D01 Classical guitar lesson 07

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
James A. Showalter
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 07

Post by James A. Showalter » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:03 pm

Excellent submissions Aaron.

Good luck on the exam. You're ready.
James
1972 Morris No. 12
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka, No. 20
1979 Yamaha C300
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Martin Guitars (MC28, D12-28, J40)
National Resonator Guitar
Les Paul 1960 reissue

Paul Cezanne

Post by Paul Cezanne » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:34 pm

I learned my lesson last time, don't wait until the end to post them all. Here's my first one.

--
Repeat student D01, Student D02

I play vertically because of back and joint pain, plus my goal is to someday play a Brahms guitar like Paul Galbraith.

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:06 pm

Paul Cezanne wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:34 pm
I learned my lesson last time, don't wait until the end to post them all. Here's my first one.
Nicely done Paul. At this rate, you'll be ready in September for D02! :D
1969 Sakazo Nakade No 1000 G
1971 Mitsuru Tamura No 600
1977 Kazuo Yairi YC90
1978 Yamaha C400

Paul Cezanne

Post by Paul Cezanne » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:02 pm

William Byrd wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:06 pm
Nicely done Paul. At this rate, you'll be ready in September for D02! :D
Thanks! That's the plan. Next year I'll do D01 just for the exam and try to stay on target for D02!
--

I play vertically because of back and joint pain, plus my goal is to someday play a Brahms guitar like Paul Galbraith.

Paul Cezanne

Post by Paul Cezanne » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:33 pm

I Here's my last 2 Lesson 7 videos!

I found O bella ciao challenging. The funniest part was that I was playing with a c-sharp for 2 weeks! C natural was easier. I still struggled with getting the EABCA part, especially when I had to play the E without muting the low A, I'm certain I only get that right about 20% of the time. But once I was able to play that most of the time I found my downfall in doing the video! The second half, the easy half, was now hard! I was so nervous I was always flubbing it.

The improve was fun, sorry about messing up the triplets, that was a spur of the moment thing and it didn't work out as well as I hoped, my fingers weren't up to it. Then at the end, I realized I needed a way to end the piece, and I lost the tempo! And sorry, not sorry the low G at the end, it just fit.

I'll keep plugging away at 7. I feel September coming and I need to finish 8 and 9. At my current rate that's not happening. But the I've certainly neglected the non-video pieces from 7.
--

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:11 am

Paul Cezanne wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:33 pm
I feel September coming and I need to finish 8 and 9. At my current rate that's not happening. But the I've certainly neglected the non-video pieces from 7.
Hi Paul,

Regardless if you finish lessons eight and nine, it is not a prerequisite to move on to D02. Just keep plugging away and you'll be ready in September.

Bill :ouioui: :guitare:
1977 Kazuo Yairi YC90
1978 Yamaha C400

Paul Cezanne

Post by Paul Cezanne » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:38 pm

William Byrd wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:11 am

Hi Paul,

Regardless if you finish lessons eight and nine, it is not a prerequisite to move on to D02. Just keep plugging away and you'll be ready in September.

It just seems to me that if I'm struggling with 8 and 9 then I would struggle even more with year 2!
--

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:33 pm

Paul Cezanne wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:38 pm
William Byrd wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:11 am

Hi Paul,

It just seems to me that if I'm struggling with 8 and 9 then I would struggle even more with year 2!
D02 focuses a lot on the left hand, specifically, using the thumb, i.e., adding a bass line. Additionally, the fourth finger of the left hand is also emphasized quite a bit and playing some music in the second position. Hopefully you feel ready. I enjoy having you in the class.

Bill
1977 Kazuo Yairi YC90
1978 Yamaha C400

Paul Cezanne

Post by Paul Cezanne » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:30 pm

William Byrd wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:33 pm

D02 focuses a lot on the left hand, specifically, using the thumb, i.e., adding a bass line. Additionally, the fourth finger of the left hand is also emphasized quite a bit and playing some music in the second position. Hopefully you feel ready. I enjoy having you in the class.

Bill
Why thank you, that's the nicest thing I've had said to me in awhile. Big smile here.

So today I ran through D01.7 again, then sight red D01.8 and D01.9, often just playing the melody part first. I found 8 and 9 to be almost easy compared to 7! So I'll keep at them, I might even try and get a jump start on D02.1 just so I don't get too behind too early!

I'm probably not going to do videos though, I found today that I was playing the 7 videos almost perfectly, yet it took me about a week to record those, I just freeze up when the camera is running. This way I can concentrate on playing.

