D02 Classical guitar lesson 09

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D02 Classical guitar lesson 09

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:40 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D02.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

First we will study some technical exercises from volume D02.
- page 81 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) LIAISONS - LEGATURE - SLURS – LIGADOS
Ascending slurs are produced by striking (hammering down on) the string with a left hand finger. The faster and more decisive this movement is, the more volume is obtained.
Descending slurs are produced by pulling the string with a left hand finger (and letting it snap off the fingertip). The more parallel this movement is to the plane of the fingerboard (i.e. towards the adjacent string where there is one), the more volume is obtained.

- page 82 numéro 35 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) ARPÈGES - ARPEGGI - ARPEGGIOS - ARPEGIOS
In these arpeggios, only your fingers move, be sure to keep your right hand in the same position.

Next we'll work on four pieces :
- page 18 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) QUATRE ACCORDS
Improvise different patterns of arpeggio and different patterns of accompaniment while keeping strictly to the time signature, key and chords indicated.

- page 61 José FERRER Y ESTEVE (1835-1916) EJERCICIO N°6
Play the melody in the bass with as much legato as possible (without breaks between the notes). Damp the notes of the accompaniment, by placing your fingers on the strings, where indicated by the rests. Try out other fingerings if, in bar 7, you find the indicated fingering difficult for playing the C# and the G. I recommend that you experiment first with the various possible fingerings, (fingers 1 and 2) (fingers 1 and 3) (fingers 1 and 4) (fingers 2 and 3) (fingers 2 and 4) (fingers 3 and 4) until you finally settle on the one that allows you to obtain the best result.

- page 63 ANONYME A CANOA VIROU
In order to mark the beat yourself, you need to count the smallest rhythmic values out loud as you play, as indicated on the score: "1 e 2 e 3 e 4 e" ("1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and" in English)

- page 64 Fernando SOR (1778-1839) LEÇON XV opus 60

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and pieces for one week and then to post your recordings on the forum for:
- page 18 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) QUATRE ACCORDS
- page 61 José FERRER Y ESTEVE (1835-1916) EJERCICIO N°6

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exan qualifying submissions:

QUATRE ACCORDS
EJERCICIO N°6
:( + ♫ = :)

Ken Kim
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 09

Post by Ken Kim » Wed May 01, 2019 2:06 am

Hi, D02 fellows. :bye:
Whew, 9th lesson it is.
:merci: Thanks to Maestro Delcamp for another wonderful lesson. :delcamp_fiesta:

Here are my 3 pieces done with some mistakes here and there. :D
It is definitely getting harder and harder. A Canoa Virou is real challenging piece. :chaud:

Any advice or comment are welcome.:ouioui:
Good luck with Exam, Judy, Mike and Linda. :okok:

Ken
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Robert England Hauser
Amalio Burguet Especial
Cordoba Master Series Rodriguez
Cordoba Master Series Torres

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Wed May 01, 2019 9:54 am

Ken Kim wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 2:06 am
It is definitely getting harder and harder. A Canoa Virou is real challenging piece. :chaud:
Are you sight reading these Ken or just practicing ahead??

Whichever, you are certainly in the running for ane of the highest grades in the exam.

Best of luck/skill to you all
Colin

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Wed May 01, 2019 1:19 pm

Colin Bullock wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 9:54 am
Are you sight reading these Ken or just practicing ahead??

Whichever, you are certainly in the running for ane of the highest grades in the exam.

Best of luck/skill to you all
Colin
Thank you much for generous comment, Colin. :merci:
I'm just a month ahead of every lesson. :ouioui:
I'm ready for exam. :casque:
Ken
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Robert England Hauser
Amalio Burguet Especial

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Wed May 01, 2019 3:29 pm

Ken Kim wrote:
Hi, D02 fellows. :bye:
Whew, 9th lesson it is.
:merci: Thanks to Maestro Delcamp for another wonderful lesson. :delcamp_fiesta:

Any advice or comment are welcome.:ouioui:
Hi Ken,

Very nice work and enjoyable to listen to. Your guitar really shines, especially when playing A Canoa Virou. These were some of my favorite pieces, the Sor Lesson 15 in particular. I played that one long after this lesson, trying to even out the tempo and to pick up playing speed without messing it up.

I found I had a tendency to start out that piece a little too fast (meaning I could not stay at that playing speed through some busier parts), did you experience this? You may do this already, but I had to use a metronome to determine the tempo at which I could play the difficult parts error-free, and then practice playing at that tempo for the whole piece. With time I could quicken and/or vary the tempo to get the sound I was looking for. Not so much for an upload, but because I liked fooling around with this one.

