D03 Classical guitar lesson 09

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Colin Bullock

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 09

Post by Colin Bullock » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:16 pm

Mike Cook wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:09 pm
Are we at liberty to use alternate left hand fingerings if we find something we like better,
Mike
Alternate fingerings are ok. I usually try the given fingerings first, but sometimes find an alternative is better for me - I believe that is valid learning.
There isn’t a limit on how long to take for posting, normally it would be within the month, but around exam time the priority has to be the exam.
Ed Butler wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:24 pm
Colin
Until your message, I was pretty much in the mood of giving this up (Delcamp, not the guitar).
Ed
I would echo Mike and say it’s about what we achieve compared to where we started that’s important. I, for example, will never achieve the fluidity and musicality that Ken and Mike achieve, but my personal target was to improve my sight reading and familiarity with the higher positions; for that reason I never memorise a piece.
I’ll give some thought to the legato, but for starters I would suggest working on a small section of, say, Nesta Rua playing it very slowly and practicing changing from one note to the next as quickly as possible, then slowly increasing speed. Scales can also help.

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:13 pm

Mike Cook wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:38 pm
Colin - another question: what are the rules on how long it takes to post a recording for a lesson? I was super busy preparing for the exams, leaving little time for lesson 9. I am about to start the lesson but lesson 10 is about to start. Should I skip 9 now and focus on 10? Or can I count our 9 into June and also work on 10?

I don’t suppose it matters as the exams have past, but I also do not want to miss anything.

Mike
Hi Mike. I'm in the same boat, I'm still working on lesson 9. We still have time, until they lock the lesson which won't happen for a while. I figure I'll be ~ 1-2 weeks late starting on lesson 10. That's ok, a lot of folks do this during exam time.
1989 Takamine C132S, Aquila 19C strings

Mike Cook
Student of the online lessons

Post by Mike Cook » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:25 pm

Thanks Tom. I have a long way to go on Lesson 9, but I'll get something posting within two weeks. I see that you are playing on the Savarez carbon trebles. How do you like them?
2019 Elias Bonet Monne Traditional Cedar/Green Ebony
2017 Cordoba 20th Anniversary Guitar
1993 Jose Ramirez R2
2008 Fender Strat, Eric Johnson Signature Model
1966 Gibson Melodymaker
2013 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe EC Studio

Mike Cook

Post by Mike Cook » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:37 pm

Colin - Thanks for the feedback. I know we all appreciate your help and feedback with our questions.

Are we allowed to participate in D03 next cycle if we already have a diploma for that level? I ask because I feel I can get more out of D03 from the unassigned pieces, although I do intended to register for D04 in the fall.

Mike
1993 Jose Ramirez R2
1966 Gibson Melodymaker

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:36 pm

Colin, Mike - thank you. I'll evaluate my progress and decide on D04 later in the summer. In the meantime I have found exercises from Douglas Niedt and Bradford Werner that focus on legato playing using octaves. These exercises, along with employing these principles to the remaining D03 exercises will make up a good part of my daily practice routine for the summer.

Ed
Cordoba C7

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:34 pm

Mike Cook wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:25 pm
Thanks Tom. I have a long way to go on Lesson 9, but I'll get something posting within two weeks. I see that you are playing on the Savarez carbon trebles. How do you like them?
Hi Mike. This is my second set and I like them. Some time ago Ed asked one of the guys on the Spanish forum (I think is was the Spanish forum) about strings and he mentioned these, so I decided to give them a try. They give the guitar a little more "punch", something it needs since I had to significantly lower the saddle/string break angle to get decent action.

These, and the Aquila Alabasatro 19C strings are what seem to work best for my guitar. I also like the "plastic-like" feel of the trebles of the Aquila strings (better LH finger grip).

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:12 am

Mike Cook wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:37 pm
Are we allowed to participate in D03 next cycle if we already have a diploma for that level? I ask because I feel I can get more out of D03 from the unassigned pieces, although I do intended to register for D04 in the fall.

Mike
No problem participating and posting pieces from that level. You could probably help some of the newcomers to that level.
You won’t be able to take the exam again; that rule is to prevent someone repeating a year toget a better grade.

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:50 pm

Mike Cook wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:37 pm
Mike, it would be great if you decided to participate again in D03 next year. - just for the fun of it. It looks like the English Board D03 group might be quite small, if we don't extra recruits.

Judy

Mike Cook

Post by Mike Cook » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:21 am

Judy - I just might do it as I am not satisfied with the time I put into D03. I feel like I didn’t get what I could out of it. Also, there would be no pressure for the exam! We’ll see!

Mike
1993 Jose Ramirez R2
1966 Gibson Melodymaker

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:21 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:36 pm
Colin, Mike - thank you. I'll evaluate my progress and decide on D04 later in the summer. In the meantime I have found exercises from Douglas Niedt and Bradford Werner that focus on legato playing using octaves. These exercises, along with employing these principles to the remaining D03 exercises will make up a good part of my daily practice routine for the summer.

Ed
Ed, I've also put sme comments on your exam piece + some other ideas for exercises based on Nesta Rua over in Students Corner.
Feel free to post any videos of your exercises on there and I'd be happy to comment.

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:30 pm

Colin

I did post a video of the open E on the student corner. I'd like to hear if you think I am cutting of the note, etc.

Thank you

Ed
Cordoba C7

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:52 pm

Here's an attempt at Branle Anglais. I know it's slow but it's as fast as I dare at this point. The capo on 5th fret makes things a bit crowded at times.

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:44 pm

Tom - I think one of the main reasons I like your playing is that even when you miss notes I can still hear the "music" as it should sound. Well done.

In the future, I will wait for you to post a piece before I make any final touches. It is easier to hear the "music" when you play than some of the instructor recordings.

Ed
Cordoba C7

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:25 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:44 pm
Tom - I think one of the main reasons I like your playing is that even when you miss notes I can still hear the "music" as it should sound. Well done.

In the future, I will wait for you to post a piece before I make any final touches. It is easier to hear the "music" when you play than some of the instructor recordings.

Ed
Hi Ed, I'm glad you find this helpful. Thanks also, for the nice feedback you have provided throughout the year. We all have had our ups and downs while working these lessons (my best attempt at Samba Lele is still awful, and I'm starting to strongly dislike that piece) and positive perspective on uploads really helps at times.

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:17 am

The thought that pops into my head while trying to play this (instead of the notes, as you can probably tell) is: perhaps I should take up the Lute... :evil:

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”