D03 Classical guitar lesson 08

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D03 Classical guitar lesson 08

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:17 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D03.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

Today, we're going to work on a series of exercises.
- page 99 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) ACCORDS

- page 105 - 13/ Improvise a melody upon the harmonic sequence of Folias.

Next, we will be working on 3 pieces.
Las Folias are played using strums with the index finger. The arrows indicate the direction of the strum. In the strum, several strings are struck in rapid succession, to give the effect of a chord, that is to say of notes played simultaneously.

- page 31 Gaspar SANZ (1640-1710) FOLIAS
In bars 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12 the thumb rests on the 6th string. In bars 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 and 13 the thumb rests on the 5th string. It is important not to move the hand while the index finger moves up and down. Resting the thumb on a bass string helps to keep the hand still. It also prevents the accidental sounding of one or more bass strings that are not used in certain chords

- pages 66-67 ANONYME (ca. 1860) VALSE
This piece consists of a melody with accompaniment. The melody is played on the first string, except in bars 46 and 47. Bring out the melody notes (those with the stem pointing up) by using rest strokes with your third finger. Play the accompaniment (the notes with the stem pointing down) quietly, with gentle free strokes using the thumb, middle and index fingers.
On the first beat of each of the odd-numbered bars, you need to use a rest stroke for the treble note with your third finger while at the same time using a free stroke for the bass note, played gently with your thumb.
These two simultaneous strokes, one a strongly played rest stroke, the other a gentle free stroke, will seem very difficult, or even impossible, to achieve. But don't worry, my students manage this double stroke after 15 minutes. The first few minutes of practising this right-hand skill are always agonizing for students, because they feel that they will never succeed. In my lessons, my role is to reassure the students and encourage them to persevere. Often, after 15 minutes of repeating the same movements, students start to get there. Sometimes they are quite amazed at having succeeded at what seemed impossible. Because by repeatedly failing to perform rest and free strokes simultaneously, you end up convincing yourself that it's impossible. In short, persevere! Have courage!

Be patient, stay relaxed, don't get annoyed with yourself, don't curse me, just repeat the same movements over and over again while making an effort to get it right. In a few hours or a few days you will achieve mastery of this simultaneous rest and free stroke. This technique is used in the piece "Jeux interdits".
The marking CV, in bars 19, 20, 27, 28, 67, 68, 75 and 76, indicates a half barré with the index finger at the fifth fret.

- pages 68-69 José FERRER Y ESTEVE (1835-1916) EJERCICIO N°9
The dotted lines joining two identical notes indicate that the fingers of the left hand are not lifted but remain in place on the fingerboard.

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and tunes for a week and then to upload your recordings of:
- page 99 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) ACCORDS
- pages 66-67 ANONYME (ca. 1860) VALSE

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

ACCORDS
VALSE
:( + ♫ = :)

Ed Butler
Student of the online lessons

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 08

Post by Ed Butler » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:49 pm

First attempt at Chords

and the Valse - played it slower so I could concentrate more, but also I think it sounds better when played slower, Will spped it up for next attempt.

Cordoba C7

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:50 am

Can everyone please check here https://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/ ... 3#p1349862 that you are qualified for the exam.
I’ve sent out some PMs where I’ve spotted missing videos, but may have missed some.

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:00 pm

Here is an optional piece, José FERRER Y ESTEVE EJERCICIO 9. It took many tries to get a decent recording and I was kind of irritated about that. I'll try to keep that from happening again.

Last edited by Tom Wimsatt on Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1989 Takamine C132S, Savarez 520 PI strings

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:53 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:49 pm
First attempt at Chords
and the Valse - played it slower so I could concentrate more, but also I think it sounds better when played slower, Will spped it up for next attempt.
Hi Ed. I must say, your post of Valse is without a doubt one of the best recordings you've made to date. I also noticed that you looked happy while playing too. Congratulations on a very enjoyable recording! :bravo:

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:09 pm

Tom - thank you. Your encouragement means a great deal to me. I really liked your EJERCICIO. You play it a lot faster, and still correctly, than I would be comfortable. I have MUSESCORE at 30 and that feels right for me for my first attempt.
Cordoba C7

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:39 pm

First attempt at EJERCICIO - kept it slow. a few stumbles

Cordoba C7

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:03 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:39 pm
First attempt at EJERCICIO - kept it slow. a few stumbles
Hello, Ed. :bye:

Your guitar sounds great. I never knew C7 could make very resonant like yours.
Well-played, although you might need more time to be smooth.:okok:

Just wanted tell you a simple tip. Why don't you move your score(with stand) right in front of left fingers? It will help you not to look back and forth for both score and left hand. It would be good for your left arm position also, specially elbow position. :discussion:

I place mine right in front of left hand all the time. I usually look at 70% on score and 30% on left fingers.:ouioui:
Let me know what you think. :)
Ken

♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥

Robert England ✯❈Hauser❈✯
Amalio Burguet ✯❈Especial❈✯
Cordoba Master Séries ✯❈Rodriguez❈✯ & ✯❈Torres❈✯
Cordoba ✯❈C12❈✯Spruce

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:06 pm

Ken - thank you. That is a great idea - without thinking, I actually had page 1 at the left hand but had page 2 towards the right. I will be more aware of the score position going forward.

Ed
Cordoba C7

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:43 pm

I also now spend 15 minutes just working on tone. I wish I had done that when I started.
Cordoba C7

Mike Cook

Post by Mike Cook » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:43 pm

After about a week of work, here they are!

Accords No. 44

Accords No. 45

Anonyme: Valse

2019 Elias Bonet Monne Traditional Cedar/Green Ebony
2017 Cordoba 20th Anniversary Guitar
1993 Jose Ramirez R2
2008 Fender Strat, Eric Johnson Signature Model
1966 Gibson Melodymaker
2013 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe EC Studio

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:32 pm

Mike Cook wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:43 pm
After about a week of work, here they are!

Accords No. 44
Accords No. 45
Anonyme: Valse
Hi Mike, very nice work. Valse in particular, very enjoyable to listen to. I'm having trouble with measures 33-48 so I'm still working on it. For some reason, I have trouble getting my fingers into a "C" chord position after playing the prior measures. This seems strange to me, back in my chord-banging days (before I could finger pick - another reason I got interested in Classical Guitar by the way) I never had any trouble with this. :?

NOTE: You need to check measure #3 (and repeats), you are playing a "D" where the score calls out a "B". It still sounds great, but you'll need to correct that.

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:18 pm

Mike - I agree with Tom. Well done
Cordoba C7

Mike Cook

Post by Mike Cook » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:37 pm

Hi Mike, very nice work. Valse in particular, very enjoyable to listen to. I'm having trouble with measures 33-48 so I'm still working on it. For some reason, I have trouble getting my fingers into a "C" chord position after playing the prior measures. This seems strange to me, back in my chord-banging days (before I could finger pick - another reason I got interested in Classical Guitar by the way) I never had any trouble with this. :?

NOTE: You need to check measure #3 (and repeats), you are playing a "D" where the score calls out a "B". It still sounds great, but you'll need to correct that.
[/quote]

Thanks Tom. The C and G7 chords are definitely different on a wider neck. I didn't realize I was playing the wrong note! I need to pay a little more attention in my sight reading. It's nice to have the feedback like this.

Mike
1993 Jose Ramirez R2
1966 Gibson Melodymaker

Mike Cook

Post by Mike Cook » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:38 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:18 pm
Mike - I agree with Tom. Well done
Thanks Ed! :merci:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1993 Jose Ramirez R2
1966 Gibson Melodymaker

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”