See you in September be sure to ask MM Delcamp for a raise! :- )
--

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:15 am

Paul Cezanne wrote:
It depends what you want to get out of the lessons.
Some folks want to follow and pass the exam, others are wanting just to follow and get feedback. There is no problem taking more than one year to complete a level, after all few here are full time music students, most have day jobs.
In addition to the additions Bill mentioned, you will find D02 introduces more rhythm patterns.

I notice that when playing the last few videos you lose timing and flow when you look at your fingers. Might be worth putting the music stand to your left where the strings are in your field of vision, so you only need a quick gaze shift to move between page and fingers.

Paul Cezanne

Post by Paul Cezanne » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:08 pm

Colin Bullock wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:15 am
Paul Cezanne wrote:
It depends what you want to get out of the lessons.
Some folks want to follow and pass the exam, others are wanting just to follow and get feedback. There is no problem taking more than one year to complete a level, after all few here are full time music students, most have day jobs.
In addition to the additions Bill mentioned, you will find D02 introduces more rhythm patterns.

I notice that when playing the last few videos you lose timing and flow when you look at your fingers. Might be worth putting the music stand to your left where the strings are in your field of vision, so you only need a quick gaze shift to move between page and fingers.
I'm goal oriented so I want to pass the exam. But... my real goal is to play Bach and I figure that the structure of passing the exams will help.

Thanks for the observation on the tempo! Man, that's out of the blue. I have significant musical experience and tempo is something I thought would never be problem. I'll keep an eye out for that. My biggest problem, I think, is that I freeze up when recording. So when recording I tend to look at my fingers to make sure I don't buzz or miss. I need to stop that. Thanks for the tip. That's huge.
--

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:11 pm

Paul Cezanne wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:08 pm
my real goal is to play Bach and I figure that the structure of passing the exams will help.
Certainly the structure of studying for the exam will help; exam itself is optional but it's a good marker of how quickly you can learn a piece at that level.
Paul Cezanne wrote:
Thanks for the observation on the tempo! Man, that's out of the blue. I have significant musical experience and tempo is something I thought would never be problem.
It's surprising how small distractions throw our timing. I often feel I'm ok on tempo and then listen to the recording and realise it varies slightly.
Paul Cezanne wrote:
My biggest problem, I think, is that I freeze up when recording. So when recording I tend to look at my fingers to make sure I don't buzz or miss. I need to stop that. Thanks for the tip. That's huge.
Red light syndrome!
It happens to most of us, even at d06 you see comments about "had it perfect until I switched on the recorder"

Anyway, have a go at D02 next yr and see how it goes.

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:32 am

Well I am impressed with the level of discourse here post D01 and in the midst of summer.

Paul, I'm not really qualified to say but you are receiving excellent guidance. I squeaked by on D01 and hope to complete D02 next year. I've been working on it with some dedication for over a month and the initial thoughts are that it bumps up a notch in difficulty. I think you are on the right track and look forward to participating with you in September. That seemed so far away once. A blink and we'll be pressuring ourselves for submission - red light style.

Keep up the good work.
James
1972 Morris No. 12
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka, No. 20
1979 Yamaha C300
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Martin Guitars (MC28, D12-28, J40)
National Resonator Guitar
Les Paul 1960 reissue

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:53 am

Paul Cezanne wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:30 pm
William Byrd wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:33 pm

Bill
Why thank you, that's the nicest thing I've had said to me in awhile. Big smile here.

So today I ran through D01.7 again, then sight red D01.8 and D01.9, often just playing the melody part first. I found 8 and 9 to be almost easy compared to 7! So I'll keep at them, I might even try and get a jump start on D02.1 just so I don't get too behind too early!

I'm probably not going to do videos though, I found today that I was playing the 7 videos almost perfectly, yet it took me about a week to record those, I just freeze up when the camera is running. This way I can concentrate on playing.

See you in September be sure to ask MM Delcamp for a raise! :- )
Hi Paul,

I too tend to mess up with that light on. It took me forever to get a clean take. But contrary to how some view this exercise, making a perfect video is not the goal. We are all students and these are works in progress. The videos give great feedback you will miss if you just play. This is also good performance practice. Though we may not have a goal to perform, we do want to play reasonably well and maybe for friends and family.

I have found that if I just let the camera run and play through mistakes and all until I get a reasonable take and edit out the early takes, that helps. But I admit, not a single one of my videos D03-D07 is perfect. But the record of my work over this time frame gives me inspiration seeing how far I’ve come. LOTS OF BACH IN LEVEL D07!
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”