D02 Classical guitar lesson 07

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D02 Classical guitar lesson 07

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:44 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D02.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

First we will study some technical exercises from volume D02.
- page 79 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) LIAISONS - LEGATURE - SLURS - LIGADOS
Ascending slurs are produced by striking (hammering down on) the string with a left hand finger. The faster and more decisive this movement is, the more volume is obtained. Practise particularly on the nylon (unwound) strings, as these are the most difficult to get a clear sound from.
Descending slurs are produced by pulling the string with a left hand finger (and letting it snap off the fingertip). The more parallel this movement is to the plane of the fingerboard (i.e. towards the adjacent string where there is one), the more volume is obtained. Practise particularly on the nylon (unwound) strings, as these are the most difficult to get a clear sound from.

- page 82 number 33 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) ARPÈGES - ARPEGGI - ARPEGGIOS - ARPEGIOS

- page 85-86 - Improvisation
Improvisation work - D02
These exercises in improvisation are to be done several times a week, for several months.
Vary the volume (mf, pp, ff, p ...), timbres and rhythms. Never play the same thing twice, because it would cease to be improvisation, and would become composition.
1/ improvise on a single note (A) for 20 seconds.

2/ improvise using only two notes (G - A) for 20 seconds.

3/ improvise using only three notes (G - A - B) for 20 seconds

4/ improvise using only four notes (D - G - A - B) for 20 seconds.

5/ improvise a melody upon the bass-line of DANSE D'AVILA, D02, page 7, using only these 7 notes (G# A B C# D E F#).

6/ improvise a melody upon the bass-line of OH! SUSANNA, D02, page 8, using only these 7 notes (G# A B C# D E F#).

Next, we will be working on 3 pieces with a phrase structure of 8 bars.
- page 38 Mauro GIULIANI (1781-1829) ÉCOSSAISE N°10 opus 33
- page 52 Fernando SOR (1778-1839) LEÇON VIII opus 60
- page 53 Fernando SOR (1778-1839) LEÇON IX opus 60

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and tunes for a week and then to upload your recordings of:
- page 38 Mauro GIULIANI (1781-1829) ÉCOSSAISE N°10 opus 33
- 4/ improvise using only four notes (D - G - A - B) for 20 seconds.
- I ask every one of the students to take part in at least one of the musical games. If the games proposed seem too difficult for you, it is up to you to suggest new ones, adapted to your level and designed with your own rules.

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

ÉCOSSAISE N°10 opus 33
improvise using only four notes (D - G - A - B) for 20 seconds
Musical game

Judy Verbeeten
ÉCOSSAISE N°10 opus 33
Musical game

Ken Kim
ÉCOSSAISE N°10 opus 33
Musical game

Mike Cook
ÉCOSSAISE N°10 opus 33
Musical game

Linda Kimbrel
ÉCOSSAISE N°10 opus 33
Musical game
:( + ♫ = :)

Judy Verbeeten
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 07

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:04 pm

Please find my D02 week 7 submission for the selected musical piece, Ecossaise No 10 Opus 33, and Improvisation using 4 notes.

Improvisation using 4 notes was also a week 7 requirement for D01. While I videoed my improvisations a week apart, as between D01 and D02, I realized that my first improvisation for D02 was similar to what I had submitted for D01. Therefore, I also submitted a second improvisation (Improvisation Redux) which is notably different from the first improvisation submission (for both D01 and D02).

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:15 pm

Judy Verbeeten wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:04 pm
Please find my D02 week 7 submission for the selected musical piece, Ecossaise No 10 Opus 33, and Improvisation using 4 notes.

Improvisation using 4 notes was also a week 7 requirement for D01. While I videoed my improvisations a week apart, as between D01 and D02, I realized that my first improvisation for D02 was similar to what I had submitted for D01. Therefore, I also submitted a second improvisation (Improvisation Redux) which is notably different from the first improvisation submission (for both D01 and D02).

Nice work Judy.

I wish these improvisation and composition exercises in the early lessons kept on in the later lessons, D05 and beyond. For those interested in looking ahead, we haven't had any of this in D07, but then again just learning a couple 4 minute pieces is challenging enough. But if you're interested in improvization I found a greate site. I haven't had much time to spend on it yet except listening to some podcasts, but maybe this summer.

https://improviseforreal.com/
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:19 pm

Lesson 7 is the first opportunity to post sufficient pieces to qualify for entering the exam.
At the end of the first post of each lesson you will see aa list of students and their posts which are registered as qualifying pieces.
Can you check your posts for each lesson and see if there are any I have missed.
thanks
Colin

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:23 pm

Judy Verbeeten wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:04 pm

Hi, Judy.
You are really progressing a lot with smooth legato. :bravo:
Improvisation is hard for me to do it since I don't know much code and it seems charming enough and I prefer arpeggio better. :casque:

