D05 Classical guitar lesson 08

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
DaveMoutrie
Student of the online lessons

Re: D05 Classical guitar lesson 08

Post by DaveMoutrie » Sat May 04, 2019 8:30 pm

Colin - Nice to see you have such a positive attitude and are making progress with the shadow playing. Also good to hear that Andrei may be back next year - that will be something to look forward to. I'm sure that I'm not the only one that has missed his contribution.

Chu - I also get a little stifness in my left left elbow after a long period of playing. I find that it helps to stop every 15 minutes or so and shake out to relieve the stifness. As far as the Bach is concerned, you may find that it helps if you listen to a few different versions - including the original cello in order to get a good sense of how it is supposed to sound.
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Barnes and Mullins classical
Yamaha silent guitar

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Tue May 07, 2019 3:48 pm

Dave,
Thanks for the tips. I've not been able to practice due to the tennis elbow problem. The pain gets worse, and I have not played for a week, so at least I know it's not playing guitar that causes it.

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Wed May 08, 2019 2:28 pm

Chu Bun wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 10:11 pm
Not sure what causes it, but I have tennis elbow on my left arm which gets painful when I practice for more than 30mins. Is it possible that playing guitar can cause tennis elbow?
Prolonged gripping with the hand can cause it. It happened to me carrying a heavy tripod and too much other gear to sling it over the shoulder. One problem is that once it starts it can take a long time to go away even if you stop the gripping.

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Wed May 08, 2019 10:36 pm

I think it may be caused by years of typing and using the mouse with my forearm at a bad angle.
If it does not get better before the exam, I'll have to repeat 05 class next year. I believe this 05 class is cursed. Nobody's gonna make it through!

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Fri May 10, 2019 7:13 am

Chu Bun wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 10:36 pm
I think it may be caused by years of typing and using the mouse with my forearm at a bad angle.
If it does not get better before the exam, I'll have to repeat 05 class next year. I believe this 05 class is cursed. Nobody's gonna make it through!
It would be a great pity if you missed the exam, I hope that doesn’t happen.
Many of the hand exercises for my thumb are the same for tennis elbow and it seems to be linked to the forearm muscles and tendons. Stretching, heat and cold therapies seem to help.

I was considering going straight to D06 next yr as many of the pieces don’t seem technically too much harder. I did manage to play quite a few of this years pieces, but don’t have the hand strength to video them, and I’ve read through and studied the remaining pieces. Hopefully backing off to minimal hand stress will put me back on track for next year and I can decide which lesson to follow.
If you guys decide to do D05 I would probably join you. Thoughts?

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Sun May 12, 2019 7:29 am

Came off my mountain bike yesterday and now have pain and restricted movement in my right thumb.
I was about ready to record at least one of this month's pieces, but it seems that may not be possible now.
It appears we are all carrying injuries of one sort or another, I'll keep my fingers crossed that we all have better luck next year!

D06 sounds quite interesting, but not too sure how I would cope with the language problem - I speak virtually no spanish. Of course there is google translate but I'm not sure how well it would cope with technical terms relating to the guitar and the music. It would be interesting to hear how people have coped with this in the past.
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Barnes and Mullins classical
Yamaha silent guitar

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sun May 12, 2019 7:55 am

DaveMoutrie wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 7:29 am
Came off my mountain bike yesterday and now have pain and restricted movement in my right thumb.

D06 sounds quite interesting, but not too sure how I would cope with the language problem - I speak virtually no spanish. Of course there is google translate but I'm not sure how well it would cope with technical terms relating to the guitar and the music. It would be interesting to hear how people have coped with this in the past.
Maybe Chu is right and this class is jinxed?? Really sorry to hear that Dave, I was hoping you and Chu would get through.

There is a proposal for a combined D06 and D07 group on English forum next year, which would be interesting.
I don’t think there too many tech terms used on the Spanish forum, might be interesting to see what Rick’s experiences have been.

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Wed May 15, 2019 6:00 pm

I found an exercise that seems to help speeding the recovery. Hold a light weight. Twist, turn your arm, forearm, ... until you can isolate the muscles that cause the pain. Hold the position until the pain eases away. Relax and repeat a few times a day. My runner friend told me the purpose of the exercise is to put a light load (no heavy load because it may cause more muscle tears) on the muscles to increase blood flow to the area. Same idea as muscle rub, massaging, ... but more effective for tissue deep inside the body.
Maybe it's all snake oil and placebo effect, but seems to work well so far.

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Wed May 15, 2019 11:06 pm

DaveMoutrie wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 7:29 am
... Of course there is google translate but I'm not sure how well it would cope with technical terms relating to the guitar and the music.
Not sure about music, but most agencies we use to work with for translations related to computer technology have closed their door because of Google translate. I believe Google applies AI technology to their translation engine and it has become scarily good in the last few years. The way machine learning is going, I think pretty soon most of us will have no job, live on some forms of universal income, and stay home playing guitar.

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Thu May 16, 2019 10:03 am

I had a quick look through some posts on the Spanish forum and most questions relate to translations of obscure musical terms. We tend to know the common ones, but I suspect we would end up going to the spanish to ask for clarification on some.
I suppose the main issue is whether there are enough folks over here to make the combined D06/7/8 worthwhile. https://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/ ... 6#p1343985

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”