this lesson, so you probably already know this. Your last one (Antonio Cano-Curriella Leccion 1) was beautiful.
-Aaron

Cordoba C3M

Graham Gaya

Post by Graham Gaya » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:23 am

Thanks Juno, much appreciated, you are one of the pace setters for the class and enjoying seeing you play.

Good callout Aaron. Yeah, the damping is one but to crack, just not there yet. That and trying to keep the right beat, I often start out well with the metronome but can't sustain. Thank you for taking the time to share your observations.

Paul Cezanne

Post by Paul Cezanne » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:31 pm

I'm having a great deal of difficulty with Page 58, Lesson 15

You can see I can do it with free stroke, but when I go to do with rest stroke it just goes bad.

I think my fingers are getting too enthusiastic and damping the other string, but I also just can't seem to start them at the same time. I even just miss the string sometimes.

I've only been at this a few days so maybe I just need time, but it is frustrating.
--
Repeat student D01, Student D02

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:25 pm

Paul Cezanne wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:31 pm
I'm having a great deal of difficulty with Page 58, Lesson 15

You can see I can do it with free stroke, but when I go to do with rest stroke it just goes bad.

I think my fingers are getting too enthusiastic and damping the other string, but I also just can't seem to start them at the same time. I even just miss the string sometimes.

I've only been at this a few days so maybe I just need time, but it is frustrating.
Hi Paul,

It's evident you are struggling a bit with this. First of all, in the beginning of the video, you are raising up your hand when you attack the strings. Your hand should not being moving at all. You should pull your fingers in at the top joint, as if making a fist. Try playing just open strings and look at your hand to ensure it's not jumping around. It took me awhile to get this under control and I still make the mistake at times.

My other suggestion would be for your thumb rest strokes, arch your wrist up and make your attack more gentle initially until you get comfortable with it. Arching the wrist up definitely helps with the thumb attack. You'll get it. Just keep practicing.

Bill :D
1965 Seizo Shinano No 93
1969 Sakazo Nakade No 1000G
1971 Mitsuru Tamura No 600
2010 Hiroshi Komori No 35

Paul Cezanne

Post by Paul Cezanne » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:17 am

William Byrd wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:25 pm

It's evident you are struggling a bit with this. First of all, in the beginning of the video, you are raising up your hand when you attack the strings. Your hand should not being moving at all. You should pull your fingers in at the top joint, as if making a fist. Try playing just open strings and look at your hand to ensure it's not jumping around. It took me awhile to get this under control and I still make the mistake at times.

My other suggestion would be for your thumb rest strokes, arch your wrist up and make your attack more gentle initially until you get comfortable with it. Arching the wrist up definitely helps with the thumb attack. You'll get it. Just keep practicing.

Bill :D
Great observations, thanks!

The wrist naturally arches when you play guitar in the traditional manner. I lost this going vertically and this is one of the side affects. I'll try an arch this evening. The hand movement, yeah, I never noticed that, but I will pay attention from now on.

Thanks!
--

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:03 pm

Important: everyone please read this post viewtopic.php?f=41&t=54023&start=1110#p1346327

Aaron Haskett

Post by Aaron Haskett » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:30 pm

This lesson's been a little discouraging so far, Antonio CANO Curriella Leccion 1 has proven to be very challenging for me, even if I slow it way down I fumble a couple times every playthrough. Hoping it'll get better after some more practice.
-Aaron

Cordoba C3M

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:54 am

Aaron Haskett wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:30 pm
This lesson's been a little discouraging so far, Antonio CANO Curriella Leccion 1 has proven to be very challenging for me, even if I slow it way down I fumble a couple times every playthrough. Hoping it'll get better after some more practice.
Aaron

Do not get discouraged. That piece is a steep jump in difficulty.

Take it slow and one phrase at a time and one note at a time. You will get it!
My name is mud.

Aaron Haskett

Post by Aaron Haskett » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:23 pm

Christopher Langley wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:54 am
Aaron

Do not get discouraged. That piece is a steep jump in difficulty.

Take it slow and one phrase at a time and one note at a time. You will get it!
Thanks Christopher, I'm sticking with it.
-Aaron

Cordoba C3M

Paul Cezanne

Post by Paul Cezanne » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:32 pm

Aaron, you'd better not pass me. LOL, we're all pulling for each other. Go man go!

As for me, going vertical let me get real lazy about the right hand position. William pointed this out above. My body's aliments don't need vertical, they just need the left foot to be on the floor. So I went back to playing "normal" with a guitar rest. Wow, what a change. I couldn't play anything for a few days. But also, what a difference in the right hand! The curl that William wanted was easy now, I just rested my forearm on the body of the guitar and I got the curl. The part I was having trouble with seemed slightly easier.

But... and there's always a but.

Now my right hand has to curl around more, and yes, you guess, wrist pain. This isn't surprising. I've been using computers for 40+ years (yeah that's not a typo) and I get wrist pain. I can't play piano for more than 2 minutes. Vertical, no pain. But also, the Lesson 5 pieces are harder. So after about of not doing vertical I went back to vertical today, but I'm also trying to remember the right hand arch.

No left hand wrist pain. But also no progress. These pieces are hard!
--

Paul Cezanne

Post by Paul Cezanne » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:34 pm

William Byrd wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:25 pm
You should pull your fingers in at the top joint, as if making a fist. Try playing just open strings and look at your hand to ensure it's not jumping around. It took me awhile to get this under control and I still make the mistake at times.
When I do that I tend to make a free stroke, not a rest stroke. Any pointers?
--

Paul Cezanne

Post by Paul Cezanne » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:35 pm

Aaron Haskett wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:30 pm
Yeah, don't get discouraged, it is worth it.

Besides, next September we're are so going to be kicking *** and taking names when we re-do Year 1 and we're going to be so ahead of others when we do Year 2. We'll be classical guitar gods.
--

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”