Although you played well on Eccosaise, you didn't do any slurs as score says. :shock:
This is first Slur study introduced by lesson. When you see 2nd and 4th measure with square box, it means you need to play it with slurs. 2nd was pull-off and 4th was hammering. It is repeated 2 more times at the same notes. When you look close to left hand of Maestro Delcamp's demo, you will see it. I suggest you to practice and post it with slurs again and it won't be easy. :discussion:

Slurs will not be easy and we'd better get used to do it well before we learn trills at D03. :chaud:
Ken

♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥

Robert England Hauser / Amalio Burguet Especial
Cordoba C12SP, Torres & Rodriguez
Yamaha Silent SLG200NW / Ryoji Matsuoka M60

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:37 pm

Hi, all. :bye:

I'm posting 3 submissions along with 2 Sor Etudes.
Any comments are welcome. :ouioui:
Colin, you've posted every submissions for me to qualify for the year-end exam. :discussion:

I've done Musical Game at French forum. https://www.guitareclassiquedelcamp.com ... &start=195
It is my first guitar composition.
D02-07 Musical Game Ken Kim Reunion-mi minor study.mp3

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ken

Linda Kimbrel

Post by Linda Kimbrel » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:32 pm

Ken, nice work as usual. And Judy, way to think out of the box on the improv - going into the upper registers like you did for higher notes. That never occurred to me! Ken noted already the lack of slurs in your piece. Slurs are really not difficult, other than getting a clear tone. Work on those and maybe repost so we can see how you’re doing with them in a composition. You did fine in the exercises.
Linda

Judy Verbeeten

Musical Game

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:36 pm

I would like to start the musical game. The score is in C major, 4/4 time; the four notes used are C, E, G and A.

Here is my score:

Here is my audio/video of the short score:

I look forward to other members in this group adding to this musical score.

Ken Kim

Re: Musical Game

Post by Ken Kim » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:01 pm

deleted
Last edited by Ken Kim on Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ken

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:15 am

Colin Bullock wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:19 pm
Lesson 7 is the first opportunity to post sufficient pieces to qualify for entering the exam.
At the end of the first post of each lesson you will see aa list of students and their posts which are registered as qualifying pieces.
Can you check your posts for each lesson and see if there are any I have missed.
thanks
Colin
Hi Colin, I posted my contribution to the musical game, the last requirement for Lesson 7, after you viewed my other two submissions for the lesson. Just want to make sure that you see this last required submission for Lesson 7. Thank you. Judy

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:13 am

Ken Kim wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:23 pm

Slurs will not be easy and we'd better get used to do it well before we learn trills at D03.
Ken, I did not realize that I was to use slurs. Thank you for pointing this out, as it is definitely a skill we should start to address now, so there are fewer problems later. I have re-posted the first (repeat) section of Ecossaise where the slurs were supposed to be used (the last section of the song is just another repeat of the first section). Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention. I absolutely missed it.

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:50 am

Judy Verbeeten wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:13 am
Ken Kim wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:23 pm
Slurs will not be easy and we'd better get used to do it well before we learn trills at D03.
Ken, I did not realize that I was to use slurs. Thank you for pointing this out, as it is definitely a skill we should start to address now, so there are fewer problems later. I have re-posted the first (repeat) section of Ecossaise where the slurs were supposed to be used (the last section of the song is just another repeat of the first section). Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention. I absolutely missed it.
:bravo:, Judy.
You just need to get used to it with right tempo. You've done it like syncopation. :okok: :bye:
Ken

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:58 am

Linda Kimbrel wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:32 pm
Ken, nice work as usual. Slurs are really not difficult, other than getting a clear tone.
Linda
Thank you, Linda. :merci: I missed your post. :shock:
Slurs were really hard for me to learn it. Now, I'm fine with simple slurs.
Good luck with 7th lesson! I look forward to listening your submissions. :discussion:
Ken

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:27 pm

Judy Verbeeten wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:15 am
Hi Colin, I posted my contribution to the musical game, the last requirement for Lesson 7, after you viewed my other two submissions for the lesson. Just want to make sure that you see this last required submission for Lesson 7. Thank you. Judy
Judy, Ken
Musical games have to be posted here viewforum.php?f=109.
It makes it easier to follow progress and see who has contributed.
If you wouldn’t mind reposting there I can give you the credits.

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:35 pm

Colin Bullock wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:27 pm
If you wouldn’t mind reposting there I can give you the credits.
Thank you Colin. I have reposted under the Musical Game section. Sorry, I was not aware that we were supposed to post in a different section. Now I know for future reference.

Thank you, Judy.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”