D01 Classical guitar lesson 07

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 07

Post by Christopher Langley » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:46 pm

Mike Cook wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:36 pm
Questions for D01 fellow students:
How much practicing do you do each week?

I don't know.

How do you structure your practice sessions?

I don't. I work on whatever I feel like needs work. After I have cleared a lessons worth of material, I often go all the way back to a la claire fontaine and play through the pieces to check that I have maintained my skills. Often I find pieces need further polishing before I feel like I can really move on.

Do you work on music outside of Delcamp Classical Guitar on a regular basis?

Uhmmm. Yes. Pretty much always.

Are you satisfied with your progress?

Yes, but I have a long way to go. :)
Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep.

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:39 pm

Mike Cook wrote:
(my responses are included)

At least 90 minutes a day, sometime more (2 - 4 hours on the weekends)

Scales, Giuliani RH 120 Delcamp lessons, and repertoire.

Yes. I am trying to expand into pieces that will further my development.

Yes, but I have a long way to go.
Here's what I'm currently doing. It's a three day rotation with Sunday free to work on whatever or just to take a day off, which usually doesn't happen.

I repeat each rotation three times, with the exception of the warm up, which is only done the first time. I increase the metronome one tick each time through the rotation and continue the increases into future rotations until I reach a point where I am not able to play whatever it is I'm working on three times error free. So for example today is Day 1 (Monday/Thursday) in the three day rotation, and it took me roughly 83 minutes to work through the rotation three time.

This is pretty structured but it works for me and allows me to address many different areas of technique, studies, and repertoire.

Bill
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1964 Seizo Shinano No 83
1966 Kazuo Yairi Uzuki
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka No 40
1992 Asturias Custom Build

Jono Diel

Post by Jono Diel » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:41 am

Mike Cook wrote:
(my responses are included)

At least 90 minutes a day, sometime more (2 - 4 hours on the weekends)

Scales, Giuliani RH 120 Delcamp lessons, and repertoire.

Yes. I am trying to expand into pieces that will further my development.

Yes, but I have a long way to go.
Very nice questions Mike.

1) I practice usually at night before bed. I would tell myself 15-30 mins, but I usually get distracted and start watching stuff on my phone. I guess I count distraction as a break. Sometimes I end up practicing for an hour when I lose track. I do my best to practice everyday, but I end up 5 days a week because of random events.

2) I usually just jump into the peices. I play the peices slowly until I remember the tune of it, and then play more comfortably. Lately, Im trying to incorporate the arpeggios exercises we have here in Lesson 7 as a warm up along with a chromatic scale free stroke. After that I just go to the peices. I also want to follow Maestro Delcamp's practicing guide which is posted on D01 Lesson 1.

3)At the moment I'm trying to learn three peices from This is Classical Guitar's Method 1 book while waiting for L8 and the final exam. The three peices are: Leyenda Theme, Greensleeves, and Malagueñas. They are fun to play and it works on my free stroke technique.

4)I am not satisfied with my progress. I need to develop a structure practice routine, but I hate following routines because I always get distracted and end up noodling around. I might need a teacher for that.

Happy playing classmates! Playing/practicing CG is very therapeutic I believe. It is like a daily dose of medicine. As long as you are enjoying what you are doing without harming anyone you are doing the right thing.

Jono

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:30 pm

On practicing:

I think Jono summed it up best for me.

I wish I was more structured but I'm always finding distractions that pull me away. I do practice everyday even when I let myself get distracted, mostly in the evening for about an hour. But today is a cold dreary day and I've already practiced this morning for more than an hour going back over the Carcassi Exercise Opus 59 and the Lesson 7 stuff. I am trying to get an acceptable rendition of the Sor Lecon-II Opus 60 piece under my belt but it is difficult. I've spent the past few days effort concentrating on it. So I jump around but stay at it. I may not focus so much on the remaining lessons as I will put my time into the exam when it is announced. This is because I have obligations that will draw me away from it. No doubt a structured approach would benefit me.

I have a challenge for Chris or anybody else who is playing Sor Lecon-II:
Provide a recording at somewhat below the intended speed so that I may study your movements more easily.

I want to say that this class year has been a great experience. There are toes meant for walking and fingers good for plucking but in the rare chance that one may get stepped on or a digit finds an eye something else happens. The year has shown me that it can be fun.

Actually it's been a blast.
James
1972 Morris No. 12
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka, No. 20
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Martin Guitars (MC28, D12-28, J40)
National Resonator Guitar
Les Paul 1960 reissue

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:30 am

It has been a good year and a good learning experience. I hope our class can move forward en masse for next year's lessons.

Wow, even my French is improving. :lol:

:merci: for your support this year!

Bill
1964 Seizo Shinano No 83
1966 Kazuo Yairi Uzuki

Jono Diel

Post by Jono Diel » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:06 am

Yes, it had been a great learning experience with all of you! I'll most definitely join D02.

James, I shall try to post a slow version soon. I actually don't know which piece to learn at the moment, so I will work on the Sor Lecon II opus 60. :casque:

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:48 am

Thank you Jono.

