D02 Classical guitar lesson 08

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Mike Cook
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 08

Post by Mike Cook » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:08 pm

Ken,

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. I totally overlooked these points in my rush to get the videos out within a week.

I'm on the road again, but I'll revisit the slurs and La Tarentela when I return on Monday. Looking forward to the exams!

btw - I have a new guitar (Elias Monet Bonne, traditional cedar top/green ebony back and sides) coming soon from the Guitar Salon International. Can't wait to start playing it! I'm hoping to be a good musician when I grow up!

Mike
2019 Elias Bonet Monne Traditional Cedar/Green Ebony
2017 Cordoba 20th Anniversary Guitar
1993 Jose Ramirez R2
2008 Fender Strat, Eric Johnson Signature Model
1966 Gibson Melodymaker
2013 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe EC Studio

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:49 pm

Mike Cook wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:08 pm
Ken,

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. I totally overlooked these points in my rush to get the videos out within a week.

I'm on the road again, but I'll revisit the slurs and La Tarentela when I return on Monday. Looking forward to the exams!

btw - I have a new guitar (Elias Monet Bonne, traditional cedar top/green ebony back and sides) coming soon from the Guitar Salon International. Can't wait to start playing it! I'm hoping to be a good musician when I grow up!

Mike
Wow Mike. I've been looking on that website. I thought if I were going to buy another guitar, that would be the place I'd get it from. They're guitars always look mint, no matter how old. Congratulations on your purchase!
1989 Takamine C132S, Aquila 19C strings

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:23 am

Mike Cook wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:08 pm
I have a new guitar (Elias Monet Bonne, traditional cedar top/green ebony back and sides) coming soon from the Guitar Salon International. Can't wait to start playing it! I'm hoping to be a good musician when I grow up!
Mike
Congratulations, Mike. :okok:
It should be french polished top. You will play much easier with new guitar. :ouioui:

It is time for you to buy new microphone(stereo) set, Mike. Your guitars deserve better mics. :)
I am waiting for Neumann TLM103 stereo set. I have enough guitars and better recording gear will catch much better Bass. I was debating between a pair of Neumann KM184 and a pair of Neumann TLM103. Decided to go with large diaphragm condenser. :bye:
Last edited by Ken Kim on Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken

♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥

Robert England Hauser / Amalio Burguet Especial
Cordoba C12SP, Torres & Rodriguez
Yamaha Silent SLG200NW / Ryoji Matsuoka M60

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:41 am

Ken Kim wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:23 am
I was debating between a pair of Neumann KLM184 and a pair of Neumann TLM103. Decided to go with large diaphragm condenser. :bye:
Wow, Ken. I remember last summer when I just joined the Delcamp board, I asked you what microphone you were using, and you informed me that it was a very basic USB-microphone - I think you said it was attached to your iphone.

Ken, your playing absolutely deserves high-end microphones. Good for you. But even now with your present set-up, your tones are so clear. Holy smokes - the sound you are producing with your excellent playing is going to get even better. I look forward to watching and listening to your future submissions.

Judy

Linda Kimbrel

Post by Linda Kimbrel » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:21 am

Ken Kim wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:56 am
Linda Kimbrel wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:13 am
Ken, (or anyone), how did you go about understanding how to play the rythym and timing in La Tarentela?
Linda K
Linda, I'm glad I can help you. :discussion:
When you watch La Tarantela from YouTube, click setting and change play speed to 0.5 to make half slower or you can even go 0.25 also. :ouioui:
You will hear rhythm clearly. :wink:

This is my final version of La Tarantela and I believe I got it. :D

I think you nailed it Ken. And thanks for the advice on slowing down playback with YouTube. I didn’t know that could be done! I’m trying it now, have some video up soon I hope.

Linda

Linda Kimbrel

Post by Linda Kimbrel » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:58 am

Colin Bullock wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:14 pm
Linda Kimbrel wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:13 am
..... tried counting out the written notation,
I assume you have counted 3 beats to the bar, each quaver (1/8 note) taking 1 beat and each crotchet (1/4 note) taking 2 beats. Try counting and tapping without playing anything.
Colin, you assume correctly. I very much like your suggestion of counting and tapping w/o playing anything. That would free up some desperately needed brain capacity. Thank you. Been a while since I’ve heard anyone use “quaver” and “crochet” for eighth and quarter notes. :casque:

Linda K

Linda Kimbrel

Post by Linda Kimbrel » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:09 pm

I think possibly I have at last figured this out. At least I’ve got the count and rhythm in my head. My hands still think I’m crazy though. Tarentella. Much thanks to Ken and Colin for your advice on tackling this piece.

