D01 Classical guitar lesson 06

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
User avatar
Mike Cook
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 190
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:28 pm
Location: Mason, Michigan, USA

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by Mike Cook » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:24 pm

Nicely done Mike. You're a wealth of information and I like that you share it on this forum. BTW...I really enjoyed your rendition of Andantino as well. Beautifully played. It is also one of my favorite Carulli pieces and something I've been working on for a few weeks.

Bill

Thanks Bill! BTW, Fernando Sor's birthday is tomorrow. He was born on Feb. 13, 1778. We have one of his pieces (Lecon, Opus 60) in our assignment this month too.

Mike
2019 Elias Bonet Monne Traditional Cedar/Green Ebony
2017 Cordoba 20th Anniversary Guitar
1993 Jose Ramirez R2
2008 Fender Strat, Eric Johnson Signature Model
1966 Gibson Melodymaker
2013 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe EC Studio

Jono Diel
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:37 am

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by Jono Diel » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:43 pm

Graham Gaya wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:25 am
Chris, Judy, Jono - awesome job keeping the bar high with lightining speed submissions and very good playing. I feel like i am constantly behind playing catch up, need some of your time management skills!!!

Chris and Jono really smooth playing. One request is perhaps adjust your camera angle a little bit so we have a better view of that is happening with the right hand, kind of like the angle Judy has. I am struggling with the right hand finger placement and seeing how others are playing helps.

Judy really good job hitting the notes. I haven't gotten this far yet, however on Ricecar score, its calling for rest stroke - from what I saw, you played the piece with the free strokes.

Way to set the pace!
Ill keep that in mind, Graham. I gotta change the angles next time. Thank you!


Bill, the case you recommended arrived today. Very nicely built, and it fits perfectly! Thanks for the recommendation!

Jono

User avatar
James A. Showalter
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 423
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:20 pm
Location: Mississippi

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by James A. Showalter » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:58 am

Greetings fellow students.

Here are my submissions for Lesson-6.

Scales in 3rd:


Ricercar:


Fernando Sor, Lecon-1 opus 60:


James
1972 Morris No. 12
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka, No. 20
1979 Yamaha C300
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Martin Guitars (MC28, D12-28, J40)
National Resonator Guitar
Les Paul 1960 reissue

User avatar
Christopher Langley
Posts: 1002
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:59 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by Christopher Langley » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:11 am

James A. Showalter wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:58 am
Greetings fellow students.

Here are my submissions for Lesson-6.

Scales in 3rd:


Ricercar:


Fernando Sor, Lecon-1 opus 60:


James
Good submissions James. Getting better.

Your timing needs work. You speed up and slow down and don't always play even.

Slow work with a metronome would help. Also you might consider memorizing the pieces. Both help me to play smoothly. If I can't play it slow and even, I dont bother speeding up.

Some people struggle more with keeping time. You might try counting.

Anyways. Good submissions, you are making progress but I think past this point you should focus on your timing issues before moving forward any further.

You might step all the way back to Old McD if you really want to correct the issue.

It's so easy to move forward before we are ready.

It's also easy to not practice. I've been bad the past several days.

You've gotta be able to do simple things slow and smooth and even. Before you can attempt to do more complex things at higher speeds or you will always play choppy.

Keep at it.

P.s. your posture seems much improved and just generally everything. Your timing was even better. I just wanna lend a critical ear. I know it sucks, but helps.
Cordoba CP110

William Byrd
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 383
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:42 am
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by William Byrd » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:12 am

Jono Diel wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:43 pm
Graham Gaya wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:25 am
Chris, Judy, Jono - awesome job keeping the bar high with lightining speed submissions and very good playing. I feel like i am constantly behind playing catch up, need some of your time management skills!!!

Chris and Jono really smooth playing. One request is perhaps adjust your camera angle a little bit so we have a better view of that is happening with the right hand, kind of like the angle Judy has. I am struggling with the right hand finger placement and seeing how others are playing helps.

Judy really good job hitting the notes. I haven't gotten this far yet, however on Ricecar score, its calling for rest stroke - from what I saw, you played the piece with the free strokes.

Way to set the pace!
Ill keep that in mind, Graham. I gotta change the angles next time. Thank you!


Bill, the case you recommended arrived today. Very nicely built, and it fits perfectly! Thanks for the recommendation!