Your slow methodical play is easy to follow. I appreciate it.
James
1972 Morris No. 12
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka, No. 20
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Martin Guitars (MC28, D12-28, J40)
National Resonator Guitar
Les Paul 1960 reissue

Aaron Haskett

Post by Aaron Haskett » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:35 am

Mike Cook wrote:
Questions for D01 fellow students: ...
How much practicing do you do each week? ...
How do you structure your practice sessions? ...
Do you work on music outside of Delcamp Classical Guitar on a regular basis? ...
Are you satisfied with your progress? ...
1) Varies a lot, anywhere in the ballpark of 6 to 16 hours a week. Basically if I have free time I'm practicing

2) I play through, roughly, the pieces/exercises for the lesson I am working on once, I usually have 1-2 pieces I am actively trying to improve at any given time and I will isolate and repeat difficult or problematic measures/phrases etc. for about 10 minutes each until I feel comfortable with it. I usually end by playing through those pieces at different tempos, once slowly and perfectly, once as fast as I possibly can with mistakes (probably not the best approach), then a couple times at the fastest tempo I am actually comfortable with. I might do the exercises/scales a couple more times if I have the time.

3) Nope, I probably would be if I didn't start late, but as it is I am focusing solely on the Delcamp material to give myself the best chances of catching up.

4) Mostly. One of the benefits of moving through the material so fast to try to catch up is that I feel like I've progressed quickly. On the other hand, with the exception of two pieces, I feel like most of the songs I can play so far are at the "competent" level but not nearly as beautiful/musical sounding as many of the videos you all have posted. Hoping this will change once I'm done with D01 :casque:

Also:
William Byrd wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:39 pm
Here's what I'm currently doing. ... Bill
Bill, is that some kind of time management app?? It looks awesome!
-Aaron

Cordoba C3M

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:28 am

Aaron Haskett wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:35 am
Mike Cook wrote:
Questions for D01 fellow students: ...
How much practicing do you do each week? ...
How do you structure your practice sessions? ...
Do you work on music outside of Delcamp Classical Guitar on a regular basis? ...
Are you satisfied with your progress? ...
Also:
William Byrd wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:39 pm
Here's what I'm currently doing. ... Bill
Bill, is that some kind of time management app?? It looks awesome!
It's called Multi Timer and is available in the app store. I find that it helps me maintain a structured practice routine.

Do the timers go off and I immediately stop what I'm doing? Of course not. If I'm in the middle of something I'll finish what it is I'm doing, but it does help me to utilize my time efficiently and hopefully get the most bang out of the time I have available.
1964 Seizo Shinano No 83
1966 Kazuo Yairi Uzuki

Graham Gaya

Post by Graham Gaya » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:30 pm

Bringing the rear....work and some travel threw me off a bit but here are my submissions. I got a long ways to go on the improv, and made some slight errors on the other two pieces - overall though glad to have made it this far!!!

D01 L07 DGAB Improvisation

D01 L07 Quand Jetais Chez Mon Pere

D01 L07 O Bella Ciao

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:29 am

Graham Gaya wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:30 pm
Bringing the rear....work and some travel threw me off a bit but here are my submissions. I got a long ways to go on the improv, and made some slight errors on the other two pieces - overall though glad to have made it this far!!!
Very good effort Graham. Glad to see you have stuck it out with the rest of us. It now looks like you are ready for the exam.

One thing to point out. I notice in both pieces, more so in O bella ciao, that you have a tendency to not play on your fingertips at times, especially with your second and third fingers. If you watch your videos back, you'll see it as well. Just something to be aware of going forward.

Good job :D
1964 Seizo Shinano No 83
1966 Kazuo Yairi Uzuki

Graham Gaya

Post by Graham Gaya » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:51 pm

William Byrd wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:29 am

One thing to point out. I notice in both pieces, more so in O bella ciao, that you have a tendency to not play on your fingertips at times, especially with your second and third fingers.
Thanks for the observation William. Just a clarification, is that on the left hand?

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:05 pm

Graham Gaya wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:51 pm
William Byrd wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:29 am

One thing to point out. I notice in both pieces, more so in O bella ciao, that you have a tendency to not play on your fingertips at times, especially with your second and third fingers.
Thanks for the observation William. Just a clarification, is that on the left hand?
Yes, your left hand.
1964 Seizo Shinano No 83
1966 Kazuo Yairi Uzuki

Staffan Strömberg

Post by Staffan Strömberg » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:27 pm

Great submission, Graham. Regarding the mistakes, I noticed a couple of missed low E's on Quand j'etais chez mon pere, where you played A instead, otherwise I didn't notice any. Those pieces are not so easy to play without mistakes, especially during recording.

Aaron Haskett

Post by Aaron Haskett » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:20 pm

Graham Gaya wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:30 pm
Looks great, no comments that Staffan and Bill haven't already mentioned. You should be proud of your progress!
-Aaron

Cordoba C3M

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”