Mike Cook

Post by Mike Cook » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:17 pm

Wow Mike. I've been looking on that website. I thought if I were going to buy another guitar, that would be the place I'd get it from. They're guitars always look mint, no matter how old. Congratulations on your purchase!
[/quote]

Tom - The place is Guitar Heaven! I played a dozen very nice guitars while I was there. The Sales Manager, JohnPaul Trotter, was very helpful and friendly. You likely know about the awesome videos they put on YouTube. It was a fun place to visit while I was in LA. Now, it time to learn Irish Tune for the D02 exam!

Mike :casque:
2019 Elias Bonet Monne Traditional Cedar/Green Ebony
2017 Cordoba 20th Anniversary Guitar
1993 Jose Ramirez R2
2008 Fender Strat, Eric Johnson Signature Model
1966 Gibson Melodymaker
2013 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe EC Studio

Linda Kimbrel

Post by Linda Kimbrel » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:37 pm

I found out if I go out to my car and use the car’s Wi-Fi to upload my videos to YouTube, it goes a lot faster and I don’t have nearly as much trouble. Here is the menuet by Krueger. I realize I bungled the very final measure, but this was still by far the best of many tries.
Linda K

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:12 am

I assume you have all seen the exam announcement https://www.guitarraclasicadelcamp.com/ ... 26&t=26962

Make sure you are registered for the exam over in the Spanish forum https://www.guitarraclasicadelcamp.com/ ... &start=435

Best of luck to you all

Colin

Linda Kimbrel

Post by Linda Kimbrel » Thu May 02, 2019 7:24 am

Registering on the Spanish forum was an interesting challenge of itself. I don’t speak or read much Espanòl, I just crossed my fingers the fields I needed to fill in were the standard format of name, email, password, confirm password, etc. The bot question was also Spanish - I puzzled it out to be “how many minutes in an hour”, typed in “60” and got past that. But the Spanish exam instructions almost defeated me, so happy to discover the English translation at the bottom of the post. I think I’m good to take the exam now! I hope anyway.
Linda Kimbrel

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Thu May 02, 2019 7:38 am

Linda Kimbrel wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 7:24 am
I think I’m good to take the exam now! I hope anyway.
Linda Kimbrel
Linda
You have completed all the lessons needed, but you need to register for the exam here https://www.guitarraclasicadelcamp.com/ ... &start=465

You will see requests from other members there

Linda Kimbrel

Post by Linda Kimbrel » Thu May 02, 2019 10:49 pm

Linda
You have completed all the lessons needed, but you need to register for the exam here https://www.guitarraclasicadelcamp.com/ ... &start=465

Hm. I thought that was what I just did. I registered to the Spanish Forum with the link from your other post, and then requested to take the exam using the second link. And I did see requests from other students there. But I’ll go for the exam again using this link. Thanks, Colin.
Linda K

Linda Kimbrel

Post by Linda Kimbrel » Thu May 02, 2019 10:58 pm

Colin Bullock wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 7:38 am
Linda Kimbrel wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 7:24 am
I think I’m good to take the exam now! I hope anyway.
Linda Kimbrel
Linda

Colin, I followed the above link and it did take me to the same thread I was on last night. I found my request and also a reply to my request stating I was ready to go. It may have just recently been approved, after your last post for me. Still, I appreciate that you are looking out for me, thank you.
:merci:
Linda K

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Tue May 07, 2019 4:09 pm

Mike Cook wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:18 pm
Day 6 & 7 recordings. When I view these, I see how much work I need to do!
Mike, these are solid efforts ... particularly in view of the fact that you are committed to completing D01, D02 and D03, all in one fell swoop. Very commendable.

I am wondering how you divide your practising sessions and how much practising you are able to complete on a daily basis or need to engage in, in order to stay ahead for all 3 levels. I find that right now, I am focused solely on the exam pieces for D01 and D02, which I am completing this year. I could not contemplate, at this point in time, also learning the new pieces. You, and Ken Kim, are guitar-playing machines. I admire both of you for your perseverance and commitment.

Judy

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”