D03 Classical guitar lesson 09

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D03 Classical guitar lesson 09

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:40 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D03.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

Now we are going to work on a series of exercises:
- page 100, numbers 46 and 47 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) BARRÉ - BARRÉ - BARRÉ – CEJILLA

You have to be careful and listen to what your body is telling you when you begin to practise the barré. Be sure to keep in mind that if you overdo your practising of the barré, you risk developing tendonitis which often takes a long time to heal and will cause you a good deal of stress if, like me, you love the guitar with a passion. Pain is a warning sign that should be respected. As soon as you feel pain, you should have the wisdom to stop practising immediately until the next day. In the 80's, I wasn't prepared to listen to the pain caused by practising the barré, and only a total break from the guitar lasting a whole year enabled me to start playing again. Now I stop immediately at the first warning sign of pain. Since I started being careful, I've had no more problems.

To acquire the technique for the barré, it is essential above all not to force it. The ideal is to practise a little, but every day.

- For greater effectiveness, the thumb is placed opposite the middle finger, rather than behind the index finger making the barré.
- Place the index finger very close to the fret, almost on top of it.
- Make sure that your shoulder, forearm, wrist and hand are really relaxed. Only the fingers should be exerting a light pressure, otherwise you'll be heading for disaster and at risk of jeopardizing your future progress by giving yourself tendonitis. Relaxing the arm and forearm allows you to take advantage of the weight of the arm and forearm to help the index finger to press more easily against the strings.
- Avoid bending the left wrist, as that will hurt and will impede the action of the fingers. Find the position (of the guitar neck, your elbow and your shoulder) which will allow you to make the barré without bending your wrist.

- The creases of the finger joints cause some slight problems. In particular the crease of the joint between the last two bones of the index finger (the middle and distal phalanges).

To illustrate this, here are 2 photos of my right hand index finger ready to make a barré (I am left handed). I am not pressing on the strings, so that the crease of the joint is more visible.
1. In this photograph, the joint crease of the index finger is situated exactly over the third string, so the third string will not be pressed fully against the fingerboard, and the sound will be muffled or non-existent.
joint crease of the index finger on the 3rd string
2. A solution is to position this crease where it will not cause a problem (between the strings)
joint crease of the index finger between the 3rd and 4th strings

Practising the barré demands patience. The first results of this practice (improvement in strength) only become noticeable after several weeks or months of daily practice.

The tension of the strings (normal, hard, or extra hard) also plays a role in barrés. A set of "extra hard" tension strings requires more strength than a "normal" tension set. A "normal" tension set of strings and a low action* will help you.
* The action of a guitar is the distance between the stationary string and the frets, usually measured at the 12th fret. You can have the action adjusted by a luthier.

Next, we will be working on 4 pieces.
- page 20 Emmanuel ADRIAENSSEN (1554-1604) BRANLE ANGLAIS

- page 21 Gaspar SANZ (1640-1710) JACARAS

This dance will serve as a basis for improvisation work proposed in lesson N. 7. The sequence of the chords requires imagination to avoid monotony. In order to avoid monotony use dynamic changes (fortissimo, forte, piano, pianissimo), different sound colors (sound hole, fingerboard, bridge, with nail, no nail) and different strumming styles: rasgueados, plucked chords, arpegiated to the bass or treble, etc … .

- page 80 ANONYME (ca. 1850) NESTA RUA
The piece is in 2/2 time. Maintain some flexibility in your rhythm (rubato), while balancing the parts where you speed up against those where you slow down, so that you don't alter the overall duration of the phrases.