Jono
Good to hear you like the case. My sales engineer at Sweetwater was the one that originally recommended that particular case to me. I never looked back and it's all I order now.

Bill
1969 Sakazo Nakade No 1000 G
1971 Mitsuru Tamura No 600
1973 Rokutaro Nakade A50
1977 Kazuo Yairi YC90

User avatar
James A. Showalter
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 423
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:20 pm
Location: Mississippi

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by James A. Showalter » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:17 pm

Chris,
Thank you for your critical review. I agree with everything you've said except the following:
I know it sucks
Because it doesn't.

This begs at why are we doing this? Of course we all have our own goals and intentions. I've always wanted to play guitar and dabbled with it over the course of my life when I found the time. Now I have the time and am devoted to it. But I could practice more and force myself to use a metronome to remedy my timing issues. That's the hard part and I'm not sure I'm up to it. I am enjoying myself and keeping my mind focused on an effort that I hope will help maintain some mental acuity as I continue into my retirement years. Now to clear the air I will state outright that I am a difficult personality. I recognize talent and realize that I do not have it. What I've observed in my life is that talented people don't always apply themselves because they don't have to. They write their own rules which is often to their own detriment. As a non-talented person I can only hope to follow the rules and thereby progress even if it means pushing hard and then repeating the effort. I appreciate your critical review and know that what you are saying is correct. So somewhere between the rules, the lesson format and the special effort that must be exerted to make us achieve our self-imposed standard is the musician we will become.

It's always a pleasure.
James
1972 Morris No. 12
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka, No. 20
1979 Yamaha C300
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Martin Guitars (MC28, D12-28, J40)
National Resonator Guitar
Les Paul 1960 reissue

Jono Diel
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:37 am

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by Jono Diel » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:10 pm

Great tones youve produced, James! For timing, I just count outloud 1& 2 etc... when learning a new piece. I do my best not to listen/watch the videos of the pieces in the beginning of the learning process and rely on my own counting. Once I got familiarized with the beat and notes that is when I start to watch the videos of maestro Delcamp to see if I got it right.

Also I wanted to share this video Ive just started to watch and learn from.



It comes in a series of 7 vids on how to tackle a new piece. Hope it helps everyone.

Jono

Ed Butler
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 546
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:46 am
Location: Plymouth, MA, USA

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by Ed Butler » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:39 pm

James - speaking from another "untalented" musician, now, through sheer force, at the D03 level (albeit, a student with more faults than others at D03 level), I can say you are doing great. I also took it up from scratch a couple of years ago when I retired. And one of the bigger challenges for me, and still is is the tempo/counting. My metronome adds too much pressure so I am always off the beat. And the instructors recording always sound too fast at first listening. What helped me was to set the instructors recording to 50% speed and then tried to match that. It will actually sound pretty slow but that is the best way to learn the piece correctly. Once comfortable, if ever, you can set the speed to 75% and try matching that. Stay with it.

Ed
Cordoba C7

William Byrd
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 383
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:42 am
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by William Byrd » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:01 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:39 pm
James - speaking from another "untalented" musician, now, through sheer force, at the D03 level (albeit, a student with more faults than others at D03 level), I can say you are doing great. I also took it up from scratch a couple of years ago when I retired. And one of the bigger challenges for me, and still is is the tempo/counting. My metronome adds too much pressure so I am always off the beat. And the instructors recording always sound too fast at first listening. What helped me was to set the instructors recording to 50% speed and then tried to match that. It will actually sound pretty slow but that is the best way to learn the piece correctly. Once comfortable, if ever, you can set the speed to 75% and try matching that. Stay with it.

Ed
Hi Ed,

I never even considered doing what you suggest. What a novel idea. I'm actually going to give it a go.

BTW Ed...I think you are doing great over at D03. Believe it or not, I always stop by the D03 forum each month to see how you are progressing. Keep up the fine work and excellent effort.

Bill
1969 Sakazo Nakade No 1000 G
1971 Mitsuru Tamura No 600
1973 Rokutaro Nakade A50
1977 Kazuo Yairi YC90

William Byrd
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 383
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:42 am
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by William Byrd » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:06 pm

James A. Showalter wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:17 pm
Chris,
Thank you for your critical review. I agree with everything you've said except the following:
I know it sucks
Because it doesn't.