I also found A Canoa Virou a handful to play, and I got very annoyed with myself on that one. Your version sounds very good to me, better than mine. I could see you were a bit frustrated (it takes one to know one!), but believe me it sounded very good.
1989 Takamine C132S, Savarez Corum.500 ARJ strings

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Wed May 01, 2019 9:02 pm

Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 3:29 pm
Hi Ken,

Very nice work and enjoyable to listen to. Your guitar really shines, especially when playing A Canoa Virou. I could see you were a bit frustrated (it takes one to know one!), but believe me it sounded very good.
:merci: for nice comment, Tom.

2 minuets from 8th lesson took too long for me to be successful.
I don't like above recordings except for Ejercicio. I'll keep on playing and it will get better with less mistakes and solid rhythm eventually.

I do have anxiety of tempo. I believe it is natural to have it because we know what to correct.

I am really bothered by my pull-off, which is too thin and brittle. I do pull-off simiar like releasing bow. It seems something wrong with my slur.
Lesson 8,9 and 10 seems more like D03 pieces but very enjoyable to play.

Good luck with your exam, although you don't need one. :wink:
Ken
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Robert England Hauser
Amalio Burguet Especial

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Thu May 02, 2019 12:45 am

Ken Kim wrote:

Ken, you remain my Delcamp inspiration. Honestly!

And Colin is right - your performances are top-of-the-grade. I know you will ace the exam piece. Your initial rendition of the Irish Tune, is terrific as it is and that was before you even worked on it for the exam.

I hope you remain active on the English Board for D03 and do not switch over completely to the French Board next year.

Best, Judy

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Thu May 02, 2019 2:56 am

Judy Verbeeten wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 12:45 am
Ken, you remain my Delcamp inspiration. Honestly!
I hope you remain active on the English Board for D03 and do not switch over completely to the French Board next year.
Best, Judy
Thank you much for compliment, Judy.:merci:

To be honest, I decided to go french board fully, but I will keep posting here also for you. :ouioui:
It is just not many support and encouragement from english board. :?
Hopely, D02 for this September will be very active since current group of D01 has many members. :discussion:
Last edited by Ken Kim on Fri May 03, 2019 2:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ken
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Robert England Hauser
Amalio Burguet Especial

Linda Kimbrel

Post by Linda Kimbrel » Thu May 02, 2019 11:31 pm

Ken Kim wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 9:02 pm

:merci: for nice comment, Tom.

2 minuets from 8th lesson took too long for me to be successful.
Lesson 8,9 and 10 seems more like D03 pieces but very enjoyable to play.
Ken, I also put a lot of practice and effort to those minuets without ever feeling entirely comfortable with them. I can feel less discouraged now that I know I wasn’t the only one! If you are thinking these last pieces are more like D03 material then I am encouraged to keep working on them. I will just fault the music instead of myself when I stumble over a tough section. Thanks! I’m sorry to see you go over to the French forum but it is a good decision for your own progress.
Linda K

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Fri May 03, 2019 2:44 am

Linda Kimbrel wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 11:31 pm
Ken, I also put a lot of practice and effort to those minuets without ever feeling entirely comfortable with them. I can feel less discouraged now that I know I wasn’t the only one! If you are thinking these last pieces are more like D03 material then I am encouraged to keep working on them. I will just fault the music instead of myself when I stumble over a tough section. Thanks! I’m sorry to see you go over to the French forum but it is a good decision for your own progress.
Linda K
Hi, Linda. :bye:
When you listen Carulli Rondo from 10th lesson, it surely doesn't sound like for D02 at all. :shock:
It is getting harder but more joyful. :ouioui:

I'll stick here in English forum also. :D
It is good to use Google Chrome as a main browser since they translate whatever language to English. Chrome has a option for that. You can just set Chrome to translate everything to English. :discussion:

**Moderator from french board told me not to add a trill. She said that play as it is on the score. Good luck with exam, Linda.:okok:
Ken
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Robert England Hauser
Amalio Burguet Especial

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Wed May 08, 2019 2:32 pm

Linda Kimbrel wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 11:31 pm
If you are thinking these last pieces are more like D03 material then I am encouraged to keep working on them.
The final lessons always seem to be ahead of the average for the grade and it’s a measure of your progress that you can even attempt them. I always view them as a taster for next year.

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Wed May 08, 2019 3:06 pm

Colin Bullock wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 2:32 pm

The final lessons always seem to be ahead of the average for the grade and it’s a measure of your progress that you can even attempt them. I always view them as a taster for next year.
Thanks Colin. Good to know about the progressive difficulty of the last couple of lessons. I am also pleased to know that Ken Kim will also post on the English board next year, for D03. I find his advice and comments very valuable. Otherwise (if there are no new recruits), it would be down to only Linda and myself (as Mike Cook is also completing D03 this year).