- page 81 ANONYME (ca. 1850) SAMBA LELE

I look forward to hearing you play these exercises and tunes.
- page 20 Emmanuel ADRIAENSSEN (1554-1604) BRANLE ANGLAIS
- page 21 Gaspar SANZ (1640-1710) JACARAS
- page 81 ANONYME (ca. 1850) SAMBA LELE

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

BRANLE ANGLAIS
JACARAS
SAMBA LELE
:( + ♫ = :)

Ed Butler
Student of the online lessons

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 09

Post by Ed Butler » Mon May 06, 2019 3:05 pm

First attempts

Barre exercise

JACARAS

BRANLE ANGLAIS - lost my concentration towards the end. Getting a lot of background noise on the recording - need to check into that.

Back to exam piece and onto SAMBA LEE, which I am finding more difficult
Cordoba C7

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Mon May 06, 2019 10:45 pm

Hi Ed. I am also finding the exam piece difficult. Good thing we've got some extra time to work on it.
1989 Takamine C132S, Savarez 520 PI strings

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Wed May 08, 2019 2:23 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 3:05 pm
Back to exam piece and onto SAMBA LEE, which I am finding more difficult
Stick with it Ed, you are doing really well.
Don’t forget to register for the exam, you don’t have to take it if you change you mind.

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Wed May 08, 2019 3:56 pm

Hi Colin - thank you.

Do I have to register if I registered last year?

Ed
Cordoba C7

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Wed May 08, 2019 5:38 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 3:56 pm
Hi Colin - thank you.

Do I have to register if I registered last year?

Ed
Yes, you are requesting entry to the specific exam.

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Wed May 08, 2019 5:56 pm

Got it - thank you
Cordoba C7

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Tue May 21, 2019 7:20 pm

I wanted to get a posting of SAMBA LELE, despite all of the stumbles, before I focus only on the exam piece. I found it hard to memorize this piece while I was still memorizing the exam piece.

Cordoba C7

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Wed May 22, 2019 2:54 am

My practice run at the exam piece. This one is taking some time to play well, I am glad I've got a little more time yet for work on this.

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Wed May 22, 2019 6:06 pm

Tom - I thought that was well done. You kept an even tempo throughout, dampened when needed, and hit all of the stretches.

Ed
Cordoba C7

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Wed May 22, 2019 9:49 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 6:06 pm
Tom - I thought that was well done. You kept an even tempo throughout, dampened when needed, and hit all of the stretches.

Ed
Thanks Ed. I am at the point where I think that medium-speed repetition may be the best strategy, to boost confidence and smooth things out a bit. I missed a few notes and struggled to stay on tempo at certain parts. So I'm going to focus on those aspects at this point.

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Thu May 23, 2019 10:25 am

Tom - that is the way I am working on this piece. Thanks to your musescore.

Ed
Cordoba C7

Mike Cook

Post by Mike Cook » Fri May 24, 2019 1:42 pm

Wow! I'm running behind trying to prepare for the D03 exam, but I want to try to finish this lesson too. The exam piece is beautiful. Time to turn my attention back to the lessons.

Best of luck to everyone on the exam!

Mike
2019 Elias Bonet Monne Traditional Cedar/Green Ebony
2017 Cordoba 20th Anniversary Guitar
1993 Jose Ramirez R2
2008 Fender Strat, Eric Johnson Signature Model
1966 Gibson Melodymaker
2013 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe EC Studio

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Mon May 27, 2019 1:08 pm

Just a reminder to get your exam submission in on time. Don’t leave it too late in case of server/network problems and remember that the Spanish forum is currently on UTC+2 as it is daylight saving there.
This year a video is prefered although mp3 will be accepted, next year it will be video only for both lessons and exams.
Wishing you all the best in the exams

OlgaVovk

Post by OlgaVovk » Mon May 27, 2019 4:05 pm

Dear all,
these are 2 pieces for lesson 9

G Sanz Jacaras
I have issues with playing diagonal barre, my finger is too short for my guitar. So I foubd a work around.

And Nesta Rua,
again it was the music that sounded so foreign for me. I spent 2 weeks only to familiarize myself with the melody amd music per se.

I still need to work on legato and rubato, but it getting closer :-)

Thank you!
Olga

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”