This begs at why are we doing this? Of course we all have our own goals and intentions. I've always wanted to play guitar and dabbled with it over the course of my life when I found the time. Now I have the time and am devoted to it. But I could practice more and force myself to use a metronome to remedy my timing issues. That's the hard part and I'm not sure I'm up to it. I am enjoying myself and keeping my mind focused on an effort that I hope will help maintain some mental acuity as I continue into my retirement years. Now to clear the air I will state outright that I am a difficult personality. I recognize talent and realize that I do not have it. What I've observed in my life is that talented people don't always apply themselves because they don't have to. They write their own rules which is often to their own detriment. As a non-talented person I can only hope to follow the rules and thereby progress even if it means pushing hard and then repeating the effort. I appreciate your critical review and know that what you are saying is correct. So somewhere between the rules, the lesson format and the special effort that must be exerted to make us achieve our self-imposed standard is the musician we will become.

It's always a pleasure.
James
Hi James,

Well stated. I for one find your effort to be inspirational considering your wrist issue and self-confessed lack of talent, which I think you are over stating. You certainly don't lack the motivation to improve and be successful, and I for one look forward to progressing forward with you in the years to come.

Well done on lesson 6.

Bill
1969 Sakazo Nakade No 1000 G
1971 Mitsuru Tamura No 600
1973 Rokutaro Nakade A50
1977 Kazuo Yairi YC90

William Byrd
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 383
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:42 am
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by William Byrd » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:24 pm

Jono Diel wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:10 pm
Great tones youve produced, James! For timing, I just count outloud 1& 2 etc... when learning a new piece. I do my best not to listen/watch the videos of the pieces in the beginning of the learning process and rely on my own counting. Once I got familiarized with the beat and notes that is when I start to watch the videos of maestro Delcamp to see if I got it right.

Also I wanted to share this video Ive just started to watch and learn from.

It comes in a series of 7 vids on how to tackle a new piece. Hope it helps everyone.

Jono
Thanks Jono!

I'll definitely give this a look.

Bill
1969 Sakazo Nakade No 1000 G
1971 Mitsuru Tamura No 600
1973 Rokutaro Nakade A50
1977 Kazuo Yairi YC90

Ed Butler
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 546
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:46 am
Location: Plymouth, MA, USA

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by Ed Butler » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:50 pm

William Byrd wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:01 pm
Ed Butler wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:39 pm
James - speaking from another "untalented" musician, now, through sheer force, at the D03 level (albeit, a student with more faults than others at D03 level), I can say you are doing great. I also took it up from scratch a couple of years ago when I retired. And one of the bigger challenges for me, and still is is the tempo/counting. My metronome adds too much pressure so I am always off the beat. And the instructors recording always sound too fast at first listening. What helped me was to set the instructors recording to 50% speed and then tried to match that. It will actually sound pretty slow but that is the best way to learn the piece correctly. Once comfortable, if ever, you can set the speed to 75% and try matching that. Stay with it.

Ed
Hi Ed,

I never even considered doing what you suggest. What a novel idea. I'm actually going to give it a go.

BTW Ed...I think you are doing great over at D03. Believe it or not, I always stop by the D03 forum each month to see how you are progressing. Keep up the fine work and excellent effort.

Bill
THANK YOU
Cordoba C7

User avatar
James A. Showalter
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 423
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:20 pm
Location: Mississippi

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by James A. Showalter » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:34 am

Jono,
Thank you for your recommendations and the video link. Your words of wisdom are well received and I found the video to be a very logical learning tool. Together they advance my desire to be a better guitarist.

I especially look forward to your submissions.
James
1972 Morris No. 12
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka, No. 20
1979 Yamaha C300
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Martin Guitars (MC28, D12-28, J40)
National Resonator Guitar
Les Paul 1960 reissue

User avatar
James A. Showalter
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 423
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:20 pm
Location: Mississippi

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by James A. Showalter » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:50 pm

Ed,
set the instructors recording to 50% speed and then tried to match that
How do you set the speed of a video recording? Do you record the audio and then have some means to reduce the speed?
James
1972 Morris No. 12
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka, No. 20
1979 Yamaha C300
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Martin Guitars (MC28, D12-28, J40)
National Resonator Guitar
Les Paul 1960 reissue

User avatar
Judy Verbeeten
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 239
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:43 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:02 pm

Jono Diel wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:10 pm
Jono, do you belong to Alan Mathews' Guitar Shed and if so, do you find it well-organized and helpful, and is there enough feedback?

Judy

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”