I have noticed that some students, such as Ken Kim and Tom Wimsatt participated on both the English and French boards to get more feedback, since there were few students in their respective levels on the English board.

Is it correct to assume that if a student has gone through the requisite 4 steps of the initial registration process on the English board, and participated fully on the English board, (and they have already registered and posted there requisite 2 posts on the French board), that they can just start participating in the lessons on the French board also, without passing through any other hurdles?

Any thoughts about posting the same videos for the lessons on both the French and English boards, so basically a student qualifies for exam status on both boards? Or is it advisable to just seek exam status on one board, and merely peruse the postings on the French board, with occasional comments? Or would that be viewed as unwelcome interloper commentary, if the individual is not actually posting their own videos?

I am positing these inquiries now, with a view to considering participation on both the English and French boards next year. Not sure how full dual participation is viewed. I would appreciate your take on this issue.

In addition, may I ask you what the exact 'rules of engagement' for maintaining active status (on the English board) are now? I understand that the new rules require that the student posts at least once weekly. Does this requirement remain in place for all 10 lessons, or only for the first 7 lessons? And what about when all 10 lessons are completed, over the summer months - what are the posting requirements then?

Thanks for your help. Sorry about the length of this posting. Best, Judy.

Linda Kimbrel

Post by Linda Kimbrel » Wed May 08, 2019 3:21 pm

Those are very good questions, Judy, I am interested in the answers also. My personal concern for joining and participating in the French board is simply my lack if fluency in the French language. Ken has said that his Chrome browser has an option to automatically translate into English, but Chrome is not available for my iPhone and iPad. It will be laborious indeed to have to skip between the forum and a translator every few words to u understand what is being said or make a comment. And the requirement is that the user be able to make themselves understood in the language of whatever forum board he/she belongs to. But you and I would almost have to try using another board, since I’m not a terrific critic or advisor!

Thank you, Colin, for your comment. Good to know I had reason for feeling “pushed” by these last lessons!
Linda K

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Wed May 08, 2019 6:06 pm

Judy Verbeeten wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 3:06 pm
Hi, Judy. :bye:
Let me give you some my answers. :ouioui:

I have noticed that some students, such as Ken Kim and Tom Wimsatt participated on both the English and French boards to get more feedback, since there were few students in their respective levels on the English board.
I doubted that I was doing fine and I wasn't sure how I was doing.
I felt needs of criticism. There is a better D02 Student, Patrick Debril in French forum. He is amazing. Most important matter is that you will get great advice from actual teacher and advanced players. Great feedbacks and lots of encouragement.

Is it correct to assume that if a student has gone through the requisite 4 steps of the initial registration process on the English board, and participated fully on the English board, (and they have already registered and posted there requisite 2 posts on the French board), that they can just start participating in the lessons on the French board also, without passing through any other hurdles?
French board has exact same rules but it is very separate forum, which means you need to process as a new member just like here.

Any thoughts about posting the same videos for the lessons on both the French and English boards, so basically a student qualifies for exam status on both boards? You can post videos on all 4 different language forums as long as you have a status as a online student.

Or is it advisable to just seek exam status on one board, and merely peruse the postings on the French board, with occasional comments? Or would that be viewed as unwelcome interloper commentary, if the individual is not actually posting their own videos? You will be very welcome with occasional comments. There is a student from Italian forum who does exactly what you said. He doesn't post any video on French board but he give out feedback very active.

I am positing these inquiries now, with a view to considering participation on both the English and French boards next year. Not sure how full dual participation is viewed. I would appreciate your take on this issue. French moderator said you can post all 4 forums as long as you can participate good with feedback to your classmates and some good tips to share, etc...

In addition, may I ask you what the exact 'rules of engagement' for maintaining active status (on the English board) are now? I understand that the new rules require that the student posts at least once weekly. Does this requirement remain in place for all 10 lessons, or only for the first 7 lessons? And what about when all 10 lessons are completed, over the summer months - what are the posting requirements then? I would have asked same but I would simply practice till lesson 10. I think these rules are strict to be followed by French Forum only although Prof. Delcamp post it here as a new rule. You are too active to worry about this rule anyway.
Ken
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Robert England Hauser
Amalio Burguet Especial

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Wed May 08, 2019 7:57 pm

Ken Kim wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 6:06 pm

Let me give you some my answers.
Ken, Thanks so much for your helpful answers.

Judy

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”